What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gone to Ebay Gottlieb Stargate price dropped again

MajesticPinball

Site Supporter
Alias
James Reed
Up for grabs is my Gottlieb Stargate for £1700. This was the one at Pinfest last year so if you played that you know what to expect, I would describe it as in nice players condition. I rerubbered the playfield and installed LEDs about 3 years ago and it's had very little play since. I was pretty new to the hobby at the time so this game hasn't been completely stripped down like I do my machines now. This is a really tough for me to sell and anyone who knows me knows for the last 2 years I've been coming up with excuses to keep it. It's a fantastic game and one I will definately own again in the future.

The only issue this game has is the wear by the flippers which has had mylar put over it. I'm sure it would be reasonably touched up but I'm not too handy with a paintbrush so I've just left it.

The good:
- Cabinet is nice, little wear on it and colours are really beautiful
- Rottendog Driver board
- Brass electroplated and protected habbitrails and apron rail (cost far too much but they look beautiful!)
- Brand new apron, drop target and ramp decals
- Brand new plastic shooter lane/skill shot ramp (which is a little cracked at the back)
- Brand new sarcophagus plastic

The bad:
- Wear by flippers
- A few bulbs out on the string in the infinity mirror in the backbox
- side rails are a little rusty by the flipper buttons as with most Gottlieb System 3 games

I absolutely love this machine so I want this to go to a good home where it can be enjoyed! It's situated in my new workshop so viewing is welcome at any time (socially distanced of course) or more than happy to use Martin he's been to my place plenty of times

Thanks gents,
James

Last edited:
IMG-20200511-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20200511-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20200511-WA0019.jpg
IMG-20200511-WA0014.jpg
IMG-20200511-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20200511-WA0010.jpg
IMG-20200511-WA0008.jpg
IMG-20200511-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20200511-WA0012.jpg
IMG-20200511-WA0020.jpg
IMG-20200511-WA0024.jpg
IMG-20200511-WA0023.jpg
IMG-20200511-WA0021.jpg
IMG-20200511-WA0025.jpg
IMG-20200511-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20200511-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20200511-WA0007.jpg
IMG-20200511-WA0011.jpg
IMG-20200511-WA0018.jpg
IMG-20200511-WA0009.jpg

Last edited:
i played a few games on this at pinfest, and enjoyed it immensely. I wish I had the time and money right now, I would have snapped it up. Definitely on my wish list for th future.

I would definitely say this plays really well. GLWS.

i played a few games on this at pinfest, and enjoyed it immensely. I wish I had the time and money right now, I would have snapped it up. Definitely on my wish list for th future.

I would definitely say this plays really well. GLWS.
Thanks man, I'm glad you enjoyed it! It's a very fun game, one of Gottliebs best I think

Finally got round to adding pictures. Was trying not to sell this but ended up getting a very special game so now need the cash 😂

Oh yes, my old Stargate, SG#1. Sorry to take the sale thread off a tangent but some history about this game...

Found it at the Monster Meet 2008 (http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/pinsanon2008/index.html), where most people walked past it unrecognised as it was a project and hidden under newspaper, missing backglass and rope light.

Pretty sure it's the one the with the red arrow highlighting it in this picture:
close up.jpg

I overpaid for it plus it was less complete than described over the phone (they claimed the game played well but was missing a few bits like playfield glass and coin door) and they confirmed definitely no playfield damage..! Very disappointed with the condition when it was delivered as the game was unplayable and was reluctant to tell them to take it back after they traveled 2.5 hours to deliver it.

After installation in the living room, I found the following missing:
Backglass
rope light
playfield glass
lockbar
coin door
apron
lower left plastic
auto launcher
kicking target
glider motor (for forward and retraction motion)
apron cards
existing translite scratched

The missing apron and lower left plastic makes the game unplayable. The coin door, lockbar, apron decals, apron cards and rope light were new from pinball resource. Replacement translite (don't remember if that was from pbr or not).

It also had a broken glider arm used to push the glider forward and back. I also did a flipper rebuild on it.

I bought a spare playfield from the coin op king himself @BallyWilliams suck which provided most of the missing playfield items. I was going to do a playfield swap at some point but ended up selling machine and playfield at the 2011 pinball party in Daventry.

And yes I did put a few games on it at Daventry last year. :D

James, the picture with the damage over the flippers make it look like the damage would interfere with the travel of the balls. It looks like the mylar has lifted up and . Is it just an optical illusion? Thanks. Dom

James, the picture with the damage over the flippers make it look like the damage would interfere with the travel of the balls. It looks like the mylar has lifted up and . Is it just an optical illusion? Thanks. Dom
It has lifted a little, it's a mylar patch over the original mylar by the looks of it so it may be easy to remove, I'll investigate 👌

I played Stargate at Pinfest 2018, after which I decided I really wanted one. I eventually found a very nice example through the forum. It continues to be a favourite of mine and is always popular with visitors. A very fine pinball.

Thought it would be worth sharing that I've done a little repair work to the mylar today. Due to the nature of the way the factory mylar had been damaged theres not overly a lot that can be done as I'm certainly no touch up artist so have left the artwork alone. I've removed the dodgy mylar patch over the whole thing which came up fine and then affixed the lifting factory mylar (which is lifting all of the art as well) I then covered the area with a new mylar patch which is covering the whole flipper area so shouldn't bubble up again in the future.

I'm being as honest as possible, as when I bought it I wasn't ever shown or even told about the wear so it's only fair to be as open as possible... the wear isn't great... But the rest of the machine an absolute joy
IMG-20200513-WA0008.jpg

£1700 is sweet. I remember this from Pinfest, alas I am saving myself for Red & Ted otherwise i'd probably be into this!

Final drop to £1650 otherwise I'll tombstone it somewhere as need the free space in my workshop so that I can actually start using it now that I've finally got a proper workspace

Really shocked this is still here, I have had mine for 8 years or so and still enjoy it. Also never had a single issue, they seem bullet proof! If it was a Bally Williams I reckon Stargate would be a 2.5-3k game!

Really shocked this is still here, I have had mine for 8 years or so and still enjoy it. Also never had a single issue, they seem bullet proof! If it was a Bally Williams I reckon Stargate would be a 2.5-3k game!
It's frustrating as I don't even want it to go, it's purely a space issue so dropping the price this much on a game I don't even really want to part with isn't great. System 3s are built like absolute tanks the build quality is fantastic.

I'd definately get another one some day, and you're definitely right about that, if it was a Williams game it would be 2.5k all day I reckon.

Very surprised this hasn't gone. It's a great game and at that price unbeatable value.

People complain that it's pyramid-heavy, but playing for segments and the stargate wizard mode is just as fun and a lot more diverse.

Also now on 99p starting auction on eBay, will hopefully find a bit of Gottlieb love there

I’m into Gottliebs, ok abeit only in a small way but if people would pay for machines on time then I’d have had a punt on this. Played one years ago at one of the shows. No idea what I was doing but I still enjoyed it.

Back
Top Bottom