What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Tired old BoP to become BoP 2.0

I didn't pay enough attention to mine to see if the dimples are out on mine. I', afraid to get it back out the box now :(

So the old BoP playfield has had the underside stripped and most parts put onto the new playfield.

IMG_20160403_143419.jpg

A few holes not there or in the wrong place but progress finally...

Why? that looks nice and shiny to me..... :)

It's just getting the damn stuff out of the nut ends, also its gets embedded into screw threads, etc, so I end up cleaning all the parts afterwards with metal polish.

Are ultrasonic cleaners any better?

See my post in the Tumblers thread about the different jobs they do :thumbs: An ultra sonic cleaner isn't a replacement for a tumbler IMO. For ages I've used a bent open safety pin to get the media out of the screw heads but have recently ordered a hook and pick set which I'm hoping might be better (the pin does work pretty well).

It's just getting the damn stuff out of the nut ends, also its gets embedded into screw threads, etc, so I end up cleaning all the parts afterwards with metal polish.

Get a salad sieve to separate media from parts when they come out of the tumbler. All that shaking and stirring should free up most of the parts, however you will probably still have media stuck in nuts, and screw heads. Use a nail to pick them out quickly. Toothpicks just snap. Anything else like posts etc should clear with a good tap on the desk.

Nope, they'll strip the plating off metal parts which you'll then have to renew completely. They don't polish metal to a shine like tumblers do either. Use an ultrasonic for cleaning plastic parts and stuff like that.

Julian I use and Xacto modellers knife with a no1 blade in which has a very sharp hard pointed end for getting corn out of screwheads - very quick and easy as well.
Looks like this

upload_2016-4-6_9-4-30.png

For posts when it gets stuck I just use the dremel down the middle with a small drill bit - works a treat!

Cheers Kev

Nope, they'll strip the plating off metal parts which you'll then have to renew completely. They don't polish metal to a shine like tumblers do either. Use an ultrasonic for cleaning plastic parts and stuff like that.

I'm sorry but that's absolute ******** they won't strip plating unless you have put them in a very caustic solution of something

Pete did you get that from Ray on GRC by any chance? He was talking about tumblers stripping zinc plating if I recall correctly, and I think it was specific to lamp holders?

I could be wrong of course.

Missing a spring!!!

Anyone know where or has one of these springs?

IMG_20160320_171741.jpg

Looks like a pop bumper spring. Have you got one or I can put one in tomorrow's 9am post?

Arh good idea, Ive got one of those, I'll test it for size tonight, but it is from the head lane diverter.

Cheers matey.

Manny has done a couple of BOP 2.0 cabinets
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Top work as usual. Anyone interested in a new BOP cabinet with BOP 2.0 artwork applied then get your kit off to Manny.

With a kit like this get a professional to do the work. Worth the extra ££s
image.png

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    283.9 KB · Views: 12
Last picture saw on Facebook. Not Mannys work. I doubt I could do better, which is why I have Manny do my cab restores.

Pete did you get that from Ray on GRC by any chance? He was talking about tumblers stripping zinc plating if I recall correctly, and I think it was specific to lamp holders?

I could be wrong of course.

No I got it from dumping all the playfield metal parts from my Rollergames into the ultrasonic cleaner I have, and to my surprise it stripped all the plating off. It's happened again on some other parts I did.

GRC use the same tumblers that most of us here use, with Autosol of course. That's the only way I clean and polish metal now. My ultrasonic only gets used to clean plastic parts, or anything that isn't plated or painted.

What on earth are you adding to the water for it to do that it only vibrates the parts. I and many others use them for cleaning airbrushes with no problems

What on earth are you adding to the water for it to do that it only vibrates the parts. I and many others use them for cleaning airbrushes with no problems
It doesn't just vibrate, it creates bubbles in small gaps and on the surface of whatever you are cleaning. If the plating was loose or corroded the ultrasonic cleaner would create bubbles and could lift the plating.

At the end of the day though, ultrasonic cleaners just aren't that good really. They do a good job of cleaning jewellery and removing stubborn dirty from inside awkward car parts like injectors. But why even bother for pinball parts when you can just dump them in a tumbler for a couple of days and everything comes out not only clean but with a high shine too. :)

She's Alive!!!

The old girl is finally 'mutton dressed up as lamb', she does have a few odd issues;

1. Sounds like a tracktor only when in BoP 2.0 mode, in the original game emulation its fine! What is happening is a few coils are getting a couple of volts hence the plungers vibrate in them. FFS!!! - Call logged with DP.

2. The captive ball post is too short!! So 1 in 3 balls to it just roll on over it! (Below is my post top and Replay's post bottom).

IMG_20160509_213537.jpg

Simon 1.JPG

3. Start button is so sensitive it adds multiple players about 50% of the time. Annoying.

Apart from that I'm pretty please by the way my first playfield swap has gone, if gave me an insight as just how hand built pinball machines are as I did have to move a couple of mechanisms in order to get them working or maybe the dimples/holes were in the wrong place.

IMG_20160509_213330.jpg
IMG_20160509_213324.jpg
IMG_20160509_213321.jpg
IMG_20160509_213311.jpg
IMG_20160509_213235.jpg
IMG_20160509_213226.jpg

Nice work Julian. Just a thought, it might be better to have a picture of the captive ball mechanism underneath the playfield...?

Is the start button a leaf switch inside the cabinet? if so you can adjust that to avoid switch the bounce that you're getting.

Nice work Julian. Just a thought, it might be better to have a picture of the captive ball mechanism underneath the playfield...?

Is the start button a leaf switch inside the cabinet? if so you can adjust that to avoid switch the bounce that you're getting.

Thanks, yes the start button is a leaf switch, I guess just make the gap wider? Or can I stick in a modern start button switch?

I'll get a photo of the captive ball lock from the underside in that case.

Your BOP 2.0 is looking fantastic Julian. Good work!

Colouring on the LED's is tasteful, not too over the top! :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom