What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The all new eBay Auctions / Facebook / Gumtree / Shpock 2021 thread!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone ever played Gottlieb Gladiators, the one on ebay looks ok for the money, but any suggestions advice welcome
Check out the game play on the Pinball Arcade Android / Applestore version- it’ll give you a rough idea about how it plays. You can play a few mins of the trial versions without having to buy them. It’s one of the best Gottlieb titles in my opinion- four flipper fun. Was originally meant to be a Zelda theme I think.

Has anyone ever played Gottlieb Gladiators, the one on ebay looks ok for the money, but any suggestions advice welcome
I think the general consensus is that the Electronic Gottlieb games are a bit of an "acquired taste" shall we say, and therefore cheaper than their Bally / Williams Peers. @JMP is far more knowledgeable than me and has a fantastic collection of these machines.

The seller is Peter Hardman who had a fall out on this forum a while ago - IIRC, he had bought cheap off here and then selling outside the community at higher price- that didnt go down well. he seems to sell motorbikes and pinball machines. I'd comment, from me keeping an eye on his machines for sale, that they are a little over priced, so if I was after a machine from him, I'd be aiming to get a discount.

I think the general consensus is that the Electronic Gottlieb games are a bit of an "acquired taste" shall we say, and therefore cheaper than their Bally / Williams Peers. @JMP is far more knowledgeable than me and has a fantastic collection of these machines.

The seller is Peter Hardman who had a fall out on this forum a while ago - IIRC, he had bought cheap off here and then selling outside the community at higher price- that didnt go down well. he seems to sell motorbikes and pinball machines. I'd comment, from me keeping an eye on his machines for sale, that they are a little over priced, so if I was after a machine from him, I'd be aiming to get a discount.

Never seen or played Gladiators but been told by a few it's rubbish.

Last edited:
Gottlieb Games are hard to sell ! I have only had the one. Fantastic spares availability in Europe/ the US. But a tiny pool of buyers in the UK.

For a first timer or inexperienced punter to buy an electronic Gottlieb, I think they are buying a problem. Less knowledge in the UK. Few repair guys willing to touch them. Parts probably require importing/ vat/ duty issues.

I had treated my wrecked Genie to new plastics, mechs, flipper rebuilds, pascal boards, acorn nuts, Lane guides, even a genuine period tilt bob assembly .....

I advertised on pinballinfo first. Then in parallel on gumtree.

It was on both for many weeks.

On gumtree you get normally get a variety of low ball offers. Tyre kickers. Folk offering you crossbows/ electric guitars in exchange .....

I just had one offer on my Genie. That was via pinballinfo and that was my buyer.

When I sold similar vintage Bally games- Vector and Flash Gordon, I received far more interest

Many thanks folks, I was looking for an entry level pin but will pass, obviously it has faults with the DMD, so I will wait for games to start selling on here, my missus didn't like it either lol

Gottlieb Games are hard to sell ! I have only had the one.

I rest my case 😄. An unpopular title with crap sound.

Again, I've been through about 20 or so now and sold fine on Ebay, Gumtree, facebook and here. Everything sells when priced right.

Gotts probably not for a beginner though, agree with you on that.

Anyway, whatever..... just as well I'm not trying to sell any with your flattering endorsement. 😄

Don't hold back - it's a great game. Not that hard to find people who can fix them, e.g. @MajesticPinball can sort you out. And Sys3 games are pretty bulletproof anyway.
👍 There's more help out there than the scaremongers would have you believe. Bob @pinballtoys, Andy N & @myPinballs too (Jim sells new design and repairs Gottlieb boards). Andy N stocks some generic Gottlieb parts and the remainder of mine come from Best of Pinball in Germany who have a good range. A bit of VAT after Brexit, so what.... a lot buy 'game specific' stuff from Marco/US anyway.

Last edited:
When I sold similar vintage Bally games- Vector and Flash Gordon, I received far more interest
Well.....you are comparing a late 70's enormous relatively unknown widebody with the cream of early 80s Squawk and Talk games (Flash Gordon is anyway, and Vector certainly has its admirers) there so not really surprised! :p

Gottlieb Games are hard to sell !
Less love on here maybe, but I think they find their level. Stargate, Class of 1812, Cue Ball Wizard, Cactus Jack's, Street Fighter 2, etc, are all generally a lower price than their Bally/Williams equivalents but will still sell, especially to people not bothered about always having A list titles.

Gottlieb games are very difficult to sell.

Buyer beware.

Very generic and inaccurate statement in my view. You can't group all electronic gottlieb games into 1 statement. Like saying buyer beware on wpc games after selling a hurricane!! From my perspective 80b games have a massive following and are very easy to sell, but its hardly the point about collecting anyway.

Ask anyone if they fancy a robo-war or tx-sector and the answer wont be 'oh, no thanks, i might not be able to sell it again'

Last edited:
Has anyone had a HH? They look lots of fun with the reflected playfield. One been on EBay since before Covid but the playfield looks rough

I have owned and played loads of Gottlieb pinballs. Like anything else some are good and some are not so good. A lot is down to personal taste and of course condition. A lot of Gottliebs have been neglected making them not much fun to play. Once sorted i find them very reliable. Then it is down to what you actually like or don`t.

I personally loved my Gladiators with the four flippers and variety of shots was great fun, i also really enjoyed Tee`d Off which is a fun game. Shaq Attaq i quite enjoyed, Super Mario was decent but i expected much more due to the theme so it felt like a let down, Surf `n` Safari simple but good fun, 1812 ok for a while but too simple to last, Street Fighter decent enough, Big Hurt i enjoyed a lot once a got my head round the gameplay. One machine i really didn`t like was Freddy Nightmare on Elm Street. The scoring on these games does take some getting used to for sure but it does make change from hitting some a million times on some Stern games. One of the older games i played at Glasgow Play Expo was TX Sector which i thought was great and in HMV Glasgow for a while was a Raven which was better than expected. I hope to buy a Gold Wings this year which looks completely different from what i am used to so i would definitely say do not write off everything Gottlieb but steer clear of projects unless you have limitless patience and knowledge..........mind that could apply to all pinballs!

Has anyone had a HH? They look lots of fun with the reflected playfield. One been on EBay since before Covid but the playfield looks rough
Way overpriced, even now, but a classic game. HH and Black Hole are two fab multi level games. Black Hole has multiball but HH has the third level.

Note that Gottliebs of that age have a cab that's a bit longer and wider than standard.

Gottlieb are just different. Shame was a lot of the dot matrix games are poor players. Saying that SMB and SF2 will sell now due to theme. Black Hole is one of my favorite games full stop. Would have Genesis again in a heartbeat. Most surprisingly fun game l ever owned was lights camera action. Totally crazy game.

I passed on a Lights Camera Action a few years ago and have regretted it ever since.... very hard to find, especially now if/when only looking in UK.

I’m mid Gottlieb Rocky restoration at the moment. My first system 80a. Not got a ****ing clue what I’m doing. All good fun. What’s the worst that could happen. It can’t make you pregnant.
I have a shop log running if you’d like to follow my trials and tribulations 😬.

Gottlieb scaremongers are just sad and yet to realise the greatness of Gottlieb...They're no harder to repair than any other machine, parts are readily available you just need to search for them. Knowledge is out there - again, you just need to search for it.

Gottlieb system 3's have got to be the most reliable and dependable system out there. They're built like tanks, extremely heavy machines and absolutely rock solid, unlike the junk Stern churn out. People hate Gottliebs purely just to fit in with the crowd, but at the end of the day they made some awesome games that are considerably cheaper than anything else because "nobody likes them". Please don't ever be put off of buying a Gottlieb machine.

Wonder what a minty Stargate would cost...
Maybe 2k for a really nice one. Although with pinflation these days you might be looking at closer to 3k?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom