What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UKPinfest 2019 23rd, 24th, 25th August

If the idea is truly to encourage new blood into the comps then why not give 1 entry in to the comp with every show entry.
I like this idea.

Not sure the prize money will get to the level it needs to to encourage people to travel from abroad.
Watch this space :D

Quite a lot of brits travel abroad for comps, but how many choose which comps to go to based on the available prizes. Larger amount of WPPRs would probably be more incentive than larger cash prizes.
I'd say the two kind of go hand in hand. Large prizes will incentivise (some) people to travel. That in turn adds WPPRs which incentivises more people. More people builds the prize pool, and so on. Above all though I think you want a high quality tournament that people can trust and enjoy

I've crunched some data.

There is no data relating to voided tickets, that is the whole point of voiding them - the scores don't go into the database.

4 people would have qualified on every ticket they submitted, 4 others would have qualified on every ticket bar one they submitted.

There were 5 overall highscores which didn't make it on to a qualifying ticket - stressing the element of being able to put together a good run of games not just a lucky hit.

Machine choice for qualifying was significant. A higher percentage of people who qualified had F14, WPT, HS2 and IMdn on their tickets than the average across the show, with CftBL and Circus being lower.

Pinfest Data.JPG

I've also got data relating to the number of entries, how often people's first ticket was their best entry, how often it was their last entry, how many of their tickets would have qualified etc. etc. I'll publish once I've tidied it up and add some more detail.
Only 6 of the 24 qualifiers bought more than the initial 'bonus 4 ticket package'. 1 of them would have qualified on his first attempt, only 2 of them qualified on their last attempt.
I believe that all qualifiers bought the 4 tickets, even if they didn't submit / get to play them.

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the benefit of using and not submitting a ticket?
I get that it might be used for practice, but what advantage is there as far as ranking is concerned?

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the benefit of using and not submitting a ticket?
I get that it might be used for practice, but what advantage is there as far as ranking is concerned?
I got 2nd score on AS, on one of my tickets, but I was competing against the top score I got on a previous ticket. Had I voided my first ticket and not submitted it I would have got a further 5 pts on my 2nd ticket - it could have been significant.
Generally people void tickets when they fall below THEIR previous score.
It rarely makes a lot of difference, but why take the chance.

People can also void a ticket if their first score is rubbish and they want to save time and get back in the queue to start another entry.

Yeah, I think I get it now.
If you have 1 good game and 2 **** ones, you might want to void it and go again without competing against your own good score.

It's a git when your first game is rubbish, so I ended up voiding ****loads of entries!

P.S. Those are meant to be asterisks..!

Really interesting to read the discussions surrounding this

Like the concept of having a cut off after a set number of entries into the tournament- though would not longer be classed as unlimited entry tournament.

On the plus side this is likely to prevent impulse entries.

£5 registration and £5 for the first ticket did seem a bit steep but 4 for 20 effectively gains a bonus entry.

Agree that consistent high score games was the key on one ticket my high scoring games were spread across separate entries!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well done Wayne, Paul and others for stepping up to run the tournaments, and of course the show in general, which I think was a success! It's hard to appreciate the stress and work that it entails when you're introducing something new until you've actually done it. You'll never please everyone.

Personally, I think Pump & Dump is an inferior format to the previous Play X from Y that we used in the past for an enter-on-the-day format.

We got to a point with X from Y where the tournament entry sold-out within days of pre-event registration opening and all tournament machines were fully utilised in the qualifying period, save an hour or so at the end. On the day registration was still possible due to drop outs and I don't think we ever turned anyone away.

Once you have a full entry beforehand, suddenly you have lots more options for head to head for qualifiers play e.g. Swiss system, which I think are better than Play X from Y, and that's why I stopped doing it. The problem was previous resistance regarding usage of machines meaning that we were stuck with max 18 machines (or was it 12?) that inhibited any of the more exciting formats from being possible in the main hall, plus a lack of enthusiasm for expansion outside.

The only solution I and others some saw was to move the UK Open the another event, which has now happened.

So now the Daventry Show has taken a bit of a hit and needs to get some momentum again, which I'm sure it will, there does still seem to be the enthusiasm and the number of new machines being sold is grounds for optimism, I think.

For what it's worth, I didn't compete this time, I don't buy multiple entries to tournaments because I don't believe it's fair and, at a tenner for the initial three game entry, it sounded a bit steep for three plays. (And before you post I'm just being tight, every UK event costs me a grand in flights, car hire and holiday time!)

Anyway, it's good to see tournaments happening again and getting slicker, well done to the organisers! :cool:

Last edited:
Brilliant event, huge thanks to @Big Phil and everyone else involved in making it happen.

I beat Josh in the main comp and then knocked him out in NBA so despite his second place, so I’m taking that as a 2-1 victory and I think there’s a lesson for Josh that if he'd got out of bed earlier, maybe he'd have finished his final game on Dialled In and got the score submitted before Neil hit the close comp button, but losing by a single point was a good result.

Dave deserved it after showing us a great strategy on Whitewater. I then managed to execute it perfectly, but did have to admit this was somewhat by chance as I was flailing around and hitting shots by accident when not looking at the upper flipper!

It was great to meet everyone and chat about things in the bar afterwards - the social side was as much fun as the playing, though still being in the bar at gone 5am on Sunday did little to help my playing later in the day!

I did the journey to Daventry twice, as having got home Sunday night, I headed back up in a mate's van first thing on Sunday to load up machines #5 (Space Jam) and #6 (Robocop) for our collection. (Three days later, Dawn has only just noticed Robocop)

Once again, huge thanks to everyone and look forward to seeing you all again soon and definitely again at Pinfest next year.

A big thank you to everyone that contributed to another great Pin Fest weekend!

I was impressed last year by Phil and his team with how well organised it was and this year was even better! Huge respect for a show very well done!

The comps went very well, great work everyone that made the sacrifice for the rest of us!

Lastly, an apology that Lucky 7 never plunged a ball. It was working, honest!

Back
Top Bottom