What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Today I worked on......

Small fry in the grand scheme of the work you guys have been doing, but finally got around to rebuilding my TZ clock. There wasn't really anything wrong with it, save for the fact that it was still using the OEM board with incandescents, when everything else in the game was LED. I'd bought an Ingo board, clear clock housing, gears, etc and felt like it was a mini project I could get my teeth into...

Getting the clock off of the playfield was more complicated than I thought it would be, mainly due to the piano mod obscuring screws. Wasn't sure how to remove it until a bright spark on Pinside coincidentally posted about removing one screw to rotate the clock out of position to gain access to the screws...

IMG_1835.jpg

None of the guides I'd read mentioned that you had to remove the plastic over the piano slot in order to get the wires out...

IMG_1838.jpg

IMG_1839.jpg

With the clock finally removed from the playfield completely, I could strip it down without risk of losing the various E-rings, etc...

IMG_1847.jpg

Everything disassembled slowly and methodically, and I took photos of how it was already assembled for my own peace of mind... The OEM board was surprisingly uncharred considering the horror stories I'd heard about the clock. The previous owner had drilled two holes into the casing which probably helped there.

IMG_1856.jpg

It was during disassembly that I discovered that the previous owner (or someone) had glued the non-moving shafts into the rear housing. This meant I couldn't use the new one I had bought to replace it, but fortunately it was in good shape anyway, and the replacement one I had was also cloudy rather than clear - so no real loss.

I followed the instructions for inserting the gears, adding a tiny bit of Teflon grease to the gear matings. One of the gears has a shorter tooth which has to line up with the opposite shaft...

IMG_1861_1.jpg

The final white gear has two shorter teeth that are quite difficult to see with the naked eye. The easiest way to locate it is by looking at the line on the gear itself (see solid red arrow pointing to it). This gear has to be fitted on the shaft with the either of the two shorter teeth pointing at the one shorter tooth on the other gear above.

IMG_1862_1.jpg

Sadly I didn't get a photo of fitting the big black gear, suffice to say that, like the final white gear, there is a black moulding line on both sides which you need to bisect the shaft you just fitted the white gear to.

If you've done all of this right, the clock will be bang on 12 o'clock when you power on the game. I managed to get it right first time by taking my time and following the somewhat inscrutable instructions ("Insert stub end of shaft into center hole of back panel, while aligning either of the two opposite, shorter teeth on smaller diameter gear of 03-8823 with remaining shaft", for example).

Unfortunately for me, after I put the clock back on the playfield and connected everything up the first time I switched it on - aside from being louder than I hoped it would be - it made a god awful clicking sound as the minute hand got caught on various opto holes. It turned out that because I installed a PETG prototype clock plate rather than a decal I had inadvertently removed any tolerance on the minute hand opto interrupter, and it was now fouling the plastic when it moved. This was further compounded by the fact that the minute hand drive pin was slightly bent when I disassembled the clock, so the hand didn't rotate consistently (clearing some optos, fouling others).

IMG_1864.jpg

So... clock came off the machine again (strictly speaking I could've done this while it was installed, but I didn't know for sure what was wrong until I removed it and took a closer look). Following some advice I sanded down the minute hand opto interrupter, and reinstalled the clock - and now it works!

IMG_1899.jpg

IMG_1900.jpg

IMG_1901.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

IMG_1904.jpg

Although the saga hasn't really ended there because as it turns out I think I sanded off too much off the opto interrupter. The clock registers the time correctly, but the 30 minute opto doesn't register on the DMD consistently. Oddly in clock test it registers every opto perfectly, and the LEDs on the clock board confirm this.

The clock is also louder than I had expected it to be given that I used lube. I didn't oil the shafts which I've seen one guide recommend to do. I have ordered new minute hands & drive pins to have another go at it.

Anyway, sorry for so many images but thought it might help any similarly DIY challenged folk to disassemble the clock with more greater confidence.

I had the digital inclinator out and levelled all the tables and adjusted the pitch. All needed some messing, much easier to do it for 5/6 tables than 14 lol

And also, the hydraulic platform thing I bought a year or so ago came into it's own. Great for moving and lifting :)

Small fry in the grand scheme of the work you guys have been doing, but finally got around to rebuilding my TZ clock. There wasn't really anything wrong with it, save for the fact that it was still using the OEM board with incandescents, when everything else in the game was LED. I'd bought an Ingo board, clear clock housing, gears, etc and felt like it was a mini project I could get my teeth into...

Getting the clock off of the playfield was more complicated than I thought it would be, mainly due to the piano mod obscuring screws. Wasn't sure how to remove it until a bright spark on Pinside coincidentally posted about removing one screw to rotate the clock out of position to gain access to the screws...

View attachment 63415

None of the guides I'd read mentioned that you had to remove the plastic over the piano slot in order to get the wires out...

View attachment 63416

View attachment 63417

With the clock finally removed from the playfield completely, I could strip it down without risk of losing the various E-rings, etc...

View attachment 63418

Everything disassembled slowly and methodically, and I took photos of how it was already assembled for my own peace of mind... The OEM board was surprisingly uncharred considering the horror stories I'd heard about the clock. The previous owner had drilled two holes into the casing which probably helped there.

View attachment 63419

It was during disassembly that I discovered that the previous owner (or someone) had glued the non-moving shafts into the rear housing. This meant I couldn't use the new one I had bought to replace it, but fortunately it was in good shape anyway, and the replacement one I had was also cloudy rather than clear - so no real loss.

I followed the instructions for inserting the gears, adding a tiny bit of Teflon grease to the gear matings. One of the gears has a shorter tooth which has to line up with the opposite shaft...

View attachment 63423

The final white gear has two shorter teeth that are quite difficult to see with the naked eye. The easiest way to locate it is by looking at the line on the gear itself (see solid red arrow pointing to it). This gear has to be fitted on the shaft with the either of the two shorter teeth pointing at the one shorter tooth on the other gear above.

View attachment 63424

Sadly I didn't get a photo of fitting the big black gear, suffice to say that, like the final white gear, there is a black moulding line on both sides which you need to bisect the shaft you just fitted the white gear to.

If you've done all of this right, the clock will be bang on 12 o'clock when you power on the game. I managed to get it right first time by taking my time and following the somewhat inscrutable instructions ("Insert stub end of shaft into center hole of back panel, while aligning either of the two opposite, shorter teeth on smaller diameter gear of 03-8823 with remaining shaft", for example).

Unfortunately for me, after I put the clock back on the playfield and connected everything up the first time I switched it on - aside from being louder than I hoped it would be - it made a god awful clicking sound as the minute hand got caught on various opto holes. It turned out that because I installed a PETG prototype clock plate rather than a decal I had inadvertently removed any tolerance on the minute hand opto interrupter, and it was now fouling the plastic when it moved. This was further compounded by the fact that the minute hand drive pin was slightly bent when I disassembled the clock, so the hand didn't rotate consistently (clearing some optos, fouling others).

View attachment 63425

So... clock came off the machine again (strictly speaking I could've done this while it was installed, but I didn't know for sure what was wrong until I removed it and took a closer look). Following some advice I sanded down the minute hand opto interrupter, and reinstalled the clock - and now it works!

View attachment 63430

View attachment 63429

View attachment 63428

View attachment 63427

View attachment 63426

Although the saga hasn't really ended there because as it turns out I think I sanded off too much off the opto interrupter. The clock registers the time correctly, but the 30 minute opto doesn't register on the DMD consistently. Oddly in clock test it registers every opto perfectly, and the LEDs on the clock board confirm this.

The clock is also louder than I had expected it to be given that I used lube. I didn't oil the shafts which I've seen one guide recommend to do. I have ordered new minute hands & drive pins to have another go at it.

Anyway, sorry for so many images but thought it might help any similarly DIY challenged folk to disassemble the clock with more greater confidence.

Nice work and nice photos!

@Kenny Taylor BOP, fitted replacement power toggle switch. SS flipper rebuild, replaced bulb holder and replaced coffin spring. Left coil is buzzing, need to check in to my this is happening

Replaced both flipper coils, works a treat and no buzzing. Ordered the correct bulb holders too, removed the modified one under slings and replaced. Works perfect now.

Next is a speaker upgrade for my BOP..

Spending some time today on a Firepower. Flipper rebuilds and replace the eprom sockets.

D4976096-8648-436B-A3E5-BA3B63CFB014.jpeg

Got a fair bit done today.

Tron: added yellow lit buttons, blue trough light, shaker, lit recogniser on flasher, led strobe flash on Center back ramp. Tron looks great after recently adding a subwoofer, colour dmd, display panel decal, topper and other mods. It looks awesome. Tron flasher isnt yellow but on a colour cycle, usually don’t like laseriffic toppers but like it for Tron.

STNG: tapped into 240v to drive a 12v transformer (there was no plug to do this from). Drive lit apron and topper from 12v to prevent overloading and constantly blowing F116 (12v). Added a light to neutral zone. Moved the enterprise mod around again, am close to just pulling it. Went to change my gun trigger with my highly polished one but couldn’t find my Torx10 bit or where I’d put it. Put gun back on to find trigger was now mostly not working so had to fix that again.

Twilight Zone: trough light and reactive led flashes for the bumpers and gumball machine, added robot mod, rocket mod, invader mod (tied to flash on lock). Rigged it up for sub woofer and will sort that tomorrow. Added a thumb key rather than the lock. Half did the mods to the gumball and will finish tomorrow along with mirror blades and possibly chrome trim.

Last edited:
View attachment 63675

Got a fair bit done today.

Tron: added yellow lit buttons, blue trough light, shaker, lit recogniser on flasher, led strobe flash on Center back ramp. Tron looks great after recently adding a subwoofer, colour dmd, display panel decal, topper and other mods. It looks awesome. Tron flasher idntbyellow but on a colour cycle, usually don’t like laseriffic toppers but like it for Tron.

STNG: tapped into 240v to drive a 12v transformer (there was no plug to do this from). Drive lit apron and topper from 12v to prevent overloading and constantly blowing F116 (12v). Added a light to neutral zone. Moved the enterprise mod around again, am close to just pulling it. Went to change my gun trigger with my highly polished one but couldn’t find my Torx10 bit or where I’d put it. Put gun back on to find trigger was now mostly not working so had to fix that again.

Twilight Zone: trough light and reactive led flashes for the bumpers and gumball machine, added robot mod, rocket mod, invader mod (tied to flash on lock). Rigged it up for sub woofer and will sort that tomorrow. Added a thumb key rather than the lock. Half did the mods to the gumball and will finish tomorrow along with mirror blades and possibly chrome trim.
Martyn, you must own some kind of record for awesome collection and games room, to zero and back again :).

Martyn, you must own some kind of record for awesome collection and games room, to zero and back again :).

Well, not sure about that, I’ve got a lot less pins now (9) and am more or less done for now. 2nd time around I’ve done things a little differently. Missed TAF and TZ and AFM. Will get another LOTT if the right one comes up.

todays tasks,

swinks ghostbusters brackets which stop the airballs.
LED of Indy 500.

Finally started work on one of my TOM's, the one that works but was very dirty, all fading semi working bulbs, broken plastics, dusty - in general it looked pretty unloved.

Started giving it a good clean, replacing all rubbers, plastics and replacing most star posts.

Led's are going in to replace the bulbs and matching led to inserts so it will look bright. I plan to add a Led-Ocd later when I've replaced them all.

The game will get new ramps and mostly new plastics, new chest (the one in it is shot), colour dmd, gold trim, lit apron, etc. I may even re-decal the cab if I get adventurous, but its not the worst i've seen.

Probably take me a week or two to do this one and I still have the other TOM to finish re-wiring and putting together - that one has a new cab and a new playfield, more of a longer term project as i'm totally rewiring it (why? don't ask!).

Expecting the WCS in a week or 10 days so I want to get this done if I can. I could do with more hours in the day given I have to work too :)

Continued on the TOM and found some very hacky work by a previous owner, usually out of sight, just to the right of the crate. It was a machine sold as original and clean, it was neither. I’d originally agreed to buy it and sell it for the same price using it as reference for my longer term full restoration. I lately decided to freshen it up since it was so dirty and unloved.

I’m confident it’ll look good with 4-5 more solid days work on it, I’d like a new cabinet and playfield but the other TOM is getting that :)

Got new plastics and ramps and replaced wire forms in situ, done about 2/3 of lighting but not finished touch ups and such. I should be able to more or less have it done by the end of the weekend. We’ll see, I need to get it done as I have WCS coming in.

I'm going to keep going back and replacing bits of hardware as and when I can. Having got a few pins in of late and plenty to do on each, time is a bit of a premium.

Pics in no order :)

9A795F9D-D9C0-409C-87C0-4359B4E7C69D.jpegA712713D-2EA5-4C7E-B050-9D0434792757.jpeg 3FF41D6E-29C0-4AEF-A941-05F2AFAA5A7B.jpeg D96A89FC-30CA-4F89-8254-BB295CDC795A.jpeg 4BF086CF-6F0C-48CA-ACF9-E58E8D1F5AE8.jpeg 3C2E0363-EF9D-43D7-9BD0-7A063DAE3FE5.jpeg 47659C3E-0D7E-44C7-AAB9-C6D118C764FF.jpeg F9D89F0A-177E-48AC-BA08-AFF00CB28A52.jpeg

Attachments

• E914B905-0C25-462F-BCA5-D1B8D081AF88.jpeg
    E914B905-0C25-462F-BCA5-D1B8D081AF88.jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 3F058960-0655-44CF-A2A6-82893471CC25.MOV
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Another day, another Twilight Zone thing.

This time it’s removing the Gumball machine for a deep clean, whilst also changing the coloured beads for about 25/25 metal pachinko balls. I think this looks more authentic with the translite than being stuffed full with a load of coloured wooden beads. I also fitted the Pinbits light kit ready to back on the game.

Beads out:
C95F52E5-1380-4033-BE5C-29C042B8DD76.jpeg

Pashinko balls in
2741174B-10FC-49A7-96A5-4828778C84B2.jpeg 618D11C3-B65B-4E7D-8698-1E99122CFD7E.jpeg

Next in the queue is a clock rebuild. 2CCF7345-026D-4EB4-AE31-B4B531067A8B.jpeg

Fixed another broken return spring this time on batman 66, that’s 2 on TNA, 1 on AFMr and one on batman!

Got a load of glass to clean after yesterday’s path of play!

Also I have a switch on monster bash Outlane - the switch is fine but the wire doesn’t press down - I tried bending it but not made it any better - should I be bending the wire part more or the thin strip part? It works if I use my finger or if the ball is rolling slowly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hey @kevlar that really looks clean and tidy. Are the siderails just stapled? I can see what look like countersunk screw holes all the way around but no screws. I notice my GOLD BALL is the same:hmm:

That GI ground wire looks a monumental pain to swap over. Good luck. :p
Damn straight! I'm currently wondering how best to tackle it. Before starting this my plan was to undo everything, slide a piece of cardboard under it all, slide the cardboard over onto the new playfield and whip it out ...tada! simple...not! :rolleyes:. Should I cut/desolder the old ground wire and rewire with new? or is it possible to keep it all intact as in my initial plan?

Oh, and it's not just the GI uses this ground wire, it's the inserts too! :confused:

Good luck :)

My first and only p/f swap took me between 30 -50 hours.

I put every screw into a numbered bag and photographed every single stage.

Even then, I still put a few bits back together wrong!

Back
Top Bottom