What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The (not so new!) eBay Auctions / Facebook / Gumtree / Shpock 2022 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tri Zone on flea bay

All auctions try to make it out they are doing you a favour having the opportunity to win fantastic items . Ebay no different

Can anyone explain why people bid on items so early?
Since the early days of eBay I always turn up on the last day at the last minute. Surely you're pushing the price up way more than it would have been if you're bidding days before the end?

If there’s an item I really want. I might put an early bid in to discourage any bidding by chancers. Sometimes I bid on **** I don’t even want but if I see bids early I think, they must really want it I won’t bother. Maybe that logic applies to someone else too. If that makes any sense whatsoever 🤣

Can anyone explain why people bid on items so early?
Since the early days of eBay I always turn up on the last day at the last minute. Surely you're pushing the price up way more than it would have been if you're bidding days before the end?
Me neither to be honest all my wins are done last minute or within minutes of the listing being live.

Yeah, that's what I do if I'm after something, always bid a reasonable (but not full) amount early, the more people who scroll past knowing they won't be getting a bargain the better.

One my pet Ebay hates - Nobody bids until the last 30 seconds. (Unless im selling something of course, then just nobody bids at all :) )

bid at start can be a killer bid but usual some sniper gets in after 10 days in a millisecond to go. but not always . bid 500 on a local tatty star wars some time ago when they were averaging about 1200 and no one bid. forgot id bit until got seller message saying when you picking it up? other pinheads may recognise youve put a mark on something and think . im not getting into a bidding war with that so and so so i wont bother trying. the one more holding bid is also good so ebayers can see you have bid above the start price. i saw this on a yellow submarine bubbler jukebox at 5k start with someone with massive feedback putting down more than one bid so didnt bother trying to win it.

bid at start can be a killer bid but usual some sniper gets in after 10 days in a millisecond to go. but not always . bid 500 on a local tatty star wars some time ago when they were averaging about 1200 and no one bid. forgot id bit until got seller message saying when you picking it up? other pinheads may recognise youve put a mark on something and think . im not getting into a bidding war with that so and so so i wont bother trying. the one more holding bid is also good so ebayers can see you have bid above the start price. i saw this on a yellow submarine bubbler jukebox at 5k start with someone with massive feedback putting down more than one bid so didnt bother trying to win it.

Also if you put in a bid it prevents the seller from ending the listing... so if they have a low starting bid and no reserve it's sometimes worth bidding that to lock in the sale, otherwise sellers can see there's no interest and remove it. More useful if there's something priced low that you think might not even get any bids. (At least that used to be the eBay rule, maybe it's changed now)

Also if you put in a bid it prevents the seller from ending the listing... so if they have a low starting bid and no reserve it's sometimes worth bidding that to lock in the sale, otherwise sellers can see there's no interest and remove it. More useful if there's something priced low that you think might not even get any bids. (At least that used to be the eBay rule, maybe it's changed now)
Far as I know they can still end it - they just need to cancel any existing bids.
(Ive had this done before "Item is no longer available as it was lost or broken") :)

anyone grab the space invaders today? good price - the parts are worth the final bid price of £510
What a bargain but I resisted bidding which I can’t believe. I love the SI great game but needed new playfield so just didn’t cost out 🤷‍♂️

Wow that went for more than I thought at £2210 … however the playfield was nice and the cabinet. They don’t come around much so if you want one you gotta grab it

On the other side, £4k for that minter Alan bought… that was a bargain for sure 👍

PS: I didn’t buy the Centaur

Attachments

• E97AEE44-A85C-4A0F-9FCF-02AD1C6DBC9B.png
    E97AEE44-A85C-4A0F-9FCF-02AD1C6DBC9B.png
    77.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom