What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

UKCS 2019

robotgreg

Site Supporter
Alias
Greg
Attached are the latest standings for this year's UKCS

For a list of future events check out the thread here:

Attachments

• UKCS 2019.xlsx
    151.9 KB · Views: 40
Hi Greg,

What will you be doing about the 5 days of pinball? Will the lead up comps be seperate or will they all be lumped in together?

Why merge... Open and Classics... Not all players, play in both

Yeah, I get what you are saying. The original reasoning behind having a main comp and a side comp rather than two full comps was so that if someone couldn't make a particular weekend they aren't too disadvantaged by missing two comps.

This was more important a few years ago when there were far fewer comps. We are seeing more and more comps on the calendar now with all the great venues we are seeing, so I think it is less relevant because anyone interested in the UKCS will have enough other opportunities that missing two comps in a weekend isn't a huge loss.

I also think it's a bit unfair to the classics as that gets seen as a side comp.

BUT, that's how it is currently explained in the rules, so I'm leaving it like that for this year rather than changing it half way through the year, with a view to changing next year possibly.

Does anyone know how the IFPA handle points for a weekend like this with two comps running together? Do they both get full points awarded as though they are separate tournaments?

With comps coming thick and fast, here's an update of the latest standings. Still 5 comps to go (plus 1 more results yet to appear in IFPA). With a record 25 comps counting for ukcs this year, according to rules we set up years ago, it will be best 13 that count for the overall standings.

Attachments

• UKCS 2019.xlsx
    188.6 KB · Views: 78
Oh, look who's attended the most events! :rofl:

Last edited:
UKCS Finals will be held on 18th and 19th January at Special When Lit in Salisbury

Format will be the same as last year, 4 player games, don't come last to stay in. Finals will be on the Sunday for the final 4 players who will play each of the 6 games involved.
I'm scrapping the prize money aspect as it was never enough money to make it worthwhile and wasn't a deciding factor for anyone who came to play, and in fact had the opposite effect of putting some people off.

Peter (@Moonraker) will be running a separate comp (or comps) to run alongside UKCS to give people something to do if they are knocked out early. He will announce details in due course.

Is robotbash on the 30th the final decider?

If I’m on the bubble might run a comp on 31st with just me, the wife and our cat LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

UKCS Finals will be held on 18th and 19th January at Special When Lit in Salisbury

Format will be the same as last year, 4 player games, don't come last to stay in. Finals will be on the Sunday for the final 4 players who will play each of the 6 games involved.
I'm scrapping the prize money aspect as it was never enough money to make it worthwhile and wasn't a deciding factor for anyone who came to play, and in fact had the opposite effect of putting some people off.

Peter (@Moonraker) will be running a separate comp (or comps) to run alongside UKCS to give people something to do if they are knocked out early. He will announce details in due course.

So what is happening on the 18th Jan?

18th: Ladder style Knockout stages to determine the final 4 players.
There will be a four player game between places 20, 19, 18 and 17 with only the loser dropping out. The remaining three players are then joined by 16th and play another four player game with loser dropping out and top 3 joined by 15th etc until there are 3 players left so there will be 17 rounds to get to the top 3 players. Machines will all be set to 3 balls with extra balls turned off. (or plunged if they cant be turned off)

The top qualifier in the group ie 17th for 1st match and then the joining player for other rounds will have choice of machine or position. The winner of the previous round will then have the other choice with choice of remaining positions based on result in the previous round. No machine can be played in consecutive rounds so you may be unlucky if your choice of machine was played in the previous round.

There is also a 2nd Chance Bracket, which starts once 4 people have been eliminated from the qualifying. This will be also be four player games, with the loser dropping out. This will continue until there is only 1 player left (the last two rounds of the 2nd chance bracket are a 3 player and 2 player game) who will join the remaining 3 players from round 17 of the main qualifying for the final. Choice of machine or Position is given to the last person joining the 2nd chance bracket, the winner of the previous round will then have the other choice with choice of remaining positions based on result in the previous round. The choice of machines is more restricted for the 2nd chance bracket as you cannot pick the machine last used in the last 2nd chance game, the machine used in the last round of the main qualifying, or the machine currently being played in the main qualifying, so there will only be a choice of the remaining 3 machines. There isn’t any prize money for winning matches in the 2nd chance bracket.

19th: The Final
Final 4 players will play on all 6 machines, with points scored on each machine. 1st Place = 4 points, 2nd Place = 2 points, 3rd Place = 1 point, 4th Place = 0 points. Top Qualifier will have choice of position for the order of play for the first machine, with players rotating on the following machines. So whoever played 2nd will go 1st, 3rd will go 2nd, 4th will go 1st and 1st will go 4th. This will continue for each machine.

The order of the 6 machines to be played will be drawn at random after the order of play is decided.

Can't it be done all on the same day?

Seems unnecessary to have it spilt over two days in my eyes... You did it along side Shine this year... And without a conflicting comp, you'd fly through it in one day

No, we tried to do it in 1 day last year and the year before and it didnt really work.

The first year at flipout we ended up running late and some people were in two finals and had to run between them during games which isnt very fair on them and also meant spectators couldnt watch either comp properly.

This year we started earlier and were still playing much later than everyone wanted to, Nick had to run off to avoid missing his train without watching the end of the game he was in.

It might be a bit quicker if there wasn't a 2nd comp to tie people up some of the time, but without the 2nd comp then some people may travel for 2-3hours for their UKCS game and get knocked out straight away, which wouldn't go down too well either probably.

Its pretty simple...

Saturday for any other comps to you or @Moonraker want to organise
Sunday just for the UKCS

Beginning of the year and most people are skint from xmas and nye

There's not enough time to get done in 1 day. we've tried and it doesn't work. We switched to 3 ball games rather than 4 ball games at tilt and it still ran on for ages.

Before I started running it, the UKCS final was always a 2 day thing and we're going back to that. Not everyone will be happy, but not everyone was happy with us trying to fit it into 1 day either. You would go mad trying to keep everyone happy all the time, sometimes you have to make a decision even if you know that decision wont be well received by everyone.

Personally, I love a Pinball weekend as much, if not more than, just a one day-er, the girls prefer it because they enjoy the hotel more than staying in their own bed for some reason!! For me Pinball is all about a few different things: having a shared hobby with my kids, meeting up with friends, playing loads of different machines that we don't have access to at home, and then there's the semi serious attempt at playing well to try and do well in the comp. But in that order. If the kids didn't want to play, I wouldn't be at anywhere near as many events, similarly if everyone was a bunch or ar$eholes, I wouldn't be as bothered about turning up.

Pinball is a hobby and as with any hobby, its about enjoying yourself and taking yourself away from other stresses in your life. But same as any other hobby there are costs involved that people have to decide if they are comfortable with.

You can get a Premier in in Salisbury for less than £30 for a family room on that saturday, so if you are sharing then that's £15ea (unless you can get 3 in a room, then its only a tenner). Which I don't think is too much of an extra cost burden to prohibit people from coming for a weekend, especially as it means you will get two days of pinball not just one! :D

1574944529646.png

You would go mad trying to keep everyone happy all the time, sometimes you have to make a decision even if you know that decision wont be well received by everyone.
Don't you realise @DanLewell that if you run a comp that doesn't please every single person it's YOUR fault, that you're organising a comp just for their own specific needs and desires?

I'll be there, assuming I qualify.

Back
Top Bottom