What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UKPinfest 2021 - August 27th, 28th & 29th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even a crap format is better than no comp!

It's my least favourite format too. I prefer playing against other people rather than just playing on my own and comparing scores.

I like that too Dan perhaps we can have two comps there will be enough pins to choose from 100 plus!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even a crap format is better than no comp!

It's my least favourite format too. I prefer playing against other people rather than just playing on my own and comparing scores.
I'm just not consistent or good enough a player to do well in that format so I find it frustrating. on best of I can usually fluke my way through. Ticket format is definitely the toughest format - are the classics following a similar format?

Also it makes it harder to achieve 100% TGP if you don't have alot of players.

Neil.

I'm just not consistent or good enough a player to do well in that format so I find it frustrating. on best of I can usually fluke my way through. Ticket format is definitely the toughest format - are the classics following a similar format?

Also it makes it harder to achieve 100% TGP if you don't have alot of players.

Neil.
Classics here:

Hmm can you help me understand this please- interesting format.

so you have 72% for the finals TGP that's good.

top 2 from each machine but its a card format??

So you have a game and I put the top score on that game I qualify? that's best of 1 which means you won't hit 100% TGP I suspect.

or is it best of 8 of 8 format with top 16 scorers going through? (which is fantastic if so and you easily hit 100% TGP).

Neil.

lso it makes it harder to achieve 100% TGP if you don't have alot of players.
TGP has nothing to do with number of players.

I'm just not consistent or good enough a player to do well in that format so I find it frustrating. on best of I can usually fluke my way through. Ticket format is definitely the toughest format
The format is specifically designed to require consistent play, rather than a 1-off/fluke game. Not all formats need to be the same. There's a place for all kinds.
I like the 'randomness' of the UK Cup (Fa Cup style) head to head knock out format as well.

3 from a selection of how many games?
It's likely to be 10 games (across all eras), but could be slightly lower based on spacing.

I prefer playing against other people rather than just playing on my own and comparing scores.
The problem with qualifying against other players is that it requires a specific commitment to a time, and finding your opponent and takes longer to run. This format allows anybody to commit as much time to the comp as they choose - try qualifying through all sessions, practice on other games once you've already qualified, or just have a single entry and hope to hit a lucky run of 3 games.
The finals (potentially 12 games per player) are all played against someone else.

That desperate to progress are you?
To be fair to @windoesnot , he made the final last time on his own merit, :clap:

Hmm can you help me understand this please- interesting format.

so you have 72% for the finals TGP that's good.

top 2 from each machine but its a card format??

So you have a game and I put the top score on that game I qualify? that's best of 1 which means you won't hit 100% TGP I suspect.

or is it best of 8 of 8 format with top 16 scorers going through? (which is fantastic if so and you easily hit 100% TGP).

Neil.
I ran all this by Josh and he was okay with it. So not much i can say really.

TGP has nothing to do with number of players.

not specifically I agree but the more players you have to play in parallel games it can make it easier to reach more meaningful games; which is why I think a couple of years ago there wasn't 100% TGP.

if you don't have enough players going through to the finals you either have to make it best of 5 or something or you risk not getting 100% TGP and that can affect the time you need in the finals also.

I agree with you on the qualifying format for a show like this, trying to do anything other than number of entries is very difficult and I wouldn't do anything else either. I just think for a show that's attracting a lot of new folks is it really the best format for them?

Cheers,
Neil

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran all this by Josh and he was okay with it. So not much i can say really.
yeah I'm not saying there is anything wrong with it; I'm trying to understand how it works.

Do I need to get a good score on 8 different games or only one?

Neil.

Just one game. Finish in the top 2 to qualify on any game.

Wayne, what is your estimation for TGP then?

22% for qualifying, 44% for the head to head part and 24% for the matchplay final?

and I think the 44% might be lower with the byes (can't remember how they work).

Neil.

One thing I specifically discussed with @Wizcat before submitting and announcing the format was whether we should force the format to have 100% TGP at the expense of us committing our whole weekend to the running of the comp, or adding additional games just for the sake of it. We both agreed on the current format.

As it happens it is likely to max out for WPPR pts, due to the fact that there can be 18 games played en route to winning (72% TGP) plus it is unlimited rebuys - meaning that time available to qualify is also added in to the mix.

It is currently the first sanctioned comp in the UK for over 18 months - I doubt the majority are going to miss the comp if it isn't 100%, but that's there choice if they do :hmm:

Just one game. Finish in the top 2 to qualify on any game.
ok with unlimited qualifying I think you'll be at 80%ish TGP

I assume if same player has more than one top score it would go to best 2/3 after that player?

I assume if same player has more than one top score it would go to best 2/3 after that player?

Yes that would be correct.

I've never played in a (proper) tournament and most of what you're all saying sounds like another language to me.

Could it be explained for an idiot?
I understand you enter... Then you play some pins and record the scores?

I've never played in a (proper) tournament and most of what you're all saying sounds like another language to me.

I think you've pretty much summed it up.

Top X about of players then qualify to play more matches and knock each other out until you're left with the winner.

Deffo, just join in and have fun. That's the important bit!

The bit they are discussing is :
Some comps are knockout from the start.
And there are different ways of qualifying to see who makes it through to the knockout bit.
Then the points bit gets even more complicated as some formats score less points for the winner than others...
Which is all much less important than the having fun bit!

For more detail on the user interface, you pay your entry fee & get an entry ticket, play 3 games of your choice from a selection, write your score & game name on the ticket (get it verified by an official). When you've played your 3, hand your ticket in, and if you're anything like me, see your name not troubling any of the leaderboards.

Some of this may be automated by app entry of the scores by the official.

If I've got any of this wrong, someone'll correct me I hope

I just play my best and have fun David . There will be plenty of people that can explain it to you and help on the day ( not me [emoji2]) There is usually a computer monitor that you can check some results and how you are doing . Paul , Wayne and Shaun also know what they are doing and give you the rules/ objective as you enter or before you play .

UKPinfest will have the following safety procedures in place during the event on 27th, 28th & 29th August.

External and internal doors will be open at the top and bottom of the venue to create a natural air flow.

Hand Sanitising stations will be in place around the venue. There will also be sanitising wipes readily available for you to clean machines before and after use.

Staff will be walking the floor to regularly clean the machines.
Although the use of face masks is not mandatory from July 19th, we would advise the wearing of them when in the main venue for the safety of others unless you are exempt.

Updates will be made to the above as and when required.

We all want to have a great enjoyable and safe environment!

UKPinfest will have the following safety procedures in place during the event on 27th, 28th & 29th August.

External and internal doors will be open at the top and bottom of the venue to create a natural air flow.

Hand Sanitising stations will be in place around the venue. There will also be sanitising wipes readily available for you to clean machines before and after use.

Staff will be walking the floor to regularly clean the machines.
Although the use of face masks is not mandatory from July 19th, we would advise the wearing of them when in the main venue for the safety of others unless you are exempt.

Updates will be made to the above as and when required.

We all want to have a great enjoyable and safe environment!

To prevent over-crowding in the tournament area will numbers be restricted or will tournament games be in a separate room?

Thanks all for clearing it up!
I guess it has to be whittled down to a certain amount for the knockout head to head part? How many is that usually?

Thanks all for clearing it up!
I guess it has to be whittled down to a certain amount for the knockout head to head part? How many is that usually?

Yeah the qualifying phase is a chance for everyone to compete against one another - though indirectly. You can fairly compare your scores on any given competition machine against some of the best in the UK. That alone is worth the entry price if you're at all competitive :D After the qualifying phase, the top 24 go through to a finals phase.

The ticket format in the main comp is (as Neil points out) considered one of the toughest formats for indirect play. It's a format that really does allow the best to come to the top, because it all but eliminates luck. To do well you need to have three back-to-back 'above average' games on machines of your choice from the bank provided. For each game you play your score is ranked against everyone else that played that game, and your ranking position is used to award points for that game. So you most likely need three 'decent or better' ranked games to do well.

That might add a bit of psychological pressure. You've got two good games on your card, you just need one more decent game to have a good score on your card - which machine from the bank are you going to trust not to punish you! Do you want to save your 'favourite' machine for that last game, or would getting a good score on that first help ease the pressure?

The scores against all machines are shown during the comp, so you can strategise a bit about which scores you think you can beat and pick your machines that way.

Another consideration is that any scores entered through the competition are there for everyone to compete against. That means if you want a second (or nth) shot at qualifying, you're potentially playing against your own previous scores! If you've had a great game on your favourite machine, but then bombed on your next two games, you might want to consider voiding your card (not entering your scores into the system) so that if you replay you're not disadvantaged by your previous score/s. Some players go so far as to void their card immediately if the first one or two games aren't up to 'their usual standard' so they can more swiftly get back in and have another shot.

I think the PAPA card format is one of the most interesting formats out there, other than direct head-to-head play of course. It had a pretty good reception last time we ran this format, and I'm confident that anyone new will similarly enjoy it. We'll be able to explain the format individually on the day if anything needs clearing up too. It's a lot easier to understand once everything can be pointed at and demo'd on the day :)

Yeah the qualifying phase is a chance for everyone to compete against one another - though indirectly. You can fairly compare your scores on any given competition machine against some of the best in the UK. That alone is worth the entry price if you're at all competitive :D After the qualifying phase, the top 24 go through to a finals phase.
That's my trouble, I'm not competitive. In fact, you'll *never* find anyone who's more uncompetitive than me ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom