What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turtles Vs J Park. What you saying?

huggers

Site Supporter
Alias
Andy Hug
Im A little over excited for the upcoming Turtles pin. Been something of a Turtles nut since I was about 9 years old. That said J-Park is up there theme wise, it's designed by Elwin and Maiden is pretty much my favourite pin of all time. Under normal circumstances I would have paid Greg a visit to play his J-Park but obviously that hasn't been possible of late! Before I over excitedly whack a deposit down on Turtles thought I'd get some input from here. Obviously no ones actually played Turtles but you get the gist I'm sure. What would you go for and why? I know people are going to say wait until you've played both etc etc but just for discussion sake, what do you think is the better prospect at present?

JP2 is better than IMdn - and I have, and love both, so as your favourite pin is IMdn I'd definitely recommend you get JP2, especially as they're available now and code is well progressed with another update imminent.
You will always be able to pick up an TMNT later.

One day I will own both, still have hankerings for IMDN but have to say I am loving my line up at the moment.

I wouldn't make a decision until playing both...

JP is amazing great layout and code! Probably my favorite Stern of all time now

TMNT visually looks amazing
JP2 is better than IMdn - and I have, and love both, so as your favourite pin is IMdn I'd definitely recommend you get JP2, especially as they're available now and code is well progressed with another update imminent.
You will always be able to pick up an TMNT later.

agreed

The logical answer is to wait until the game comes out. Go and play one. Then if you like it call Phil Palmer.

On this thread I would throw in my thoughts which differ from others.

Make your own choice.

@Wayne J will tell you that both of us have our own views on great games.

how good are you at pinball? JP2 is stacked at a higher level of player. TMNT looks more forgiving. I also have IMDN and I prefer IMDN because its less frustrating.

Neil.

Played loads of IMDN and own JP2. Thought IMDN was good but wouldn’t of bought one JP2 however is a very good game. I can understand why there are people out there who just can’t get on with it, it’s not for your below average player. The shots are tight some shots are very tight but if you’re a good player you learn them. The 4 shot skill shot at the start feels soooo good when you nail it but you’re never going to nail it every ball that’s why it puts a smile on your face when you get it. The code is awesome and that’s what makes a good game great.

I think he has one pro left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The 4 shot skill shot at the start feels soooo good when you nail it but you’re never going to nail it every ball that’s why it puts a smile on your face when you get it.
I still haven't got this yet, got 3 quite a few times but always fluff the 4th. As you say if it was easy then it wouldn't be as satisfying.

I have had an jp2 le here for a month or so it rarely gets played as I find it very frustrating particularly the right shots but I am having a good pinball friend round tonight so will put a little more time on it
I hope you manage to get to the visitors centre watch out for those raptors “stay frosty people” :thumbs:

I don’t mind tough and agree tough games make it satisfying when you hit the shots but on this game the shots are all pretty tight and it ends up being a little more frustrating this is partly tough game design but also **** implementation of the turn around shots for example.

But if you look at the game left to right

First shot -> super tight get it wrong and ball is over the slight/outlane
Second shot - very achievable probably the easiest shot in the game but still risk of ball dropping direct onto sling
Fourth shot turn around shot and needs the upper flipper but safe reject
Fifth shot another easier one
Sixth shot the dinosaur - easy shot just need to make sure you get a good hit on the ball if you don’t sdtm - on premium LE the magnet mech on the dinosaur can let go of the ball into danger
Seventh shot - spinner again easy if you hit the ball with pace
Jeep shot - a scarey nightmare of god knows what happens and if you are playing somewhere that hasn’t looked after the mech - the ball can go anywhere! but behind this two critical stand ups shots that on rebound can put the ball anywhere also. I think this is what makes me frustrated the most.
Eighth shot into the pops a crucial shot on smart Missile that along with shot ten (and one) are probably two of the tightest shots in pinball.
Ninth shot, beautiful shot esp on the second skill shot hit wide and hit able usually drops safely
Tenth shot super tight can hit either post and ball is then in danger land.
Eleventh shot - turnaround that tightens and negatively affected by the screws used - changing them makes it more better buts it’s a ****ing clanker.

Then you have the supply drop and 2X scoring shots that are pretty challenging also (not to hit hit to hit safely).

I think my gripe is that a lot of rejects on shots and they all end up SDTM. With Elvira a reject usually is savable with two shots only have a sdtm risk.

Cheers
Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nice write up and without going into specific details I generally I don't get that feeling of frustration or SDTM shots. The main drains for me are left outline first, then right outline. I have got the Pro though so not sure if that is why.

I think there is a nice mix of easy and hard shots. I've still got loads to learn about the intricacies of the rules which is keeping it interesting.

Could also be because i've got my game set up like one in Indisc with high pitch etc.

if i compare the number of tight shots on JP2 its hard to find a game that has so many tight shots. TWD is closest in my line up.

Could also be because i've got my game set up like one in Indisc with high pitch etc.
Just set it up normally and enjoy it, the turnaround shots shouldn’t be difficult to hit. Have you checked your flippers are aligned properly too, as don’t find the shots that difficult on my pro

I'm yet to have a SDTM from a rejected left ramp, and it used to reject a fair bit.
I've had a couple from the spinner if it doesn't quite make it and it's a dead roll right from the top of the playfield SDTM. This could quite easily be saved with a slide save if you were so inclined.
I used to get most of my SDTMs from the ball coming out of the pops through the 'one-way' gate. I've since fixed that by springloading that gate so it can't happen.

As for essential shots that put the ball out of control, there's really only the trap standups behind the jeep and the jeep itself, possibly the right orbit 'O' shot. Even those are near the top of the playfield giving you some time to react as to where the ball is going. The vast majority of other shots give a feed to a flipper to set up your next shot. Glancing off the jeep usually gives a safeish feed and backhanding the trap targets slows the ball down making recovery easier.

Miss your shot and you could be punished, but surely that's the way it should be?

As for amber target and right orbit being tight. Yes they are tight, but especially the amber target it's in your head. Where the jeep is positioned is going to have little effect on if you were to hit the target. If it hits the target it misses the jeep - whatever position it's in. If it hits the jeep it would have missed the target anyway, simple physics tell you that.
The chances are you don't shoot for the O very often, so get less practice on it. There's no debate that it is tighter than other shots, but it's by no means impossible. I'll often have games where my secondary aim is to shoot the loops to work towards the rewards, I've maxed out at over 50 before now.

As for the 4x super skill shot - take the pressure off hitting the O for the 4th shot by going for the MKV skill shot instead - left ramp, right ramp, upper loop, raptor tower. That gives you 25mil and 4 skill shots towards the high score entry, but more importantly then gives you the chance straight away of a 6 way combo by shooting the helipad for the 5th shot and any one of C target, raptor pit or (possibly even jeep) for the 6th combo and a fossil.

Not every game can have mega ball length times like SM or LOTR where every shot is like a funnel and gives a straight feed to the flippers.

Just set it up normally and enjoy it, the turnaround shots shouldn’t be difficult to hit. Have you checked your flippers are aligned properly too, as don’t find the shots that difficult on my pro
I have no problem with the helipad shot, but often get rejects on the raptor tower.

With the glass off I ran the ball along the outside of the feed to the tower, and the screw head does indeed stick up enough to catch the ball and deflect it and take some power off thus causing it to reject more often than I'd expect. Am considering swapping the screw for a flathead, filing it down or even removing it altogether, but it's not that big an issue to lose sleep over.

I'm so torn! Couple of things. J Park shipped with Stern specials play field wise right? Clear coat chipping around the posts or something? Was that all ironed out? The other big consideration is co-op. As anyone who's seen me play will attest, I am not a tournament player. More a get boozy with mates and whack some balls around before stumbling to the pub type player and a co-op mode would be really cool. Wonder whether there is any chance of Stern adding co-op to recent titles after Turtles comes out. If they do we have to hope you won't need a 600 quid topper or whatever to enable it but it would be a massive deal for me.

$600 for the special mode makes UV lighting look like a bargain!

What next, all future code updates need to be an additional purchase too?

And yet there's still going to be folks congratulating stern on their business plan!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I have no problem with the helipad shot, but often get rejects on the raptor tower.

With the glass off I ran the ball along the outside of the feed to the tower, and the screw head does indeed stick up enough to catch the ball and deflect it and take some power off thus causing it to reject more often than I'd expect. Am considering swapping the screw for a flathead, filing it down or even removing it altogether, but it's not that big an issue to lose sleep over.
Yeah I do get the odd reject off raptor tower too, didn’t think about removing the left screw, might give that a go, but as you said it’s nothing major

Back
Top Bottom