What's new

Tron Hype?

Tucks

Registered
Being of an age where I remember the movie the first time round, it was way 'ahead of its time', geeky, had lightcycles, arcades, neon etc etc - in a nutshell, COOL.

The decent Tron LE pinball seems to be rarer rocking horse sh*t - but why?

I have played it only a couple of times and really liked it. Is it because all the reasons I've stated above or is it a fricking great game? Would it be as good if it say had a different colour scheme and was called 'Buck Rogers in the 25th Century'?

I played the LE at a friends and I really didn't care for it. The films totally evade me though so I'm in the minority where the theme does nothing for me.

Firstly, best not mix the pinball machine up with the first Tron film, you'll upset the likes of @Sgt GrizZ

For me:

• Really enjoyed the sequel film. The Daft Punk soundtrack is excellent too and puts the game in another league when applied using the custom Rom and some upgraded speakers.
  • It's a modders dream, loads of very good and a few, not so good mods available for it.
  • It's difficult to complete. Portal multiball is not easy to get to after completing all the modes.
  • It has one of the hardest shots in pinball - GEM. Takes a double-flip or crafty deflection.
  • Cool art, bit cut and pasty images but rest looks good IMO.
  • Not been made in a vault edition (yet) so demand seems to exceed availability at the moment.
  • Pro doesn't look as cut-down as some more recent Stern machines. Ramp lighting can be applied as a retro-fit as main difference.
  • It's a cool sci-fi theme
  • Need I say more....

I really wanted to like Tron but just can't gel with it. Looks great esp with mods although very much dislike the standard translite but gameplay fails to grab me. Also much prefer the original film.

Must play it more. Really want to like it so can sell the cat, car and one child to fund it. Love the little arcade machine mod thingy.

The secret to the glory of Tron lies in stacking the multiballs. You can really appreciate the work done on the game when you are half way through Light Cycle MB, then start Quorra MB, while being one shot away from Disc War. In that scenario with a good couple of GEM shots, sea of simulation starts with an arcade scoop shot to ramp up the adrenaline towards Portal. All this in a blistering assault on your senses via lights, shaking (if installed), cool pumping tunes and more combos than you can handle.

Can also be a frustrating piece of sh*t in which you'll be laughed at by a REALLY annoying soundbite of the Zuse character along with scathing disapproving comments from Flynn himself.

Never really understood the fuss about the game or the film. I liked the film as a kid, never felt the need to re-watch it though.

Not a bad pin but not the second coming either

For me the Tron theme is just perfect for pinball, I love the music, love the whole glowy neon look to the film and the pin. I've made my own remix rom version and with the machine connected to an active sub it sounds amazing. I wouldn't say the layout itself is amazing, but its good enough that when this awesome theme is overlayed onto the machine it just creates this sublime pinball experience. That's how I feel when I've played it, like I've just had a great experience, a lot of that may be lost if played anywhere outside of a home environment though where you can't really appreciate the sound. The sound effects are great too, the rules are good, the disc is awesome especially with the original rubber disc replaced with a clear silicon disc. It all adds up to an amazing pin but if you don't like the theme or the music you probably aren't going to get it.

Can't really add to what the others who love the game have already said, but @kevlar has it spot on when he says it's an experience, there's 9 modes to activate (makes light flash, complete mode light goes solid) before you get to sea of simulation where you get just 1 ball to complete all the modes that haven't been completed, then you finally get to portal, most likely with trembling knees and a racing heart as it's a once every 6 months type thing, if you have a job/life/kids that is!!

and it has Olivia Wilde, sccchhhawwwinnng!!
Tron-Legacy-Olivia-Wilde.jpg

Tron is the full package for me too, one of Stern's greatest.
Callouts and music are the best of any game out there in my opinion, especially with the movie faithful sound remix code.
Spent more on mods on this game than all my other games all together, but worth it on the pro, the Eli ramp lights are essential.
Have also got the Tron girls translite (which was standard on a later run).
I love the spinning disc too, adds an element of randomness, even better with the brutal clear disc fitted.
The rules are not particularly deep but they are challenging and keep you coming back for more. The layout does seem similar to other Borg games but there are some great shots, for instance the gem shot from the upper flipper is very satisfying. Combos that start with the tricky Quorra inner loop shot or the right orbit through the bumpers and end with the arcade are very rewarding and can rack up a lot of points if you can pull them
off repeatedly.
Light cycle multiball is tricky to complete and will have you screaming in despair. I love the sea of simulation, a single ball mode reached when you have started all the other modes, where your only objective is to complete the modes you haven't already, one at a time in order to reach Portal, the main wizard mode. Only managed it once and what an achievement it feels.
Not everyone's cup of tea obviously if you don't like the theme, as no matter how good a game Kiss or Aerosmith is I would never warm to them.

Tron was a horrid film for me, the cycles looked crap and the special effects belonged in Blake 7.
At my young age and having seen Star Wars this film ticked all my boxes but failed to deliver.
I notice a lot of the people who liked the film must have been under 10 so maybe had better appeal.
I was 17 playing real arcade games for my 3rd year in London.

Can those who liked the film state their age in 1982 .

One of the most over hyped pinball, don't hate it as I have only played it at shows but didn't grab me either.

Not watched second film, did anyone ? If it is very good let me know and I will watch it.

wouldnt get in my top 100 but hey I like lw3 and party zone, so what do I know I am just a daft punk :D

Funny that, I didn't like the original film either and still never watched it through. Mad on sci-fi, video games etc. but thought it looked real crap other than the light-cycle parts.

Tron Legacy sequel looks and sounds ace. Watch and get it through your surround sound system if you have one.

Wow. Marmite just what I thought. I really really want to play it now. I was 12 in 1982 so probably the perfect age.

Now how about that Buck Rogers pin.....................

Not watched second film, did anyone ? If it is very good let me know and I will watch it.
I don't like the original film either, never even bothered to watch it until a few years back, and seemed really dated then. Tron Legacy is great though, huge improvement, you should give it a chance.

I recently watched the original film having only seen it once before a very long time ago, pretty meh. Love Legacy though and the pin does a very good job of recreating the movie experience.

Sounds like i have missed out Mark, I am going to take a look at the latest film.

Be surprised if they did considering they recently plowed **** loads of money into a tron ride
It is surprising and disappointing but Disney officially pulled the plug on Tron 3 in 2015.

I guess the Shanghai ride was too far along in development at that stage.

Hopefully they will change their mind.

Don't see what all the fuss is about the films, can't stand either.

The pinball though is great, an achievable mini wizard mode in SoS, harder to reach Portal, and then you need to complete it. 4 standard multiballs, only 1 real "toy" to go wrong. Can be played in so many different ways dependent on your skill level/ambition. Great game.

Reason the price is so high is simple though - supply outstrips demand

Back
Top Bottom