What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TRON Owners LED Lighting advice

strongs

Site Supporter
Looking for recommendations on LEDs for Tron and types of LED's to use.

I've got an idea of how I want it to look. I've seen some examples where orange have been used on the left side of the PF and blue / white on the right. I also think that purple looks quite nice in the GI. I'm thinking of using superbrights or perhaps a mix of superbrights and premiums?

Can anyone recommend a pre packaged set to save me some time? Or perhaps post a picture of your Tron with a description of what has been used and where.

Thanks in advance.

Looking for recommendations on LEDs for Tron and types of LED's to use.

I've got an idea of how I want it to look. I've seen some examples where orange have been used on the left side of the PF and blue / white on the right. I also think that purple looks quite nice in the GI. I'm thinking of using superbrights or perhaps a mix of superbrights and premiums?

Can anyone recommend a pre packaged set to save me some time? Or perhaps post a picture of your Tron with a description of what has been used and where.

Thanks in advance.

i.imgur.com_VedwwlM.jpg

I'll bite here, I did on a friends game as part of borrow I had for it for a while.

These are all non-ghosting premiums from @alchy (pinball-led.co.uk). Mixture up the left of orange/white interspersed and blue/white up the left and right sides.

Also got a nice premium black glossy rubber kit and the flourescent protectors. I'm sure you can spot a few more mods like the black mirror blades and hallmark light cycle toys etc.

If it was my own game I'd probably have bought in the super premium cointaker ones but these still look fantastic.

comet? sunlight whites? I'm pretty new to this. I wasn't looking a yellow LED's but Orange does appear to be used for 'the bad guy' (left side) on some that I have seen.

slightly off topic but mirror blades a must for this game. Fitting the ones from Chris to mine very shortly

Why are Comet particularly recommended? What is the best way to buy LEDs do you all make a manual inventory of what you need?

The intense brightness 2 SMD clear lens ones I've used on a few machines. About the equivalent of what's on modern Stern, if that's your cup of tea.

I didn't use them on my Tron though, only because I wasn't aware of them, but plan to install them in the future.

My current ones are all Comet though:

IMG_0466.JPG

The amount you could initially spend on leds should honestly imo go towards the ramp lighting mod, the impact that gives the game is way more visual than changing the bulbs to leds. A full led kit for tron is going to be about half the cost of the mod, I'd save that towards the ramp kit and find the extra couple hundred bucks, again, just my opinion but I doubt any pro owners would disagree.. .

Agree with the comments about the ramp mod being a priority.

On the subject of LEDs; you're entering a world of pain Dude... opinions will vary wildly, so this is just mine:

I've dabbled with LEDs for several years now and learnt about what i like the hard way.

Stern's SAM system doesn't do fading effects with LEDs at all well, just like Whitestar before it, and the WPC89/95 games. So when you put LEDs in a game you will lose the effects programmed into the game by the designers who only had incandescents available to them. Bulbs ramp their brightness up and down beautifully, they don't burn your retinas, but they burn out, can be quite dim and create some heat.

I personally prefer these LEDs, which is the same as what Stern is currently using, and Mark9 mentions above, except i choose a frosted dome for better light dissipation - less of a bright spot, more of a bright glow.

http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/2smd-ct-ft.htm

I did colour-match a few of the inserts on my Tron, namely the blue discs with blue bulbs and reds under the red inserts - but generally speaking it's a right faff choosing the correct number of each colour, and then the types of socket (bayonet or wedge) to make a shopping basket that works - you will **** it up!

So more recently, and for future games, i tend to buy a big bag of sunlight whites in both types of socket - a nice neutral white colour that works behind any insert. Plus any customisation i intend to do - so in Tron's case the GI bayonettes in blue or orange, plus a few others here and there.

Don't forget flashers either - they can be cringingly bright.

Also note that these bulbs are NOT non-Ghosting, they will not hide the inadequacies of Stern's SAM system working with LEDs. You'll seen phantom inserts lighting at the wrong times. To fix that, and restore the nice fading effects of incandescents, plus lower the brightness the LEDs a little bit (which is needed - trust me) i choose to use an LEDOCD board. Yes, more expense, but if you're going to do something - do it right. You can buy non-ghosting versions if you prefer. They'll just look different to incandescents - more blinky. e.g. http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1smd5050ng.htm (personally i won't touch them with a ****ty stick).

LEDOCD homepage (you will need to be clever with shipping or sourcing as the seller won't ship to the UK):
http://ledocd.com/index.html

Here's a recent video of an LEDOCD install in a Tron (jump to 23mins if you want):

And here's one without:

The latter looks more like the LE's lighting as it came with LEDs from the factory, but i prefer the look of a Pro with LEDOCD.

Here's an LE (video by @Sam C )

If you really want some hands on tips then pop over sometime as all my games have LEDs and LEDOCD in, except LOTR (I'm away next week though).

Last edited:
The intense brightness 2 SMD clear lens ones I've used on a few machines. About the equivalent of what's on modern Stern, if that's your cup of tea.

I didn't use them on my Tron though, only because I wasn't aware of them, but plan to install them in the future.

My current ones are all Comet though:

The intense brightness 2 SMD clear lens, do you use these for your inserts as well?

Many thanks for all of your replies. I've decided to go with Comet. The intense brightness 2 SMD clear lens for GI and the 4 SMD Supreme (Non ghosting) for the Inserts. I am also looking at the Eli kit for the ramps - can you buy pre-drilled LE ramps?

Many thanks for all of your replies. I've decided to go with Comet. The intense brightness 2 SMD clear lens for GI and the 4 SMD Supreme (Non ghosting) for the Inserts. I am also looking at the Eli kit for the ramps - can you buy pre-drilled LE ramps?
No but they send you a map of where is best to drill, it's straightforward to fit but be slow and methodical to avoid a mistake

Back
Top Bottom