What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turtles Thread

What Landy have you got? I tried to get one in the back of my Defender 110 (with dog cage) and it wouldn’t fit.

Hopefully you are all sorted now!

110 with dog cage, better I remove it before I meet them

110 with dog cage, better I remove it before I meet them

Yeah, it was just a little too short. If you are only travelling a short distance though, you could tie the door open and it should be fine.

Good Luck.

Wayne gave mine a good "seeing to" last night. Hes not a Turtles fan so l"m sure he will add some thoughts on how it plays shortly.

View attachment 115653View attachment 115654

I only played 4 single player games and a 4-player co-op (on my own).

A number of things I noticed straight off, without really having any idea of the rules.

• The machine calling the side ramp the centre ramp at first was confusing, then just annoying.
  • There are at least 5 shots that feed directly to the upper flipper to allow you to shoot the SIDE ramp.
  • The feed to the upper flipper is often lightning fast!
  • Post transferring was almost impossible, and with a ball on the left flipper there is no guaranteed controlled way to get the ball to the right flipper to shoot shots on the left of the playfield (left orbit, LAIR and Pizza Parlour). Although Pizza Parlour can be quite easily banked.
  • Scoring for modes is pitifully low. 200k for completing a mode?
  • ALL the points are currently in MBs, which on factory settings are very easy to get to from the start.
  • 2 x double size standup targets used as a single switch (ala Munsters GotG & Met) :-(
  • Shooting under upper flipper needs extreme luck/timing, as when you make a clean shot the angle means it bounces straight back out unless you drop the flipper to trap it, which inevitably leads to a sdtm or onto the slingshots. Unlike ST if the ball is trapped between the upper flipper and post, there is no way of back flipping it in, it's coming back out on to the top of the slingshot.
  • The spinning pizza, more times than not saved a sdtm rather than causing one.
  • It can be blindingly bright at times - especially in a dark arcade.
  • Action button was only used once - a button mashing episode worth millions.
  • 2x playfield seemed easy to start - once to prime, again to start.

The rules I did work out:

• Light start episode (mode) is shoot both left ramp and right ramp, and order and don't have to be a combo. Start episode by shooting Pizza Parlour.
  • You choose a different turtle at start of game, which have different boosts.
  • 4 modes started gives some kind of mb.
  • Foot 'combo' (?) left inlane, right ramp, side ramp, left ramp - not sure what this actually gives you. Also doesn't need to be shot as combos.
  • Shooting the April target 5 times awards a hurry up on the right orbit. (5 of these are one of the requirements for wizard mode)
  • Turtle power mb (?) - hit right ramp 3 times, then 4 times, etc.
  • Shooting the LAIR target 4 times, lights under the flipper to train/upgrade your turtle
  • Pizza mb (?) - lock 3 balls in pizza parlour.

Having the choice of co-op (2, 3 or 4 player), but especially 2v1 and 3v1 modes is a fun idea. Especially looking forward to playing against 2 other people trying to beat their combined scores - seems like it would be fun playing that in a drunken stupor at NLP or Pinfest :)

The bad
Having code 1.xx implies that major features are finished - if so I would be extremely disappointed. I think it needs lots more adding.
Had a number of shots round the side ramp not register or fly off altogether - I would hope that's because it's super fast being a brand new machine, with full powered flippers.
Episodes are pointless as a scoring opportunity - only as a way to mini and wiz mbs.
Only basic high scores so far, no sub highscores, such as for each of the episodes, highest mb, most pizza collected, etc.

The good
It looks pretty
Once you've dialed in the left and right ramp shots
The layout gives plenty of chances to combo and has the potential for improved rules
Definitely room for improvement in code, unlike munsters for example.
I see no need to part with my JP2 or IMdn to fund one ;-)

Will be going over to Tilt next Tuesday to give it a go there as well.

Last edited:
Hey Wayne, I don’t have the post transfer issue on our machine, though I did adjust the right flipper as it wasn’t aligned correctly (was set a tad steep)

A number of things I noticed straight off, without really having any idea of the rules.

• The machine calling the side ramp the centre ramp at first was confusing, then just annoying.
  • There are at least 5 shots that feed directly to the upper flipper to allow you to shoot the SIDE ramp.
  • Post transferring was almost impossible, and with a ball on the left flipper there is no guaranteed controlled way to get the ball to the right flipper to shoot shots on the left of the playfield (left orbit, LAIR and Pizza Parlour). Although Pizza Parlour can be quite easily banked.
  • ALL the points are currently in MBs, which on factory settings are very easy to get to from the start.
  • 2 x double size standup targets used as a single switch (ala Munsters GotG & Met) :-(
  • Shooting under upper flipper needs extreme luck/timing, as when you make a clean shot the angle means it bounces straight back out unless you drop the flipper to trap it, which inevitably leads to a sdtm or onto the slingshots. Unlike ST if the ball is trapped between the upper flipper and post, there is no way of back flipping it in, it's coming back out on to the top of the slingshot.

• Light start episode (mode) is shoot both left ramp and right ramp, and order and don't have to be a combo. Start episode by shooting Pizza Parlour.
  • Foot 'combo' (?) left inlane, right ramp, side ramp, left ramp - not sure what this actually gives you. Also doesn't need to be shot as combos.
  • Shooting the April target 5 times awards a hurry up on the right orbit. (5 of these are one of the requirements for wizard mode)
  • Shooting the LAIR target 4 times, lights under the flipper to train/upgrade your turtle

Having the choice of co-op (2, 3 or 4 player), but especially 2v1 and 3v1 modes is a fun idea. Especially looking forward to playing against 2 other people trying to beat their combined scores - seems like it would be fun playing that in a drunken stupor at NLP or Pinfest :)

The bad
Having code 1.xx implies that major features are finished - if so I would be extremely disappointed. I think it needs lots more adding.
Had a number of shots round the side ramp not register or fly off altogether - I would hope that's because it's super fast being a brand new machine, with full powered flippers.
Episodes are pointless as a scoring opportunity - only as a way to mini and wiz mbs.
Only basic high scores so far, no sub highscores, such as for each of the episodes, highest mb, most pizza collected, etc.

The good
It looks pretty
The layout gives plenty of chances to combo and has the potential for improved rules

So you liked it then 😂

All the good points were that it can be improved 😂

The bad

The good
It looks pretty

👍👍👍

Really informative write up particularly for someone like me who won't get to see one.

I was wondering what the people who had purchased JP2 were thinking about it.

To read the pinside reviews you'd think that this game had rendered anything that came before obsolete.

👍👍👍

Really informative write up particularly for someone like me who won't get to see one.

To read the pinside reviews you'd think that this game had rendered anything that came before obsolete.
I own JP too. Personally I prefer Turtles, as with anything to do with personal opinions, some people will feel the opposite. What’s stopping you getting out to play one and form your own opinion?

The joy of pinballl is you could do a grand tour of england playing 4 out the box TMNT and they will all play different with their own quirks
Im glad of Waynes opinion as hes not a fan of the theme so a neutral approach. I just "love being a Turtle!"

I own JP too. Personally I prefer Turtles, as with anything to do with personal opinions, some people will feel the opposite. What’s stopping you getting out to play one and form your own opinion?
I've played yours 😉😉

I'm terrible at pinball tbh. The worst player I know is me. For that reason I need 50-100 games to give a real appraisal.

On a couple of occasion I've played a game for 15 mins and clicked with a game (your AFM persuaded me to get one) but in the main I need a good few hours.

At the moment the prospect of going anywhere masked up for any period of time is just not for me.

Theme is a funny thing though. I've never watched the turtles and aren't interested in metal music so a lot of the newer pins don't really appeal.

Neil provided an antidote with 70's disco music whilst I played IM which allowed me to enjoy the game 😉.

The joy of pinballl is you could do a grand tour of england playing 4 out the box TMNT and they will all play different with their own quirks
Im glad of Waynes opinion as hes not a fan of the theme so a neutral approach. I just "love being a Turtle!"
I almost didn’t buy it because of the theme. I mean I’m not exactly 15 anymore. But it kinda fits into the retro pinball vibe so thought it was worth a shot. Glad I did!

I've played yours 😉😉

I'm terrible at pinball tbh. The worst player I know is me. For that reason I need 50-100 games to give a real appraisal.

On a couple of occasion I've played a game for 15 mins and clicked with a game (your AFM persuaded me to get one) but in the main I need a good few hours.

At the moment the prospect of going anywhere masked up for any period of time is just not for me.

Theme is a funny thing though. I've never watched the turtles and aren't interested in metal music so a lot of the newer pins don't really appeal.

Neil provided an antidote with 70's disco music whilst I played IM which allowed me to enjoy the game 😉.

Oh haha well thanks for visiting! Fair play, when you feel ready and the time is right it’ll be here.
It won’t be going anywhere 🤟🏼

Up to 1.11 already and still adding features. No different to any other game then, just cynically decided to launch this one at 1.0 to imply code complete!
Not really.
It was worked on for over 3 months on the prototype machines that were in stern employees homes.
That is why it was not released on beta code.

Oh haha well thanks for visiting! Fair play, when you feel ready and the time is right it’ll be here.
It won’t be going anywhere 🤟🏼

I will, don't you worry. My son asked only yesterday actually. He loved the GOTG (or whatever was next to Ghostbusters near the far window). He was able to get multiball really quickly and found it easy to understand.

I will, don't you worry. My son asked only yesterday actually. He loved the GOTG (or whatever was next to Ghostbusters near the far window). He was able to get multiball really quickly and found it easy to understand.
Always great to hear the younger generation being exposed to pinball and enjoying it. We’ll look forward to seeing you guys soon. Guardians had a good run with us but had to set the old dear free recently, she’s ended up in a good home mind

All the granddad's complaining about the theme [emoji23]. Theme is awesome guys

Nope it’s a total turd of a theme from a comic standpoint - TMNT is a catchphrase cartoon with no depth. There is one decent story City at War (that should really be the basis of the story for a TMNT movie)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nope it’s a total turd of a theme from a comic standpoint - TMNT is a catchphrase cartoon with no depth. There is one decent story City at War (that should really be the basis of the story for a TMNT movie)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Coming at it from a comic standpoint lmao.... That's just another word for grandpa in this instance mate. Come at it from a born in the 80's, absolute Turtlemania from like 89 to 91. We literally had Turtles everything. It was great times, especially when they finally sorted out the toy shortages and then the movie landed. The theme is dope and they nailed the cartoon which for many of us is perfect.

Coming at it from a comic standpoint lmao.... That's just another word for grandpa in this instance mate. Come at it from a born in the 80's, absolute Turtlemania from like 89 to 91. We literally had Turtles everything. It was great times, especially when they finally sorted out the toy shortages and then the movie landed. The theme is dope and they nailed the cartoon which for many of us is perfect.

grandad and proud dood and no, not a comic stand point but a story and mythology standpoint (I realise the latter is a big word for those who did GCSEs :D) - but yeah I can just imagine you in your double denim dungarees with Leonardo patch sewn on the chest pocket and a white polo neck - thinking you are the god of turtles cool whilst dancing to Vanilla Ice holding your TMNT lunch box in a way to hide the fact that it was fake one from the market rather than the real thing with "Donnotello" (sic) spelt wrongly on it :rofl:

s-l640.jpg

grandad and proud dood and no, not a comic stand point but a story and mythology standpoint (I realise the latter is a big word for those who did GCSEs :D) - but yeah I can just imagine you in your double denim dungarees with Leonardo patch sewn on the chest pocket and a white polo neck - thinking you are the god of turtles cool whilst dancing to Vanilla Ice holding your TMNT lunch box in a way to hide the fact that it was fake one from the market rather than the real thing with "Donnotello" (sic) spelt wrongly on it :rofl:

View attachment 115740

Ha! No joke my mate had a knock off Leo that he bought from a corner shop in Herne Bay. Vanilla Ice 😂, I did in fact buy Turtle Power by Partners in Kryme from Woolworths on record but by the time Secret of the Ooze and Ninja Rap had come around I think I'd got a tape deck. Thing is with that era of Turtles mate, no one's ****d about 'mythology'. We didn't love Turtles for its rich lore or whatever. It was because they lived in a sewer, ate pizza and said dude a lot. It was about Krang and the Technodrome, Bebop and Rocksteady. It's super iconic to I guess fairly narrow age bracket.

crickey I take it back! only 5 years younger.

89-91 is a total blur to me, too busy writing network code and device drivers on the Internet.

Bloody hell mate, tough paper round?!

I kid, seriously though you're just that tiny little bit too old for that Turtles phase. It's how I feel about Power Rangers. Just that little bit too old bit makes a huge difference at that age.

No, I used to hang out at the Science Fiction Bookshop in Edinburgh and I'd spend my evenings reading the comics and books between dialing into Edi-Uni's Janet PAD to work on code - I remember them having the TMNT comics and lots of folks being excited, I read a couple of them but it just didn't make me want to read more of them. More of a reader back then than a watcher.

👍👍👍

I've got a Turtles LE coming - you can play the proper game at mine dood. :D

No, I used to hang out at the Science Fiction Bookshop in Edinburgh and I'd spend my evenings reading the comics and books between dialing into Edi-Uni's Janet PAD to work on code - I remember them having the TMNT comics and lots of folks being excited, I read a couple of them but it just didn't make me want to read more of them. More of a reader back then than a watcher.

I love the comics. I remember seeing them as a kid and thinking the art was amazing. I bought this a few years back, totally holds up imo.

20200805_205340.jpg

Back
Top Bottom