What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UKCS 2019

Dan - can I ask one question - why did it take so long to run this? Given the number of players it seems strange.

I personally can’t do two days so assuming I qualify I’ll come just for the Saturday but I look at the tasks and am confused as to why it can’t fit in one day.

Thanks for organising this nonetheless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The format takes a while to run through.

17 x Four player games to determine 3 of the final 4, then the loser bracket for the final place.

Loser bracket runs at the same time as the main bracket but starts a few games later (because we have to wait for 4 losers) so that adds a couple of rounds onto the timing.

Then the final 4 play 6 x 4 player games in the final.

so you're looking at 25 rounds of 4 player games.

If you compare that to the september event at Domino Arcade, there were 10 rounds of 4 players games, and 3 games for the finals. That took us from 10:30 until 6? 7? so increasing the number of rounds from 13 to 25 means it just doesn't fit into a day very well. I've only run it twice, both of which we tried to fit into 1 day and it made the day too long for all involved. I think it was gone 11pm when we left Tilt last year.

17 x Four player games to determine 3 of the final 4, then the loser bracket for the final place.

Loser bracket runs at the same time as the main bracket but starts a few games later (because we have to wait for 4 losers) so that adds a couple of rounds onto the timing.

If you compare that to the september event at Domino Arcade, there were 10 rounds of 4 players games, and 3 games for the finals. That took us from 10:30 until 6? 7? so increasing the number of rounds from 13 to 25 means it just doesn't fit into a day very well. I've only run it twice, both of which we tried to fit into 1 day and it made the day too long for all involved. I think it was gone 11pm when we left Tilt last year.

Would love to take part in something like this but I guess will need to improve on my overall IFPA ranking. With the number of tournaments I enter I should soon be climbing the table.

Not sure why my last few tournaments the points gained are not used in my active rankings? Coming 6th out of 9 players in steve’s birthday tournament wasn’t that bad but came bottom in the others not so. Will see how I get on this weekend (3 tournaments) any tips would be welcomed)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

but I guess will need to improve on my overall IFPA ranking
IFPA ranking doesn't matter for the UKCS. It's about the results of any official IFPA competitions ran in the calendar year. Although the points attributed to the UKCS rankings does relate somewhat to the IFPA pts awarded for that comp.

Not sure why my last few tournaments the points gained are not used in my active rankings? Coming 6th out of 9 players in steve’s birthday tournament wasn’t that bad but came bottom in the others not so. Will see how I get on this weekend (3 tournaments) any tips would be welcomed)
The pts awarded for 1st place in any IFPA comp relate to a number of factors. Quantity of games played (TGP), number of entrants, Rating level of the top 64 players entering. The decay rate of the pts from 1st - 2nd - 3rd etc. etc. also is affected by the number of players. i.e comparing a comp worth 20pts for 1st place with 20 players against a comp worth 20pts for 1st place with 80 players. The 2nd place person in each would actually get different WPPR points.

That's effectively why the bigger comps get a triple whammy boosting pts, more than 25 'meaningful games' played, more than 64 players and the rating of the those players is generally quite high.

My advice would be: Enjoy the comps you enter for what they are, try not to get too focused on chasing WPPR pts as at the end of the day they mean absolutely nothing to anyone outside of pinball (and the majority of people in pinball)

I pretty sure if you went tough on all the game setups you could make it work in a day.

It would be a long day probably 9:30->20:00 and lunch folks would catch between rounds.

IFPA ranking doesn't matter for the UKCS. It's about the results of any official IFPA competitions ran in the calendar year. Although the points attributed to the UKCS rankings does relate somewhat to the IFPA pts awarded for that comp.

The pts awarded for 1st place in any IFPA comp relate to a number of factors. Quantity of games played (TGP), number of entrants, Rating level of the top 64 players entering. The decay rate of the pts from 1st - 2nd - 3rd etc. etc. also is affected by the number of players. i.e comparing a comp worth 20pts for 1st place with 20 players against a comp worth 20pts for 1st place with 80 players. The 2nd place person in each would actually get different WPPR points.

That's effectively why the bigger comps get a triple whammy boosting pts, more than 25 'meaningful games' played, more than 64 players and the rating of the those players is generally quite high.

My advice would be: Enjoy the comps you enter for what they are, try not to get too focused on chasing WPPR pts as at the end of the day they mean absolutely nothing to anyone outside of pinball (and the majority of people in pinball)

Thanks Wayne will do that then I enjoy pinball hence my active participation!

Keen to try the smaller tournaments too!

It would be a long day probably 9:30->20:00 and lunch folks would catch between rounds.

You're right, it probably is do-able, but a 9:30 start isn't easy for people who have to travel 2-3 hours (or more - I don't know where everyone lives) and if they are playing all day then have to drive home at the end of it they would be knackered. So would probably have to stay at a hotel the night before or the night after anyway which defeats the object somewhat of trying to cram it into 1 day.

By splitting it into two days, the 4 finalists are going to be refreshed and playing better for the final which should give us all a better spectacle to watch, we get two days of pinball with friends instead of just 1, everyone finishes at a decent time on the sunday so no-one has to book monday off (or have the kids miss school the next day...:oops:) and there is time for another comp to be run alongside. Loads of benefits.

I think its a fantastic format, especially for the viewer. We nicked it almost directly from the circuit final ladder format. I have watched pretty much every streamed pinball event and without a doubt that first circuit final at the old PAPA facility when Daniele ran the ladder is the best Pinball viewing I have ever seen.

In the last few years, due to pressures from players who wanted more WPPR points (This format is worth very little because of the limited number of players), they changed the format and increased the number of qualifiers. However, they have now changed back, trying to recapture some of that magic they got so right the first time they did it. Obviously within the US they play for a lot of cash and we initially tried to build the pot so we would have something similar, but this was hard to manage.

If we could stream the event, I think it would be fantastic. There is only ever one game going on at a time, so you get to follow the whole bracket, you see the whole competition unfold, which is unlike any other competition format. Obviously at Domino this would be fantastic as with Neil's mobile rig this would be super duper easy to do. You don't need a 'featured group' or anything, basically every game played is a final for those 4 players, its captivating viewing.

It also really rewards those players who have played consistently well throughout the whole calendar year, with them only joining the ladder at the very end. It gives you an incentive to play more, which is always good. Obviously its not going to be to everyone's liking, but if you don't see it as just another competition, but the culmination of a year's worth of competing in which you have managed to qualify as one of the top 20 best players in the UK for that calendar year, then I think its very very cool.

I always wanted to build the grandeur of the event, so for example if we compare it to the US, Bowden who is the current number 1 in the Stern pro circuit, is guaranteed a minimum of $900 because of his great play throughout the whole year. He is in the final already and if he beats the other 3 players who make it to the final he gets a NIB Stern. That is a real incentive to play more and be that number 1! I'm sure @mufcmufc (the current UKCS leader) would love to be in that position!

Dan and Greg do a fantastic job and as Greg has already pointed out, this year has been the highest number of competitions that the UKCS has ever had count towards its overall standing, so those 20 players who qualify have worked really hard to get there! I believe it deserves status, maybe it isn't cash (agreed Dan, the small amount won in each round really wasn't worth it) but definitely something. The winner of the UKCS is a bad ass pinball player.

Anyway, its a really cool event, it could be amazing. Support it, strive to be in that top 20, get down to Special When Lit and run the ladder like Daniele did.

streaming would be good. Dont know if SWL has broadband though?

Does anyone know anyone who could lend us a 4G router for the weekend to allow streaming... :hmm:

streaming would be good. Dont know if SWL has broadband though?

Does anyone know anyone who could lend us a 4G router for the weekend to allow streaming... :hmm:

1c7543097bc95da981d58f839a04f350.jpg

UKCS Finals will be held on 18th and 19th January at Special When Lit in Salisbury

Peter (@Moonraker) will be running a separate comp (or comps) to run alongside UKCS to give people something to do if they are knocked out early. He will announce details in due course.

Waiting for ifpa approval but pingolf on both days, one day being classics and the other being modern. Plan is for 18 hole qualifying then top 8 play head 2 head best of 5 games. No single game play, must be partnered in groups, unless working round or fitting in ukcs games. Practice play on machines not in tournament possible but not on tournament games until tournaments have finished.

Any chance of an update on the standings as we go into the last event of the year :D

Any chance of an update on the standings as we go into the last event of the year :D

Good luck to all those who qualify! I’ve got some way to go but 105th ranked in the UK out of 700 plus players isn’t too shabby! I would expect to enter the top
100 UK players soon!

Good luck to all those who qualify! I’ve got some way to go but 105th ranked in the UK out of 700 plus players isn’t too shabby! I would expect to enter the top
100 UK players soon!

I think this is pretty good going for someone who hasn’t been on the pinball scene for that long...

I think this is pretty good going for someone who hasn’t been on the pinball scene for that long...

Depends on how many events you play in, there are some really good players that are north of 100 but they don't get to the events.

Depends on how many events you play in, there are some really good players that are north of 100 but they don't get to the events.

I do enter a lot of events .... next one is London leauge at flip out followed by the regular Thursday night leauge

Back
Top Bottom