What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UKPinfest 2021 - August 27th, 28th & 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some players go so far as to void their card immediately if the first one or two games aren't up to 'their usual standard' so they can more swiftly get back in and have another shot.
😬 Especially if you only have 2 hours on the Sunday to qualify! Will there still be this 2 hour slot? Please?

FWIW I think the format, especially the mini PAPA qualifying card format is perfect for Pinfest, it allows serious and not that serious players to have a go, for not a lot of cash. And Paul and Wayne know what they are doing as TD's, it will be fantastic again.

@Arv will there be time to qualify in classics on the Sunday? When is the finals taking place? It sounds similar/the same qualifying format that Peter did a few years back in the classics? Or I think they used it at the Slam?

In terms of points, if it's the same as 2 years ago for the main comp it made 72% TGP. But the prize pool was also the best that I can remember in any UK comp? Ever?

😬 Especially if you only have 2 hours on the Sunday to qualify! Will there still be this 2 hour slot? Please?

FWIW I think the format, especially the mini PAPA qualifying card format is perfect for Pinfest, it allows serious and not that serious players to have a go, for not a lot of cash. And Paul and Wayne know what they are doing as TD's, it will be fantastic again.

@Arv will there be time to qualify in classics on the Sunday? When is the finals taking place? It sounds similar/the same qualifying format that Peter did a few years back in the classics? Or I think they used it at the Slam?

its hard to disagree on the format other than it’s hard the classics format is slightly disappointing but as a starting point maybe it will be ok.

I just think that the biggest competition opportunity in the UK should be 100% TGP and in my view its not difficult to do that.

What does TGP mean? 🤣

And, do you have to play your three games on three different machines?

Yes you do have to play on three different games.

TGP -> Tournament Grading Percentage

TGP is based on the quality of the format of the tournament. It’s only relevant if you are interested in global ranking points - know as WPPR’s

See ifpapinball.com for more info.

Neil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I just think that the biggest competition opportunity in the UK should be 100% TGP and in my view its not difficult to do that.

I do agree with this. It would have been nice to receive the full 35 point value rather than it being slashed to 25, it felt like I had earned the full value. But I also get it from Wayne and Paul's perspective. I'm just excited its happening, it's been too long!

Lol! Won’t happen this year I can assure you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't worry about it Ben, you had great fun, I remember there was one year at PAPA where Roy Wills spent over $1k on qualifying, only to bomb out in the first round of the finals. I seem to remember the average spend for the qualifiers in A Division was $300 per competitor, so you're fine!

Yeah that's the plan again! You're trying really hard for us to invent a nickname for your last minute qualifying tactic 😁

Yay, I'm on holiday with my wife's family that has been booked for ages all that week, but a Sunday morning swing and hope should be possible 🤞

I do agree with this. It would have been nice to receive the full 35 point value rather than it being slashed to 25, it felt like I had earned the full value. But I also get it from Wayne and Paul's perspective. I'm just excited its happening, it's been too long!

I wouldn't worry about it Ben, you had great fun, I remember there was one year at PAPA where Roy Wills spent over $1k on qualifying, only to bomb out in the first round of the finals. I seem to remember the average spend for the qualifiers in A Division was $300 per competitor, so you're fine!

Yay, I'm on holiday with my wife's family that has been booked for ages all that week, but a Sunday morning swing and hope should be possible [emoji1696]

Cheers Roadshow! Looking forward to returning to pinfest and seeing you and others again! The classics tournament will
Make a change too!

It's also the difference between a competition at a show, and a tournament being the main focus, such as Pinburgh or events at Flipout where pretty much all of the attendees are competition players.

We could easily make it max out to full pts, by lengthening the finals - but that would mean removing the qualifying slot on Sunday :oops: , which we don't want to do and force people in to making it a 2 day comp.

The final format / timing worked better than I could possibly have hoped for. Finishing 5 minutes before the official ending of the show, with the final game still having the potential to produce 3 different winners, and lots of people sat watching the games on the screens and the stream. Another reason for not changing the format too much.

It's also the difference between a competition at a show, and a tournament being the main focus (such as Pinburgh).

We could easily make it max out to full pts, by lengthening the finals - but that would mean removing the qualifying slot on Sunday :oops: , which we don't want to do and force people in to making it a 2 day comp.

The final format / timing worked better than I could possibly have hoped for. Finishing 5 minutes before the official ending of the show, with the final game still having the potential to produce 3 different winners, and lots of people sat watching the games on the screens and the stream. Another reason for not changing the format too much.

Or you could do a different qualifying method. which wouldn't remove the 2 hour but would make it slightly harder for about 4 maybe five people who played on the day, of which only 1 person who turned up just for Sunday made it to the finals.

I don't know of any pinball show that has a tournament that doesn't make 100% TGP and in many they have multple 100% TGP tournaments.

As Wayne said - this isn't a tournament event, it's a tournament at an event. Peter tried a head-to-head style tournament at Pinfest in 2018(?), and I don't think it's unkind to say it was full of challenges - with people wandering off for lunch or generally being difficult to find, to the area being too crowded. If tournament pros like Peter find it difficult, then the best we can do is learn from that and try something different.

In my opinion, again - for an event that isn't solely focused on the comp - then an enjoyable experience is more important than maxing out TGP. Something that even newbies can drop into and have fun without committing all day to, or having to prepurchase entries or risk missing out. It would be nice to max out TGP, but that shouldn't be at the detriment of other factors.

Or you could do a different qualifying method. which wouldn't remove the 2 hour but would make it slightly harder for about 4 maybe five people who played on the day, of which only 1 person who turned up just for Sunday made it to the finals.

I don't know of any pinball show that has a tournament that doesn't make 100% TGP and in many they have multple 100% TGP tournaments.
The qualifying format isn't changing, or open to discussion.

We don't want a competition that requires preregistration, nor ties people to specific time slots or opponents in qualification.

WPPR pts aren't the overriding factor in any competition I have ever set up, nor will they be in the future (I hope). WPPR pts are maybe important to a couple of dozen people max in the UK.

There's always 1 isn't there!

Just to be clear its your event to run how you choose but from my own POV and it seems are per usual everyone takes this as negativity rather than trying to make things as best as they can be:

I believe you can have a format that:

1: Gives 100% TGP
2: Doesn't require pre-registration
3: Doesn't require time slots (although I would argue this current format does given the need to have a qualifying time slot on Sunday!).
4: and helps the UK competitive scene to grow.

If you see our club league at Flip Out and how it grew pre-pandemic doubling the average number of players it was all about the WPPRs;

Cheers,
Neil.

As Wayne said - this isn't a tournament event, it's a tournament at an event. Peter tried a head-to-head style tournament at Pinfest in 2018(?), and I don't think it's unkind to say it was full of challenges - with people wandering off for lunch or generally being difficult to find, to the area being too crowded. If tournament pros like Peter find it difficult, then the best we can do is learn from that and try something different.

In my opinion, again - for an event that isn't solely focused on the comp - then an enjoyable experience is more important than maxing out TGP. Something that even newbies can drop into and have fun without committing all day to, or having to prepurchase entries or risk missing out. It would be nice to max out TGP, but that shouldn't be at the detriment of other factors.

it wasn't great but for a variety of reasons not just the format - head to head is hard but not impossible.

I think that's a sensible approach to avoid it (especially this year).

But most of the biggest tournaments are at shows and they all manage to run multiple TGP 100% events, I manage to go to lots of show stuff and presentations, take part in multiple competitions, see loads of stuff.

The counterfactual on newbies is an interesting one but better for a discussion round the bar than everyone t thinking I'm trying to cause trouble.

Neil.

Bonjour
Votre premier ministre a tellement peur que je gagne votre tournoi qu'il vient d'imposer une quarantaine aux Français afin que je ne puisse pas venir :rofl:
Il n'a pas tord la situation se dégrade très rapidement ici, Cette pandémie est vraiment une saloperie
Je vous souhaite de bien vous amuser et de faire attention à vous
ET comme le dit le terminateur : je reviendrai (en 2022)
Cordialement
Victor

Ps: Big Phill, puis je garder mon billet VIP pour 2022 ou est il perdu??

Bonjour
Votre premier ministre a tellement peur que je gagne votre tournoi qu'il vient d'imposer une quarantaine aux Français afin que je ne puisse pas venir :rofl:
Il n'a pas tord la situation se dégrade très rapidement ici, Cette pandémie est vraiment une saloperie
Cordialement
Victor

Victor :confused:

Désolé tu ne peux plus venir

Bonjour
Cordialement
Victor

Victor,
il y a une possibilité très réelle que les choses aient complètement changé dans 6 semaines.

Je comprends la nécessité de planifier à l'avance un voyage à l'étranger, mais j'espère que les choses changeront suffisamment de temps pour vous permettre de venir.

sinon il y a toujours l'année prochaine

Bonsoir Grand Phil

Si cela ne vous dérange pas je préférerais garder mon billet pour 2022
Je peux annuler le tunnel et l'hôtel jusqu'au 25 Aout , d'ici cette date tout peut encore changer, je prie tous les soir 🙏 l'espoir fait vivre
Cordialement
Victor

My friend emailed Hollie on 16th and had no reply. Is this normal or is she easier to get hold of via phone?

Thanks

She'll come back to you, I'm guessing some staff may be part-time / furlough still.

LOL!

'Le Grand Phil'

Hope ticket sales are going OK buddy! Am spreading the good word, even to people I haven't met before. They also think I am weird.

I said also...

LOL!

'Le Grand Phil'

Hope ticket sales are going OK buddy! Am spreading the good word, even to people I haven't met before. They also think I am weird.

I said also...

Looking forward to seeing you in august buddy it’s been too long!

LOL!

'Le Grand Phil'

I said also...
Is not just them who think you’re weird Vinny ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom