What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Total noob. Help me get started!

huggers

Site Supporter
Alias
Andy Hug
Hi all. So, finally have the space for a pinball machine. I've wanted one for years but it's always been impossible. Until now...!

So I guess I'm looking for tips on what to buy and where to buy. Pros and cons of Ebay vs say Home Leisure Direct or a company of that ilk. I'm totally out of my depth tbh. How reliable are early to mid nineties machines? Is it like buying a second hand car and a complete lottery? What steps can be taken to reduce risk of it going wrong? I have my eye on a Demolition Man or a Baywatch. What would be average prices for such machines or are the prices erratic?

Any tips, suggestions all of that good stuff welcomed. Thanks very mucch in advance for any replies!

I follow three rules.

1. Buy from here if at all possible.

2. If I have to buy from eBay then ask questions on here and get as much info as possible. Lots of very very very helpful folks on here.

3. Take everything you read on eBay with a pinch of salt unless verified by someone on here. Don't be afraid to ask for help; you might not be local but if someone on here is nearby and able to help by going and doing an inspection on your behalf then they often will.

My first ended up coming from eBay but the guys on here not only backed the seller but gave me a load more useful information. It turns out that the previous owner to the seller was on this very forum and i've had a fantastic experience in the time i've been a member on this forum.

Thanks @Wiredworm . I shall investigate getting one from here if at all possible. Very keen to avoid Ebay prices and all the other unknowns of buying on there. It would be really appreciated to get some help as it's quite daunting getting started

Hey @cooldan .Sadly I can't make Play Manchester (I had planned to go) but I shall check out both those sites for sure, cheers

welcome. If you reveal you rough whereabouts ('UK' is slightly vague) there may be pinheads in your locale who could help out choosing games or may have games they're considering selling. Nottingham appears to be a hotspot for such things.

Yes fair point. Updated, although annoyingly, a loooong way from Nottingham

Hi all. So, finally have the space for a pinball machine. I've wanted one for years but it's always been impossible. Until now...!

So I guess I'm looking for tips on what to buy and where to buy. Pros and cons of Ebay vs say Home Leisure Direct or a company of that ilk. I'm totally out of my depth tbh. How reliable are early to mid nineties machines? Is it like buying a second hand car and a complete lottery? What steps can be taken to reduce risk of it going wrong? I have my eye on a Demolition Man or a Baywatch. What would be average prices for such machines or are the prices erratic?

Any tips, suggestions all of that good stuff welcomed. Thanks very mucch in advance for any replies!

Welcome aboard @huggers !

Well, you'd be welcome to come and look over my modest collection. Play the machines, I can talk about what I've bought, mistakes made etc. I live in Yelverton.

Well, you'd be welcome to come and look over my modest collection. Play the machines, I can talk about what I've bought, mistakes made etc. I live in Yelverton.

For real man? That's really nice of you,thank you. I may well take you up on that in the near future. What days are you about?

Nottingham appears to be a hotspot for such things.

It is the centre of everything.....mainly gun crime :D

and unlucky

Unlucky indeed!!!! It's where the cool kids are ;)

Welcome to the forum @huggers I'll be sticking my Data East Star Wars up for sale after I get back from NLP if that's of any interest?

So, finally have the space for a pinball machine
You'll need space for more once you get going!
Pros and cons of Ebay vs say Home Leisure Direct
Pro's, none. Cons, far too many to list
I have my eye on a Demolition Man or a Baywatch. What would be average prices for such machines
£1000 - £1300 depending on condition

Best of luck getting going, your best bet by far is buying one from people here

Welcome on board. Shove a question up in the 'how much is this table worth thread' for current indicative prices of demo man and baywatch (http://www.pinballinfo.com/communit...s-table-worth-thread.5286/page-34#post-179952) - both are comparatively cheap, I think demo man has the better reputation on average, but opinions always differ ;).

You'll need space for more once you get going!

Pro's, none. Cons, far too many to list

£1000 - £1300 depending on condition

Best of luck getting going, your best bet by far is buying one from people here

Thanks man. I have the dosh now to just find the machine. I am quite flexible as long as the game is half decent so hopefully someone on here can hook me up

Welcome on board. Shove a question up in the 'how much is this table worth thread' for current indicative prices of demo man and baywatch (http://www.pinballinfo.com/communit...s-table-worth-thread.5286/page-34#post-179952) - both are comparatively cheap, I think demo man has the better reputation on average, but opinions always differ ;).

Cheers man! I shall give that thread a look now. Hoping it won't be too tricky to find what I'm after without having to pay silly money

Silly money comes a little later, when what you're after becomes trickier to find.

One machine is never enough.

I can see this being an issue. I already have an image in my head of 3 or 4 for the new room... Could get messy

Its when you have to build a new room that its officially messy ;)

Haha I like the commitment. I have to approach it delicately with my gf. I'm starting with 'thinking about buying a pinball machine'. I'll work up to 'I'm extending the house to fit my arcade in'

Welcome Huggers - I won't be able to add any more than the good people who have already done so. If you are new and know nothing about what a good machine looks like then avoid eBay. Don't rush into buying a machine. Best advice is to read posts on here for a few weeks - you'll get a feel for what you want just by reading posts from experienced guys who are helpful.
You've made the most important step by joining this forum [emoji106]
Good luck !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Depending again on where you are in the 'South West' taking a trip across to Salisbury to 'Special When Lit' (http://www.specialwhenlit.co.uk/index.php) either for one iof their regular Friday evening openings or events (next one a week on Saturday 15th) would give you a chance to see and play a great selection of machines, meet some of the 'locals' and get some hinds & tips about buying. @Moonraker will be very welcoming!

Last edited:
Welcome Huggers - I won't be able to add any more than the good people who have already done so. If you are new and know nothing about what a good machine looks like then avoid eBay. Don't rush into buying a machine. Best advice is to read posts on here for a few weeks - you'll get a feel for what you want just by reading posts from experienced guys who are helpful.
You've made the most important step by joining this forum [emoji106]
Good luck !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey dude thanks a lot. That sounds like solid advice, it's tempting to rush out and grab one but I think I'll bide my time and see what comes up and just try to learn as much as I can. Cheers man!

Depending again on where you are in the 'South West' taking a trip across to Salisbury to 'Special When Lit' (http://www.specialwhenlit.co.uk/index.php) either for one iof their regular Friday evening openings or events (next one a week on Saturday 18th) would give you a chance to see and play a great selection of machines, meet some of the 'locals' and get some hinds & tips about buying. @Moonraker will be very welcoming!

I'm down in West Dorset so Salisbury is only an hour or so for me. Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into going in the near future, possibly even that one on the 18th. Had no idea there were such things so nearby so thanks!

I'm down in West Dorset so Salisbury is only an hour or so for me. Thanks for the heads up. I'll look into going in the near future, possibly even that one on the 18th. Had no idea there were such things so nearby so thanks!

I hope you mean 15th as we've no event on the 18th...! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom