What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To LED or not to LED

Bear in mind gents you need 2 different boards to do a complete machine
1 for the GI approx £130
&
1 for the controlled lighting £150
Plus the leds another £100 +

The LED OCD is the main event, around £105 now for the revised board, or £95 if you order >10. Plus shipping and taxes though, unless alternative methods/routes can be found :)

GI OCD usage is questionable, and as @pinsinthewild rightly says, depends entirely on your level of affliction. I've put one in Congo because Congo uses lots of GI effects, plus I wanted to use LEDs in the GI and actually see those effects.

The Stern GIzmo is overkill, and i prefer TRON without it, but IM with it.

All boards are best with cheap, non-fancy LEDs. I use Comet's 2SMD-CT-FT, frosted in Sunlight or Warm white and about 55p each, plus the aforementioned shipping and tax b0llocks.

Nothing exists to reduce the retina-burning power and harsh ON/OFF nature of LED flashers at the moment.

So I plunged and got the OCD LED to go in TOTAN beside the OCD GI one. I'm still miffed you need two boards and its far from cheap. Does look nice with all lamps operating slower and fading, but is it worth it, probably, but especially if you do have an OCD.

So I plunged and got the OCD LED to go in TOTAN beside the OCD GI one. I'm still miffed you need two boards and its far from cheap. Does look nice with all lamps operating slower and fading, but is it worth it, probably, but especially if you do have an OCD.

Sounds like you bought the GI OCD initially, which would explain your earlier comments.

A hybrid of both would be ideal, for less than the price of buying them separately, but not all games need that GI control.

Sounds like you bought the GI OCD initially, which would explain your earlier comments.

A hybrid of both would be ideal, for less than the price of buying them separately, but not all games need that GI control.

Yes, I was a little confused initially, to say the least. Never realised there were 2 boards. If it was just one, at the price of one I'd say it'd be a strong contender for must buy.

If it's not Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, what does OCD stand for? :hmm:

It does stand for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, with specific regard to Light Emitting Diodes in Pinball machines that weren't originally designed to use them!

You're either OCD or not, and you can either buy the boards or not, just like using LEDs.

I likes 'em.

My understanding direct from the chap that makes these boards is that the GI OCD would not work on our machine due to the 50hz 60hz difference in our power.

Is he wrong?

My understanding direct from the chap that makes these boards is that the GI OCD would not work on our machine due to the 50hz 60hz difference in our power.

Is he wrong?
That changed with a new version of firmware and the software. I have 1 in Congo, which was at NLP.

Back
Top Bottom