What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UKPinfest 2022 - August 26th, 27th & 28th

My first Pinfest was 2019, after rediscovering pinball a month earlier. I did one day and was a total newbie.

Last year I attended the entire weekend and it started my journey into attending events and getting to know most of you in person.

And this year we thought why the hell not and brought 8 games in a van (4 ours and 4 of @MajesticPinball's) beautiful Gottliebs.
I wanted to give something back and was a bit hasty (see Jurassic Park) but had absolutely no issues with the other 8, was just happy to contribute to a great event that started my journey into real pinball and eventually pinball ownership.

My huge thanks to the NLP guys who helped set up our games, plus going further and putting our replacement MPU into diner then fixing a few gremlins with help from @pinballmania

I don't think I played much pinball at all, mostly I wandered, chatted and enjoyed the atmosphere.
Oh and drunk. I got myself into a sad mess after drinking Saturday then thinking I'll use my main comp tickets on Saturday night 😂 awful. I'm not a huge comp person, I like the fun of it and I'll never be that good. But to be near the bottom after managing middle table last year (my first ever comp) it put me into a low mood (blame alcohol and the exhaustion).

I absolutely loved watching our Locomotion get destroyed in the classics final by Andy Foster @PUP and the rest of the top players.
Definitely a highlight of the weekend.

There's actually too much to say...

So thank you to Big Phil and the crew, @MajesticPinball for being my brother in pinball, sharing a van and too much else to mention ✊🏻

Cheers all to the kind comments on how our games play, I obsess over these things, they may not be super mint or new playfields but people seem to enjoy playing them over and over..😁

I'm so proud to be a part of the best pinball event for the UK.

Can't wait for next year, I'll bring Jurassic Park😁

What a weekend that was! Absolutely shattered right now but had a great time, my only regret was not getting to spend more time with you all.

Thanks to all of you for your planning, effort and execution on what was a brilliant event!

I would also like to pass on my thanks for how amazingly the kids were treated, it can be intimidating for them but you all made them feel welcome and part of a bigger family which is priceless!

Secondly James, @Jackpot 's son. Seeing him play in the main comp, carrying his stool with him and putting up some decent scores at times.

Definitely one to watch! @Jackpot popped over with his family a couple months ago on their way back from a holiday. We walked into the pinball room to find James on AFM destroying mars. He's got the GC on it still 😳😂👍

It was my first Pinfest for several years, for multiple reasons, some logistical, some personal. However for obvious reasons this one will hold a special place in my heart.

What an awesome weekend! As others have said, It's near on impossible to thank everyone individually.

Above all, massive heartfelt "thank you" to @Big Phil and ALL the team for putting on such an amazing event - Again! This also includes those that donated their prized machines to make the event what it is - without each and every person and their involvement, however big or small, it wouldn't take place. Those that put on tournaments, raising Cash for charities (which is particuarly important in the current climate where charities get affected more than most, however are needed more than ever) and gave up their personal time to make the weekend what it was. Thank you.

It was great to see so many people i hadnt caught up with for a number of years. So many faces that greeted me like we last caught up only yesterday. New faces of people i have chatted to for a good while but had never met.

One thing shone through above everything else for me - The sense of community. It is this that will drive me on to make some changes here over the coming year to improve what we have, and make things better for everyone.

On a personal note - I am still incredibly humbled to be inducted to the Hall of Fame. I had loads of people come up and congratulate me on the weekend, and tell me that it was well deserved - I dont see it as it's just something that needed to be done (and done "properly" at the time). All i do is keep this place ticking over. Think "custodean".
Please remember though - @mufcmufc and @Calimori (And until very recently @Sgt GrizZ ) are here alongside myself and do a sterling job - they have kept me sane and this place certainly wouldnt exist without them. They are my sounding board, and keep the standards here high. Everyone gives up their time for free to support this site and the cause. So a personal thank you to those guys for their continuing support and for making this place what it is today.

Post #510 edited with the following addition: -

What was very touching was seeing the younger generation coming through. @DanLewell 's daughter getting through to the main finals. Just wow! And thank you for arranging the juniors comp! @Jackpot 's children playing was just jaw dropping. They weren't even taller than a pinball leg yet they were taking playing the games in their stride. Talk about David & Goliath! It truly was amazing to see. Even entering the main competition!

I have to give @pinballmania a mention too. He donates machines and he's there assisting in repairs over the weekend. It's a blessing he lives so close. I don't think he sees it that way though :rofl:

A great amount raised for charity too on those beautiful machines in reception. Thank you @CHRIS B PINBALLS @philpalmer

It was my first Pinfest for several years, for multiple reasons, some logistical, some personal. However for obvious reasons this one will hold a special place in my heart.

What an awesome weekend! As others have said, It's near on impossible to thank everyone individually.

Above all, massive heartfelt "thank you" to @Big Phil and ALL the team for putting on such an amazing event - Again! This also includes those that donated their prized machines to make the event what it is - without each and every person and their involvement, however big or small, it wouldn't take place. Those that put on tournaments, raising Cash for charities (which is particuarly important in the current climate where charities get affected more than most, however are needed more than ever) and gave up their personal time to make the weekend what it was. Thank you.

It was great to see so many people i hadnt caught up with for a number of years. So many faces that greeted me like we last caught up only yesterday. New faces of people i have chatted to for a good while but had never met.

One thing shone through above everything else for me - The sense of community. It is this that will drive me on to make some changes here over the coming year to improve what we have, and make things better for everyone.

On a personal note - I am still incredibly humbled to be inducted to the Hall of Fame. I had loads of people come up and congratulate me on the weekend, and tell me that it was well deserved - I dont see it as it's just something that needed to be done (and done "properly" at the time). All i do is keep this place ticking over. Think "custodean".
Please remember though - @mufcmufc and @Calimori (And until very recently @Sgt GrizZ ) are here alongside myself and do a sterling job - they have kept me sane and this place certainly wouldnt exist without them. They are my sounding board, and keep the standards here high. Everyone gives up their time for free to support this site and the cause. So a personal thank you to those guys for their continuing support and for making this place what it is today.

And it's very well deserved Paul. This forum is the hub of the UK pinball scene and the go to place for finding out about everything be it competitions, repairs, shop logs, buying & selling, events & news.

What a truly great weekend that was, myself, my son and a friend really really enjoyed it, it was our first Pinfest :) Huge thanks to all the organisers, donators and the awesome community for such an awesome event.

I have been following @s000m 's amazing custom Dracula machine and @Ant-H 's work on the stunning T2. Beautiful machines guys, thanks ever so much for allowing us to play on them.

Thanks also to @DanLewell for putting on the kids competition, great fun for the youngsters and good to see them all really enjoying themselves.

We played around 90% of the machines, and my son kept dragging us from pin after pin for 3 player games, great fun. We also had the odd local game with some other nice people.

On the way home it was all Pin talk from the moment we left the hotel until we got home late in the evening. Mostly the discussion was based on what Pins were the favourites.

There were many many greats thats for sure, but the two that are amazing for me were,

Attack From Mars (CGC) - Wow truly stunning and absolute perfection this game, in my opinion.
Godzilla - Again bloody brilliant this one, has the special feel and flow to it ,and I love the theme.

Other great games that stood out and played well for me were,

Cirqus Voltaire
The Shadow
Deadpool
X-Men
Stranger Things

and many many more.. :)

Thanks for the great weekend folks, we will certainly be back at Pinfest in 2023 :)

IMG_20220829_123303.jpg

Cracking weekend as always @Big Phil and a massive well done to everyone involved in the show. Fab to see it was the busiest ever and lets hope that just goes from strength to strength.

Great to catchup with all the old and new faces.

Roll on NERG!! (and oh yes we have been there before!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 - you know who you are!!)

Cheers

Kev n Matt

I have to give @pinballmania a mention too. He donates machines and he's there assisting in repairs over the weekend. It's a blessing he lives so close. I don't think he sees it that way though :rofl:
Thanks. It does have the advantage that all my machines were back home packed away, and I was in the local by 6.15. Less than two hours after closing !!
Thanks @Big Phil for the organisation, and transporting my pins.

Thanks. It does have the advantage that all my machines were back home packed away, and I was in the local by 6.15. Less than two hours after closing !!
Thanks @Big Phil for the organisation, and transporting my pins.

I loved watching the finals, then all of a sudden your games were packed up. You don't mess around with that powered drill taking the legs off.😆

Thanks so much @Big Phil and others for making Pinfest such a fantastic event. It was my second time attending and I had such an amazing weekend, mostly chatting with friends and making new ones. Everyone as always was so friendly. I don't think I've laughed so much over a weekend before. I am so pleased that the VIP sold out and that it was so busy - well deserved, and one of David's train driver friends even came along for the day on the Saturday as a surprise, which was fantastic!

My highlights: taking our lovely machines to Pinfest and driving a Luton van for the first time and being told 'I made it look easy' when I reversed to the loading bay; sitting on the floor with @MajesticPinball laughing at how I wrap legs, and then he and David decided to 'show me how its done' and created some monstrosity with a handle; Mike Parkins and his 'easy wrap' method (we misunderstood and thought he wrapped legs while on the machine and whipped them off like a table cloth - sadly not); the Ladies event on the Friday night which @ailsaclunie and others ran so well (I felt ill but forced myself to go along and had a great time!); finding out that Conrad is a juggling wizard as well as a pinball wizard (and my absolutely horrendous attempts at trying to juggle); playing Fish Tales, my Diner and Theatre of Magic with @Moonraker and getting tips on competition play; @MajesticPinball getting to finally play Joker Poker and completing it on his first ball; the art gallery analysis of Count-Down's artwork with a big group of people; the pizza picnic on the grass in the middle of the hotel with David, James, Reece and Thomas; watching Rich, Andy and Ian getting amazing scores on my Locomotion in the Classics comp; @OTRawrior's hype for Starship Troopers; seeing Turf Champ with its beautiful new backglass.

I'm sure there are more - it was a fantastic weekend, and I am especially grateful to David, James and Reece for spending so much time with me and making me laugh so much!

I also got to play a few new machines that I really enjoyed - Starship Troopers and its mini pink flipper was definitely a fun highlight! And it was great to play some more dog ball (though it was always very busy!). And there were some machines I didn't get to play - T2 and Dracula were both really busy all weekend but looked amazing!

The receptionist at the check out desk said to James that it was so good to see so many people so happy at the hotel, which I think is a testament to how much everyone enjoyed themselves. It was a fantastic weekend!

Attachments

• IMG_20220829_171725.jpg
    IMG_20220829_171725.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20220828_200032.jpg
    IMG_20220828_200032.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 23
Thanks so much @Big Phil and others for making Pinfest such a fantastic event. It was my second time attending and I had such an amazing weekend, mostly chatting with friends and making new ones. Everyone as always was so friendly. I don't think I've laughed so much over a weekend before. I am so pleased that the VIP sold out and that it was so busy - well deserved, and one of David's train driver friends even came along for the day on the Saturday as a surprise, which was fantastic!

My highlights: taking our lovely machines to Pinfest and driving a Luton van for the first time and being told 'I made it look easy' when I reversed to the loading bay; sitting on the floor with @MajesticPinball laughing at how I wrap legs, and then he and David decided to 'show me how its done' and created some monstrosity with a handle; Mike Parkins and his 'easy wrap' method (we misunderstood and thought he wrapped legs while on the machine and whipped them off like a table cloth - sadly not); the Ladies event on the Friday night which @ailsaclunie and others ran so well (I felt ill but forced myself to go along and had a great time!); finding out that Conrad is a juggling wizard as well as a pinball wizard (and my absolutely horrendous attempts at trying to juggle); playing Fish Tales, my Diner and Theatre of Magic with @Moonraker and getting tips on competition play; @MajesticPinball getting to finally play Joker Poker and completing it on his first ball; the art gallery analysis of Count-Down's artwork with a big group of people; the pizza picnic on the grass in the middle of the hotel with David, James, Reece and Thomas; watching Rich, Andy and Ian getting amazing scores on my Locomotion in the Classics comp; @OTRawrior's hype for Starship Troopers; seeing Turf Champ with its beautiful new backglass.

I'm sure there are more - it was a fantastic weekend, and I am especially grateful to David, James and Reece for spending so much time with me and making me laugh so much!

I also got to play a few new machines that I really enjoyed - Starship Troopers and its mini pink flipper was definitely a fun highlight! And it was great to play some more dog ball (though it was always very busy!). And there were some machines I didn't get to play - T2 and Dracula were both really busy all weekend but looked amazing!

The receptionist at the check out desk said to James that it was so good to see so many people so happy at the hotel, which I think is a testament to how much everyone enjoyed themselves. It was a fantastic weekend!
Ah so it was your Theatre of Magic. What a beautiful example it was and super busy all 3 days. Mrs. And I loved playing it. Thank you so much for yours and David’s generosity in bringing your machines and of course can only echo that sentiment for every single one of the collectors/donators and organisers who make PinFest such a warm, welcoming and wild ride for pinheads old and new alike.

I take far too much credit. The team assembled are an absolute goldmine. The best. I couldn't ask for any better. They all just do their thing. Well, until @Atlantis ruins them on an evening with drink then they refuse to work the next morning! They give their all throughout the weekend and also put in a lot of planning weeks ahead of the event. And they all do it for the love of the community.

In my defence I didnt blame the Irish, but the Malibu and Sambuca concoction didnt help and Liz somehow managing to get drinks appearing on the table even after the bar had closed, and I didnt refuse I just said it probably wasnt a good idea for me to be doing the main comp scoring as I was still half cut.

Roll on NERG!! (and oh yes we have been there before!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 - you know who you are!!)

You'll love NERG next year, Ive heard youve never been before.

Just to echo what has already been said many thanks to Big Phil and his whole team who put so much effort into making the weekend what it is. As Gonzo put it, it really is one of the main highlights of the year for so many pinheads me included. It’s a no brainer- a weekend when I don’t have parental responsibilities so I can park up on Friday and for a few days enjoy great company, a few beers and some pinball!

I actually didn’t play that much pinball in the main room as too busy drinking, chatting to old friends and also making some new ones. There was a great mix of pins and credit to everyone who brought them because they held up extremely well and it seemed rare for any pins to be turned off requiring attention.
Thanks also to the half dozen people who offered to buy some of my pins sorry to disappoint you 🤣

Great work again to everyone involved in the planning and running of the tournaments. Watching from the sidelines on sat evening was great fun as people were dropping out of the qualifying group so had to get back to the pins to put up a new ticket. Great banter with @Wayne J when he dropped out and then proceeded to put up the high score on two pins after we joked he was taking his laptop and going home Sunday morning. Also watching @Gonzo smash it to comfortably qualify was awesome viewing!

Special thanks to @ailsaclunie and the Scottish pinball lot for again running the NBA tournament. It’s one of my favourite parts of the weekend year on year. To win my first pinball trophy this year was fantastic and may lead to playing some more competitive pinball in the future and join in the midlands league.

Generally the whole community came across extremely selfless over the whole weekend with so many helping each other out and also playing 2/3/4 player games with strangers.

Thanks to everyone and the only downside is it’s 360 odd days until we do it all again

Just cleaning the pins after a recovery day st Le took the most money so far

Attachments

• 053D4699-7842-4F4A-9E64-77F512542830.jpeg
    053D4699-7842-4F4A-9E64-77F512542830.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 52
  • 6B3E9B6E-C87A-4639-87EB-77A2583729AD.jpeg
    6B3E9B6E-C87A-4639-87EB-77A2583729AD.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 80C7A935-5691-4F7C-9A20-F1CA5A625BA6.jpeg
    80C7A935-5691-4F7C-9A20-F1CA5A625BA6.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 49
  • F7A14219-B58E-4D97-8D34-CC4F3D01451D.jpeg
    F7A14219-B58E-4D97-8D34-CC4F3D01451D.jpeg
    161.2 KB · Views: 45
  • C93D66D9-0998-450C-B015-5E80C7AC0844.jpeg
    C93D66D9-0998-450C-B015-5E80C7AC0844.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 58
Rush was the worst out of the 4 but still happy with what it took will post earnings when I set it up for a clean
I played it on Friday Chris, it was pretty easy to earn another credit so maybe that's why it did the worst? Unless you altered it later or it self adjusted the replay level?

