What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turtles Thread

Apparently you can tell (apart from the obvious inkjet with a knackered print head) because the earlier run with decent quality print had art underneath a starpost on the left, but the subsequent run(s) had the now trademark "we can't be ****d to fix pooling or chipping, since people keep buying this **** anyway, so we'll have have an unsightly black ring under posts instead, so when it does chip it's not so obvious or they won't cry so much" school of thought.

Apparently you can tell (apart from the obvious inkjet with a knackered print head) because the earlier run with decent quality print had art underneath a starpost on the left, but the subsequent run(s) had the now trademark "we can't be ****d to fix pooling or chipping, since people keep buying this **** anyway, so we'll have have an unsightly black ring under posts instead, so when it does chip it's not so obvious or they won't cry so much" school of thought.

durzel you're pretty angry about this - have you had a stern game with pooling/chipping?

The playfield printing issue is pretty poor. Obvious print head wear or lack of ink, terrible. I would have pulled the trigger on a tmnt pro, but knowing it’s a gamble with the print, on a pin where the art is such a big part, I couldn’t take the risk, and would be wholly gutted if my hard earned 6.5k was spent on a dud. I can live with fixing mechs but the playfield is such a pain to swap out.....
The comments about the cirqus Voltaire being a better buy for the money, can’t argue with that.

At this point I honestly wonder whether this is part of some game they're playing inside Stern HQ. I reckon they've got sweepstakes on how far they can cut corners before people actually do start voting with their wallet instead of just talking about it.

I have to hand it to them though, they are a company with investors and they're really eking out that margin per unit. The actual customers are an afterthought.

At this point I honestly wonder whether this is part of some game they're playing inside Stern HQ. I reckon they've got sweepstakes on how far they can cut corners before people actually do start voting with their wallet instead of just talking about it.

I have to hand it to them though, they are a company with investors and they're really eking out that margin per unit. The actual customers are an afterthought.

they aren't the only ones though, the only manufacturer that is getting it right is CGC. the rest are equally a **** show IMO. although CGC struggling with supply of key components.

Surely if someone receives a machine with a substandard playfield Stern would have to replace it, issue a refund or exchange for a new machine.

If you got one of these ink-less play-fields, the answer will be - This is the new normal — 🙄
It’s not uncommon 😂

I think @Neil McRae mate Stevie Wonder is head of QC dept.
Anyway, I thought some idiot had to rubber stamp their name to each Pin before departure for accountability?
Do they see the issues and think fcuk it, box it 😂

6000 comments and rising....painful reading, mainly on dire Stern QC followed by dire Stern #wegotyourcashwedontgiveafuk..

As the whole world knows I've been pinball shopping this week. Even as recently as yesterday I'd contacted Phil regarding delivery of a nib.

Turtles was a real option right up until lunchtime when I was made aware of the issues.

In short yesterday I didn't buy one for fear of purchasing a unit with a faded PF. I've sourced a used JP and the rest is history.

Obviously I'm not reflective of everyone and I may have got the JP anyway but the negative reviews definitely stopped me buying.

Yeah, but when an Expo comes up and the Stern top brass is standing in front of everyone......
No one puts them on the spot. They just kiss their ars@ and laugh at all their shi@ jokes 😂

As the whole world knows I've been pinball shopping this week. Even as recently as yesterday I'd contacted Phil regarding delivery of a nib.

Turtles was a real option right up until lunchtime when I was made aware of the issues.

In short yesterday I didn't buy one for fear of purchasing a unit with a faded PF. I've sourced a used JP and the rest is history.

Obviously I'm not reflective of everyone and I may have got the JP anyway but the negative reviews definitely stopped me buying.
That’s a shame, never knew you almost pulled the trigger...... joking aside, I’m pretty sure you would have been safe. Problem is.....there is always that risk you will get shafted unfortunately. Hold your breath when you open the box 😬

From what I understand there's been no reports of playfield issues on UK sterns. I think we get the later builds anyway which means either that they've been resolved on the line prior or the playfields have had longer to cure in transit.

It will be interesting to see if all the turtles games that are imported come up okay.

Mines looking all good nice and bright pf, had some time with it now its a loaded pro for sure so many nice smooth shots, still finding the lair shot a little tough, fitted a shaker yesterday great integration with the new code update, really enjoying just fun to play great lighting to currently loving it!

Maybe owners over here can breath easier......one would at least think there’s a bit more QC diligence when it comes to pin export.
With the hassle and expense to put things right etc....

That’s a shame, never knew you almost pulled the trigger...... joking aside, I’m pretty sure you would have been safe. Problem is.....there is always that risk you will get shafted unfortunately. Hold your breath when you open the box 😬

Exactly. You don't want to be holding your breath when you've spent almost £7k . . . quality should be an absolute certainty.

^^^^ I Thought Stern had resolved the major issues with Cleargate ......on the late JPs etc...— which BTW hope you have a good one.
Now we have a new scandal - “Intensity”.
I’m going around my pins checking the playfields for that stone wash Levi 501 look 😂

To be fair my iron maiden had the same graininess, it had planking it had pooled clear coat round the posts. It was my first Stern and assumed it was par for the course.

^^^ my IMDN is def not grainy....pooled clear on my posts but to be fair it’s solid - hasn’t moved or chipped.
My BM66 ribbed, doesn’t affect play - both were NIB.
My German Kiss LE built June 2015 - playfield is fantastic.
As is my NIB MET built 2015 so........something going on in a timeframe with the later ones.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom