What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Time to panic buy the petrol now guys ...

where did you get the 1.2% from? I called about 30 stations today to see if they fuel all empty. at work we are running a P1 incident to manage this situation as its affecting many things int he supply chain.
I'm assuming that was before the panic buying started and was referring to the initial closure of a few sites by BP and Tesco/Esso.

Now we do have shortages at the pumps due to the panic buying.

We can all judge folks for the domino effect but now we know it is causing an observable impact in most areas, what are most people going to do?

A) Drive cars until they are near empty, hoping the government are right on this one
B) Fill up early and buy more than they need

The advice from the government is often felt to be more about what the government want us to think that what is actually correct. People didn’t trust them at various stages of a global pandemic, why would they suddenly trust them now.

My wife is paranoid about running out of fuel due that one time where we ran out of fuel as I left it too late to fill up. It was totally my fault and I learnt my lesson and we got away with it lightly.
Except for that other time in France during the French annual holiday in August. But that was because our credit cards didn’t work on the machines and we had to get a nice local to take cash and use their card.
There have been a few other times if I think about it. I might have conditioned her on this one of the consequences of not filling up often.

Huge queues at our two local stations and both sold out by mid morning yesterday (ironically people still kept queuing all afternoon as they couldn’t see it was sold out 🤣).

Given we only fill the car up about six times a year I don’t think I need to stress it too much. Seriously my mileage is an embarrassment but driving/parking is more hassle than it’s worth in London.

Wonder how long it will take to get things back to normal? I’m guessing not that long given how much demand will fall by over the next week or so.

I'm assuming that was before the panic buying started and was referring to the initial closure of a few sites by BP and Tesco/Esso.

Now we do have shortages at the pumps due to the panic buying.
Indeed, that's exactly what I was referring to.
Now the panic buying has resulted in considerably more filling stations running out of fuel. There are 5 fuel suppliers in my nearest town and they are all now closed🤬🤬🤬

I've been stuck in Sudbury with @David_Vi for the last week - I got here last Friday with 20 miles left in the tank, I hadn't been able to fill up at home (near Stansted Airport) but thought I'd have better luck here. So far all 4 petrol stations in Sudbury have been closed most of the week. (It's about a 40 mile drive home.) Fortunately I work from home.

I couldn't think of better company to be 'locked down' with but I'm sure he'll want me to go home at some point!

Hoping things calm down by Monday.

Reactions: PAX
I've been stuck in Sudbury with @David_Vi for the last week - I got here last Friday with 20 miles left in the tank, I hadn't been able to fill up at home (near Stansted Airport) but thought I'd have better luck here. So far all 4 petrol stations in Sudbury have been closed most of the week. (It's about a 40 mile drive home.) Fortunately I work from home.

I couldn't think of better company to be 'locked down' with but I'm sure he'll want me to go home at some point!

Hoping things calm down by Monday.
Is Sudbury really that dry? We aren't the best served area for many things

I managed to fill my daughters car up with petrol yesterday morning, but no diesel for my car. Luckily I spotted a delivery truck last night at morrisions, so went there early this am and they had petrol and diesel - yey! There was a bit of a queue when I arrived, it was 3 times as long as I left a few minutes later, this was at 7:30 a.m. !!!

I pulled straight onto the pump this week, not that much of a problem this way but my son in Swansea said he hasn’t been using his car due to the problems there.

Last edited:

The laughable thing is bozos believing that this has something to do with brexit, there is no shortage of drivers. There is a shortage of companies willing to pay drivers more money and the media and public have fallen for their scam hook line and sinker. They would rather hire in cheap labour and take advantage of the stupid Europeans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The laughable thing is bozos believing that this has something to do with brexit, there is no shortage of drivers. There is a shortage of companies willing to pay drivers more money and the media and public have fallen for their scam hook line and sinker. They would rather hire in cheap labour and take advantage of the stupid Europeans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Covid has been a factor. Retiring drivers/no tests for new drivers has been a factor. Yep, the haulage industry agrees these are significant factors, and affecting everyone all over Europe. They also agree however that Brexit has been a significant factor on top of those problems.

It's the same reason we have empty supermarket shelves, not enough farm workers, not enough hospitality staff. Covid is a factor for sure. Brexit is an added complication.

If it's not Brexit related, then why are there not fuel shortages in Ireland? Even NI has been unaffected, because the Irish drivers have no issues with a border crossing there.

Last edited:
Reactions: PAX
Is Sudbury really that dry? We aren't the best served area for many things
We went past a BP garage with fuel yesterday, near Tesco, but the queue was really long. Just not worth it. All others were closed.

A friend in Colchester queued for 1.5 hours to get petrol yesterday - woman in front of her was filling up Jerry cans. Ridiculous.

We went past a BP garage with fuel yesterday, near Tesco, but the queue was really long. Just not worth it. All others were closed.

A friend in Colchester queued for 1.5 hours to get petrol yesterday - woman in front of her was filling up Jerry cans. Ridiculous.
Was going to say I could fill up a jerry can and bring you some if you're that desperate 😅

Don’t think those people realise that when a tanker arrives at a station it empties as quick as filling a car up

Come fuel-mageddon (which is anytime now) I'll be bulk buying vegetable oil for the diesel! Chug-chug-chug...... that or shave my head, leather chaps and go tanker hi-jacking. Halloween is around the corner so I'd probably get away with it....

unnamed-3.jpg

Was going to say I could fill up a jerry can and bring you some if you're that desperate 😅
We'll have to see, might be needed if I'm still here in another week 😂

I'm going to try again tomorrow, hopefully things are easing now. Surely everyone who is hoarding fuel has filled their garage by now...!

There is obviously still some panic buying but we were in the same situation as you @Lecari, 30 miles predicted from the tank and we were at the stage where we had to fill up.
2 stations closed and 1 with a long queue so I queued. Most people I saw were filling up their cars from empty based on the length of time at the pump and how much their bills were.
It seems like the London and surrounding counties are worst effected. I went to funeral yesterday and people from Yorkshire and Cardiff were there. Both had fuel when they left but noticed it got worse as they got closer to London. I hope they get some to make their return journeys.

Things seem to be back to normal this afternoon in Sudbury. Finally managed to fill up at Sainsbury's - no queue, and no queue at the BP petrol station round the corner either!

Back
Top Bottom