What's new

Tron Hype?

Just found a newer release of music on pinside and put it on tonight, with headphones kit turned up to 11 I just had one of those games that says "Keeper" to you. No wonder supply < demand when you can change/improve/alter the music in 5 mins with a USB...

Too young to have appreciated the first film, loved the second film, owned the pinball for a few months and moved it on. Owned plenty that I enjoyed more if I'm honest

As films, the Trons clearly had potential with striking, iconic imagery but they never did it for me.

The Pinball however is universally liked and sought after.

I ain't no Stern fan bruv. But Tron is definitely one of the best looking dot matrix printed games. Good use of colour. The trannie is particular. I think the game play is among the top sterns too.

I think the Tron arcade video game is also top notch for its era - art, game play, sounds, and innovative controllers all came together in this one

The original film was an OK premise but really the effects weren't up to the job. The second film is epic. As for the pin, great flow, amazing rules, amazing sound. the only game i know where the mini wizard (sea of simulation) helps you to achieve anything you've not for the main (portal). Couple this with the remixed daft punk soundtrack and some decent speakers and it's rightfully highly regarded. The best pro bar none and the LE is even better.
Mine's not going anywhere soon.

The original film was an OK premise but really the effects weren't up to the job. The second film is epic. As for the pin, great flow, amazing rules, amazing sound. the only game i know where the mini wizard (sea of simulation) helps you to achieve anything you've not for the main (portal). Couple this with the remixed daft punk soundtrack and some decent speakers and it's rightfully highly regarded. The best pro bar none and the LE is even better.
Mine's not going anywhere soon.

You have to think about it in perspective the effects in the original were ground breaking at the time

Liked the original film, not seen the second. Love the machine by Stern though, would for sure like to have one at some point!

Had loan of a Tron for 4 months - boring. Ruleset is weak quickly leading to very repetitive feel.

The first film is iconic, the effects are remarkable particularly for its time ....the otherworldy psychedelic computer world is brilliantly realised. Its beautiful.

The second film is utter Hollywood sh*te, the whole concept of the original Tron world is destroyed by having sub Blade Runner b*llocks like street scenes and bars - oh dear god how annoying is the Michael Sheen character, and people eating roast dinners......!?!? .... its just not Tron anymore. Its just another **** sci fi.

His son is just a terribly written character. Badly acted to boot. Hated it. I don't even rate the effects that much,modern Hollywood by numbers. The original positively pulsates and glows radiantly on the screen, Legacy is just dull body suits with washed out lights on them.

The first film is iconic, the effects are remarkable particularly for its time ....the otherworldy psychedelic computer world is brilliantly realised. Its beautiful.

too much acid in Nam me thinks sarge :D

the graphics were good ??????? :cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

this was 5 years after star wars,
dusty bin had better effects :D
and same year as blade runner

upload_2017-2-9_21-28-22.jpegencrypted_tbn1_gstatic_com_images_a28ace1497f528bbce75a2d23268d00e._.jpgencrypted_tbn1_gstatic_com_images_d3fb3dbee79589be9689fb69a57d6149._.jpg

nice frisby though

too much acid in Nam me thinks sarge :D

the graphics were good ??????? :cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

this was 5 years after star wars,
dusty bin had better effects :D
and same year as blade runner

View attachment 41531encrypted_tbn1_gstatic_com_images_a28ace1497f528bbce75a2d23268d00e._.jpgencrypted_tbn1_gstatic_com_images_d3fb3dbee79589be9689fb69a57d6149._.jpg

nice frisby though

The concept, the design, the look and feel of the world they created was just stunning. Legacy failed miserably to build on it.

What were you were smokin whilst you watched it? :D

Interesting polar opposite views here though.... Think some may need glasses and their ears washing out. If you're in the neutral zone, this may help..... turn your speakers up. ;)

Last edited:
i'm with the Sarge on this one. the original film wasn't competing with Star Wars graphics, it was its own original. this was th age of early computers and everything was new - LLawnmower Man explored it in one colourful direction, Tron went a different way and had 'programs' asking 'users' for 'access' at a time when such concepts were entirely new. even without the blue/yellow lightcycle chase it was groundbreaking for its time, with them it was true genius in my opinion. the remake was a huge letdown for anyone who appreciated the original, though i accept that it may have seemed good to someone who never saw it, in the same way as someone watching a remake of The Italian Job or even Total Recall in a pinch. the pin, well i really want to like it, but it just seems too flat and bland to me. i compare it to Transformers or Avengers or Rollercoaster Tycoon. sorry. but it's good that we all have different tastes.

@jagman

One of the tracks featured in the game custom ROM:

Oh god ....that awful scene in which the sexy ladies undress him or something .......ffs .....what a load of bloody bobbins. And the annoying tw*t running the bar. Yes a bar in Tron world. :cuckoo: Jeezus ............ it is so far removed from the original Tron it makes me weep :(

I'm starting drinking now that has wound me up so much :D

Tron legacy is an epic sci fi movie loved it, was the first ever film I watched in IMAX 3D up at the bfi up in London when the film opens up into full frame IMAX and your feel like your floating over the grid with 1000's of watts of pure IMAX daft punk soundtrack punching you in the gut , for me it was an a seminal moment in my movie watching life that first time experiencing that . So i will always love the film.
The pin is a tricky one had an LE for a while despised it , had a pro for a while liked it a lot more , for me the gem shot kills it ... it's clearly a design flaw and for that it sucks balls

Tron legacy is an epic sci fi movie loved it, was the first ever film I watched in IMAX 3D up at the bfi up in London when the film opens up into full frame IMAX and your feel like your floating over the grid with 1000's of watts of pure IMAX daft punk soundtrack punching you in the gut , for me it was an a seminal moment in my movie watching life that first time experiencing that . So i will always love the film.
The pin is a tricky one had an LE for a while despised it , had a pro for a while liked it a lot more , for me the gem shot kills it ... it's clearly a design flaw and for that it sucks balls

Pah, gem shot sorts the men from the boys! Not a design flaw, rather a very cleverly designed challenge in a cracking game.

Reactions: JMP
Pah, gem shot sorts the men from the boys! Not a design flaw, rather a very cleverly designed challenge in a cracking game.

A shot that you have to make by getting lucky enough to bounce it of a target or have it fly up there as a ball hits another is pants.. They messed up the design

A shot that you have to make by getting lucky enough to bounce it of a target or have it fly up there as a ball hits another is pants.. They messed up the design
Never had to do that on mine, can always make it from the upper flipper.

Back
Top Bottom