Got home last night and still in recovery today 😀 what a weekend - absolute great fun - would love this to be a week long type convention Phil - like they do in America for things like Star Trek 😀 there was just too much to do and too many lovely folk to talk to - I got a chance to play some pins on Saturday night and loved Monte Carlo, diner and the lovely wcs .
Some thoughts for next year -
-1. expand the best in show to include different categories and have a voting system - wee postbox type thing for everyone to put in a vote
2 , make the womens contest a bit quicker -we expected 12-16 . Got 32 . Absolutely brilliant but we were not prepared and some had to sit a while to get on the machines - in a hot room - with lots of wine - and me droning on 😀 no wonder some got fed up but it was nice to get some introductions - was a real ****er that Diane had to get Colin to open the Doritos dip jar 😀😀😀 kudos to Tony for trying to get in with his ‘ it’s my right as a man’ t shirt . Got lots of help and suggestions for improvement and thanks to NLP for keeping the machines going - also thanks to Wayne for handing a bottle of Prosecco 😀 and there was also chocolates for someone ? ❤️
3. So sorry to all those that missed getting a shot of the NBA comps - only 24 can play in current format and we must have had about 50 plus in the hat - we will review this and look for it to be more inclusive but apologies again to those that were disappointed - watch this space for next year . My favourite part of this was the under 12’s comp - wee tiny folk on stools playing brilliantly- just melted my heart ❤️
Congrats to Paul and NLP for their introduction to the hall of fame - very well deserved . I am chuffed to bits for being the Scottish rep on tne committee and look forward to working with some of the others on this , who are some of the longest members of this community .
Thanks to the other members of the Scottish pinball asses - Colin, Chris and traci . They had a lot to put up with .
Fantasia - I was right about Man Utd in Tne quiz 😀😀
Lastly thanks to everyone who listened to my moans about my feet - I now have my shoes back and who got involved in the fun and shenanigans. I have not laughed so much for a while - too many to individually mention but I hope you know who you are .
Just love you all xxx

Gosh - sorry / I am in the middle of down loading some photos - and I have pressed the wrong ones - feck feck feck - don’t know how to stop download but will delete asap - was meant to be some photos of the kids NBA s - so sorry

Think this is right this time 😀😀

Attachments

• E6D48CC2-13C7-4428-8621-D04051734AAB.jpeg
    E6D48CC2-13C7-4428-8621-D04051734AAB.jpeg
    227.2 KB · Views: 50
  • EE6EE22C-4F60-4304-97BF-122ABC73E80D.jpeg
    EE6EE22C-4F60-4304-97BF-122ABC73E80D.jpeg
    190.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 8365CC0C-9AAF-4848-8A06-E6009CF28C82.jpeg
    8365CC0C-9AAF-4848-8A06-E6009CF28C82.jpeg
    188.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 6FB82443-5746-44F2-96DE-B37A09F59201.jpeg
    6FB82443-5746-44F2-96DE-B37A09F59201.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 52
Got home last night and still in recovery today 😀 what a weekend - absolute great fun - would love this to be a week long type convention Phil - like they do in America for things like Star Trek 😀 there was just too much to do and too many lovely folk to talk to - I got a chance to play some pins on Saturday night and loved Monte Carlo, diner and the lovely wcs .
Some thoughts for next year -
-1. expand the best in show to include different categories and have a voting system - wee postbox type thing for everyone to put in a vote
2 , make the womens contest a bit quicker -we expected 12-16 . Got 32 . Absolutely brilliant but we were not prepared and some had to sit a while to get on the machines - in a hot room - with lots of wine - and me droning on 😀 no wonder some got fed up but it was nice to get some introductions - was a real ****er that Diane had to get Colin to open the Doritos dip jar 😀😀😀 kudos to Tony for trying to get in with his ‘ it’s my right as a man’ t shirt . Got lots of help and suggestions for improvement and thanks to NLP for keeping the machines going - also thanks to Wayne for handing a bottle of Prosecco 😀 and there was also chocolates for someone ? ❤️
3. So sorry to all those that missed getting a shot of the NBA comps - only 24 can play in current format and we must have had about 50 plus in the hat - we will review this and look for it to be more inclusive but apologies again to those that were disappointed - watch this space for next year . My favourite part of this was the under 12’s comp - wee tiny folk on stools playing brilliantly- just melted my heart ❤️
Congrats to Paul and NLP for their introduction to the hall of fame - very well deserved . I am chuffed to bits for being the Scottish rep on tne committee and look forward to working with some of the others on this , who are some of the longest members of this community .
Thanks to the other members of the Scottish pinball asses - Colin, Chris and traci . They had a lot to put up with .
Fantasia - I was right about Man Utd in Tne quiz 😀😀
Lastly thanks to everyone who listened to my moans about my feet - I now have my shoes back and who got involved in the fun and shenanigans. I have not laughed so much for a while - too many to individually mention but I hope you know who you are .
Just love you all xxx
longest members

This year I was volun-told (just joking) to help with scoring on the competition (the one by the stage) - have I said I'm not in the scene before? 😂🤣, if there is the opportunity to get involved in Newcastle I'm up for that in my novice way - I got to meet and interact with so may more of you and to be fair (@Wizcat) I loved it. I got to meet and interact with so many more of the players and hopefully provide benefit in some small way. @Wizcat - I only made one mistake :D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom