What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TILT!Audio 1.25 with "red board" is out

@MadNat Just moved the thread here if that's ok about your Tilt Audio experiences. I'm just keen to ask about Tilt Audio with someone that actually got it working.

Have you ever managed to get it connected to your own Wifi network ? It never worked when I looked at it last and it still doesn`t seem to work now.

I am struggling with the LUA but do not have a lot of faith because of all the previous issues.

I had one and its in a T2 i sold to @Matt Vince a few years ago.
That worked OK and hooked up via wifi etc.

You can maybe see if he still has it in etc

Hi @Vimtoman

Can`t believe I am back in this thread setting myself up for another 8 months of pain with Tilt Audio o_O:D

Since the micro controller has been added in V3.5 it looks like all the previous issues I had are now solved so I thought I would grab my dusty Pi3 and load the latest Tilt Audio firmware.

I have a Pinsound in my Getaway now but maybe I can try in the Funhouse

I can connect to the GUI no problem via direct wifi, load a sound set all looks good but if I add my wifi network details it just does not store them, reboots but just does the AP mode again, nowhere to be seen on my network this was doing it 2 years ago also if I remember.

@Nutty - seriously - this system is buggy as hell. I really would of liked it if it had work but the guy who started it obviously doesnt give a toss.

How many months of pain do you need before you chuck it in the bin and grab another pinsound? :)

Hi @Vimtoman

Can`t believe I am back in this thread setting myself up for another 8 months of pain with Tilt Audio o_O:D

Since the micro controller has been added in V3.5 it looks like all the previous issues I had are now solved so I thought I would grab my dusty Pi3 and load the latest Tilt Audio firmware.

I have a Pinsound in my Getaway now but maybe I can try in the Funhouse

I can connect to the GUI no problem via direct wifi, load a sound set all looks good but if I add my wifi network details it just does not store them, reboots but just does the AP mode again, nowhere to be seen on my network this was doing it 2 years ago also if I remember.
HI @Nutty as @Pick Holder says months of pain :rofl:
It has so much potential and I think Steve will get there in the end.
I think I had gone direct wifi myself.
If the GUI is not taking the settings you may have to hard connect and maybe change wifi settings via putty etc.
Think I had done so when wifi was added .

heres a link for the pinside thread with a list, has a couple explaing how to SHH via putty and what to change.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebuilding-sound-for-de-jurassic-park-using-a-pi?tq=wifi&tu=

Never had a problem with mine to be honest. There was the slight snafu soldering all of the DAC but that was it.

I got mine working on my lan via WiFi. I’d suggest joining Steve’s Slack support channel. There are some resolutions to various problems there.

My experience isn’t as bad as [mention]Pick Holder [/mention]

It’s pretty much working as expected now. I did have some issues with the 74 logic components - but to be honest I don’t believe that was software related.

Agree Steve loves to tinker, he went off in a Bluetooth audio mission, then added STM32 to remove the audio card missing error on some machines (eg TZ)… so agree he’s getting there.

It’s not a quality like PIN2DMD kind of quality mod product. But a fun project to have in a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With LUA support - out of the box it’s pretty limited. you need to add files to add various functional support. I got mine to send Restful API calls to my little Feed Frenzy LED board over WiFi, to kick off led effects when certain sound events started and finished.

Steve added functionality in a later firmware to make adding the LUA functions a bit more straight forward (I achieved it by using a ssh session into the Pi and customising his standard build - which wound Steve up a bit!).

I’ll see if I can get that going with the latest firmware.

This is clearly Steve’s passion - and he makes changes without too much consideration for existing users. But like we keep saying - he’s getting there, and seems determined to do it alone.

Join the slack channel - he’s quite responsive if your question is logical [emoji3]

My problem is the "weekly" hardware updates and the lack of understanding support.... Not everyone is as clued up as the developer...

Yes it feels Steve likes helping people on his own/similar level, his replies are very robotized I am a bit 50/50 only really coming back to electronics and some programming after 30Years so I try not to ask him too many questions.

The v3.5 and now 3.6 after about a couple of weeks seems to be really there I just wish he would stop changing the hardware now and look at the software.

My LUA testing doesn`t work at the moment because I do not have a licence but again in the blog it is not clear you cannot test without a licence.

To be fair all - all you want is a product that you get our of a box - or build as a kit that WORKS. Pin2DMD was not great until the EVO boards came along and the later firmware.

Steve45 seems to be happier taking peoples money and giving them a kit that they have to fork about with like mad to get it to 'maybe' work.

If you are technical on the programming side as Mike (Madnat) is and others on this forum, then you may have a chance of getting it working.

Perhaps the older revisions boards work better?

Anyway - the answer is easy for me,

Install a pinsound. Add value to your game (not sure I would choose a game with a tiltaudio board in it over an orginal board!), or do the colordmd thing and buy one and when you sell a game - take it out.

I also can not excuse his lack of sending out goods when they are paid for (or serial numbers).

A example is that I asked Steve these questions ....

I can`t get the LUA test to work.

Do I need a LUA licence to test the commands I can`t get your speaker LEDs script to test ?

Arduino Script running ok through LED patterns
Arduino Leonardo/Canbus SDA SCL connected to Pi SDA SCL
init.lua script put in \data\audio\getaway\init.lua (with a windows PC using notepad)

The Leonardo/Canbus
SDA - Pin2 - D2
SCL - Pin3 - D3

He ignored most and just said I need a licence as though I should know so don`t ask, this is how he was from the beginning of my efforts 2 years ago. :D

Perhaps I can ask @MadNat I put the script in \data\audio\getaway\init.lua (with a windows PC using notepad) on the SDcard is that right ?

Don't use notepad. Winscp the file to the pi if your WiFi is set up.

A example is that I asked Steve these questions ....

I can`t get the LUA test to work.

Do I need a LUA licence to test the commands I can`t get your speaker LEDs script to test ?

Arduino Script running ok through LED patterns
Arduino Leonardo/Canbus SDA SCL connected to Pi SDA SCL
init.lua script put in \data\audio\getaway\init.lua (with a windows PC using notepad)

The Leonardo/Canbus
SDA - Pin2 - D2
SCL - Pin3 - D3

He ignored most and just said I need a licence as though I should know so don`t ask, this is how he was from the beginning of my efforts 2 years ago. :D

Perhaps I can ask @MadNat I put the script in \data\audio\getaway\init.lua (with a windows PC using notepad) on the SDcard is that right ?
Hi - it wasnt that clear to me either. You actually place the init.lua into the .\sound directory... its only possible to have one init.lua for all sound packages on your SD card (when you said audio - did you mean sound?). For editing init.lua notepad is fine, I also recommend Atom or Visual Studio Code for file editing (available for both Win and macOS). I have a license - but pretty sure I could use LUA in evaluation mode... but could be wrong.

Thanks @MadNat I copied to both .\sound & .\sound\audioset but no wonder I didn`t get an answer as I couldn`t get the folder name correct :D

See what happens when I get the licence.

FTP makes more sense Thanks @Arv

I can only connect to the Pi in AP mode at the moment 192.168.41.1:31008 , does anyone know the default login credentials to FTP to the Pi and I assume the port is 21

I can only connect to the Pi in AP mode at the moment 192.168.41.1:31008 , does anyone know the default login credentials to FTP to the Pi and I assume the port is
For me it was
Standard user is: pi,
standard password is: raspberry. Yes - port is standard 21.

I found its easiest to whip the SD card out and copy files via USB... but thats just my preference.

I never checked but is there an ftpd running in Steve's build?

I will test the FTP tonight.

Just for interest do you always get the issue of removing the SDcard from the Pi even when it is off and Windows reports it needs fixing every time ? Do you fix it ?

I only ask as Pinsound does exactly the same thing with a USB stick and if you do not fix the stick in windows the record function records corrupt files, thinking the Tilt Audio would not save settings back properly in the same situation.

I will test the FTP tonight.

Just for interest do you always get the issue of removing the SDcard from the Pi even when it is off and Windows reports it needs fixing every time ? Do you fix it ?

I only ask as Pinsound does exactly the same thing with a USB stick and if you do not fix the stick in windows the record function records corrupt files, thinking the Tilt Audio would not save settings back properly in the same situation.

I use macOS mostly - so never had that message/problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TILT REV 3.0 OUT

Should anyone be interested.......
Funny enough that video was for me demonstrating the i2c bus working, it works for steve but not me (deja vu?). I am just interested in the audio triggering MODs now, not the audio abilities. Give him his due though he is helping quite a lot this time around as long as I am cautious what I ask. i have even got it connected to my home Wifi, first time in 2 years :)

Last edited:
I've bought a Tilt!Audio kit and had it in the garage for a couple of weeks now, going to get on to the build, but by the sound of things I'm going to need to dedicate quite a bit of time to the software side too.

Checked over on the pinside thread also, but is there any evidence of tiltaudio working in a Robocop (Pinsound is not compatible)

Thanks for the response @Goodwinsplace
Is there a repository where people grab the audio files? Or are they just taken off the pinsound website ? Cheers

Back
Top Bottom