What's new

Team TNA - The UK's Total Nuclear Annihilation Pinball Club

More pics of my floppy reactor kicker arm. This was bent like this after maybe a dozen games? I've bent it back up again but pretty sure the metal is getting weaker with the bending cycles and will end up failing soon enough.

Note, under the playfield, how the mech is not screwed into the pilot holes. Looks like this was intentional for all of them, to get them closer to the edge... Possibly a production bodge?

Currently I cannot see or work out how your kicker arm is getting bent unfortunately.

Slingshot brackets appear not be screwed into original pilot holes on playfield as from what I have checked the kicker arm would therefore sit to far back and not produce enough of a force against the slingshot forward rubber. Also if mounted into the original pilot holes the kicker arm pushes out the back side of the rubber. Incorrect cut-out of oval holes in playfield ? not sure as yet.

Today I carried out further inspection on the underside of the playfield. Apart form a few missing screws (that appear not to be fitted at the factory, I'll cover that later) the main focus was to have a look at the slingshot kicker arms.

Ok, what I have seen so far. All slingshot kicker arm bracket coil assemblies have not.. been fixed into (what appears to be ) the pre made the pilot holes on the playfield underside. This has shown and can cause the kicker arm to make contact with the playfield front edge of the kicker oval cut out hole and cause damage to the playfield oval hole edge. This also causes the slingshot switches to sit hard up against the square playfield cut outs.

Examples

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-19 at 13.04.39.jpegWhatsApp Image 2023-09-19 at 22.39.39.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2023-09-19 at 22.39.39 (2).jpeg

Next up I removed the upper left slingshot assembly in the reactor core to pay attention to the cut outs of the oval kicker arm hole in the playfield.

The first thing that you will notice from the photo below is that when they have fitted ball guide rail in the orbit this has resulted in the wood being caught and lifted (above the upper LED), no big deal but does not look pretty when observed.

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-19 at 22.39.39 (3).jpeg

Ok so you can see where the bracket assembly has been fitted and yes this has not been fitted into the pre made pilot holes, so why is that ? Well from what I suspect is, should the bracket be fitted into the pre made mounting holes this would result in the kicker arm being pressed against the back side of the rubber fitted on the posts. Also at full travel the kicker would not have enough of a kick due to being so far back from the front edge of the rubber.

Ok so now I can possibly see why they have mounted the assembly bracket forward to allow for the above, however I am starting to think that they have not considered the fact that the kicker arm becomes very very close to hitting the oval front edge of the kicker arm playfield cut out when at full travel.

The posts for the rubber mounted to the top of the playfield posts are fixed. The rubber can be clearly seen to be relatively inline with the switches square cut outs in the playfield. However if you were to draw a line centre from the upper square switch cut out through to the lower one you are drawn to the oval kicker arm hole off centre .

Further detailed inspections are needed but it wold be good if further owners can confirm fitment of their slingshot brackets and kicker arm reach, photos would also be very helpful so we can forward on the concerns.

@Colywobbles
@Jmac
@jonathan
@Kenny Taylor
@VeeMonroe

If anyone with an original run can also provide any feedback that would be welcome also @Mfresh

Last edited:
I’ll check mine today.
Actually I’m still waiting of a display that has a line out.
Did you guys contact spooky direct for parts.

Gents - smoke em whilst you got em

bowt £117 in British wonga. Limit for importing goods no fees is £135

Last edited:
Today I carried out further inspection on the underside of the playfield. Apart form a few missing screws (that appear not to be fitted at the factory, I'll cover that later) the main focus was to have a look at the slingshot kicker arms.

Ok, what I have seen so far. All slingshot kicker arm bracket coil assemblies have not.. been fixed into (what appears to be ) the pre made the pilot holes on the playfield underside. This has shown and can cause the kicker arm to make contact with the playfield front edge of the kicker oval cut out hole and cause damage to the playfield oval hole edge. This also causes the slingshot switches to sit hard up against the square playfield cut outs.

Examples

View attachment 232269View attachment 232270
View attachment 232271

Next up I removed the upper left slingshot assembly in the reactor core to pay attention to the cut outs of the oval kicker arm hole in the playfield.

The first thing that you will notice from the photo below is that when they have fitted ball guide rail in the orbit this has resulted in the wood being caught and lifted (above the upper LED), no big deal but does not look pretty when observed.

View attachment 232272

Ok so you can see where the bracket assembly has been fitted and yes this has not been fitted into the pre made pilot holes, so why is that ? Well from what I suspect is, should the bracket be fitted into the pre made mounting holes this would result in the kicker arm being pressed against the back side of the rubber fitted on the posts. Also at full travel the kicker would not have enough of a kick due to being so far back from the front edge of the rubber.

Ok so now I can possibly see why they have mounted the assembly bracket forward to allow for the above, however I am starting to think that they have not considered the fact that the kicker arm becomes very very close to hitting the oval front edge of the kicker arm playfield cut out when at full travel.

The posts for the rubber mounted to the top of the playfield posts are fixed. The rubber can be clearly seen to be relatively inline with the switches square cut outs in the playfield. However if you were to draw a line centre from the upper square switch cut out through to the lower one you are drawn to the oval kicker arm hole off centre .

Further detailed inspections are needed but it wold be good if further owners can confirm fitment of their slingshot brackets and kicker arm reach, photos would also be very helpful so we can forward on the concerns.

@Colywobbles
@Jmac
@jonathan
@Kenny Taylor
@VeeMonroe

If anyone with an original run can also provide any feedback that would be welcome also @Mfresh
i’ve emailed AJ and asked him to read the last few pages of our thread. I tried fitting mine into the original holes , looks fine but the switches would need major adjustment

Also fitting round rubber pads to the coil stop to reduce the stroke of the kicker arm?

This is the reply about the pre drilled holes which if i’m reading right means they were never used , period ?

Thanks for sharing Rob. I have some being sent on over.
As for the issues with the spotting, most of the spotting on the machine is non functional and pretty much useless unfortunately. When we did the latest run there was a requirement to not change anything other than the armor, so this is how we went about doing the last run. Please feel free to let me know if you are in need of anything else!

I guess @Mfresh can set us straight on if his has had the holes used properly

Not a few weeks after tightening up the top left guide it’s just as loose so followed @jonathan tip and inserted some wood

The screws they have used are 1.1/2 8 pan head posi and i feel 1.3/4 8 would be more suffice . I will try and get some and see.

Attachments

• IMG_4174.jpeg
    IMG_4174.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4175.jpeg
    IMG_4175.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Examples

View attachment 232269View attachment 232270
View attachment 232271

View attachment 232272

@Colywobbles
@Jmac
@jonathan
@Kenny Taylor
@VeeMonroe

Didn’t see anything untoward on any of my slings top or bottom inc no missed pilot holes.
Nothing catches front to back or looks bent so either I’ve not played it enough or none of the temps / new starters got to build mine 🤪

Gents - smoke em whilst you got em

bowt £117 in British wonga. Limit for importing goods no fees is £135

Isn't the $69.95 price for a pair? One of the product photos definitely shows a pair.

Not for everyone and normally i’m not one for MB’s but i find the OEM blades a bit bland so given the stampede on pinside to get these i’m eager to try - all is not lost as i have new set of arts to re fit if it’s a blow out

Quick game tonight got me 1.5m and reactor 3

Precision flippers inbound too…. Birthday on tuesday - let’s see if i get my presents in time

Spooky apparently have sent me a new kicker but mine has been fine since i bent it back ?

Precision flippers arrived yesterday and found some time this evening to fit them. Remember how much i enjoyed fitting them last time. Engineering can be very satisfying.
Just done a couple games but will revisit it in the week - mirrors arriving tomorrow and slingshots need adjusting yet again !
Top kicker arm has not moved since i bent it back ?
Also fitted some mylor to the shooter lane where the ball ejects
My average score is creeping up slowly
Titan rubbers installed

Attachments

• IMG_4230.jpeg
    IMG_4230.jpeg
    207.8 KB · Views: 14
Yup, I shan’t be buying another Spooky

Mirror blades arrived today and 30mins later

Attachments

• IMG_4242.jpeg
    IMG_4242.jpeg
    203 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4243.jpeg
    IMG_4243.jpeg
    189.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4245.jpeg
    IMG_4245.jpeg
    147.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4246.jpeg
    IMG_4246.jpeg
    132.2 KB · Views: 26
I've only had 2 NIB pins. TNA and WOZ.

I've had to fix a couple of minor issues on TNA, but every time a light board went out on WOZ the whole game was unplayable!

Ah - ok, thanks for the clarification, and the initial heads-up. I'd previously been looking for some of these a few months ago and couldn't find any available.

Ordered! 👍
you will need side protectors when installing these mirrors @C&C

I've had 2 NIBs, TNA and AIQ. AIQ needed lots of fettling with the right orbit ball guide and broke the screw holding the disk arm after a few hundred games. Asked for a replacement screw under warranty (it's an awkward size to source) and never heard anything back. So far TNA has needed some rollovers bending to avoid ball hangs, also fettling with the right orbit ball guide, and this issue with the floppy kickers.

This just arrived from Spooky HQ today - let's see if they last any longer...

Attachments

• PXL_20230928_131030560.jpg
    PXL_20230928_131030560.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 11
Just to note here i have not had any issues with my kicker arm since it was re bent. This is including after fitting the precision flippers and a wax.
My slingshots are developing their own personality though.

Average score is creeping up to around 800. go though states of gathering multiballs and then not

Hit 3 reactors often too

Running Titan rubbers but get a lot of ball spin and find them quite sticky or grippy

At the mo i am leaning to getting more of the original ones

I installed the new code this week. Anyone else ? So far just enjoying the new sounds and speaker lights
Not yet mate, new sounds and lights sounds good. I have been busy with work and not had time with TNA, still need to tweak things and get new flipper rubbers also ordered actually.

Saw a video earlier today where Cary Hardy was visiting some house where a Pinball Olympics event was taking place. Spied a TNA in a dedicated room, think it was decked out with smoke machine and lighting, though it wasn't shown in his video.

You'll see a small clip at 6:21

Just noticed Loserkid has posted a video on the TNA, it's only brief but looks like it would a cool experience.

Last edited:
Clearly shows those that know have TNA

I am enlightened by that room !
I only just read the changelog for the latest beta code "was created for the Pinball Olympics 2023"

I'll install the latest code when I get the chance, look forward to seeing the new intense speaker light style.

Back
Top Bottom