What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete STTNG - Flipper Rebuild, left, Right, Upper Right - First time using a soildering Iron! Subway clean and Ball Popper, Opto Rebuild and other things:)

Was wondering, I have a box of all the parts I took of the machine, nearly all worked, Selonoids, optos and indecent bulbs, is there a second hand market for this? Seems a shame to chuck them, ifyou had a williams machine you just wanted to get working without spending.

Only five things left to do.

Lost two canon screws, think I threw them out by mistake, can't find them anywhere so will have to order a couple more. I think I have the orginal old ones in a box of parts.

The kickback a litlte old and filthy I might as well change this, not paying £5 delivery for 2 screws! :) as I've pretty much changed everything else on this machine, whats another £20 between pinball :)

8 bulbs for the mission selctions are not LED's these are the last of the bulbs, all will then be LED's except the flashers.

New feet

New Glass
All sounds great, you missed one thing from the list, the last point of selling it to me lol,

edit, I’ve just read through this whole thread and tbh it’s put me off buying a sttng 😢

Last edited:
Was wondering, I have a box of all the parts I took of the machine, nearly all worked, Selonoids, optos and indecent bulbs, is there a second hand market for this? Seems a shame to chuck them, ifyou had a williams machine you just wanted to get working without spending.
absolutely, someone will make use of it.

All sounds great, you missed one thing from the list, the last point of selling it to me lol,

edit, I’ve just read through this whole thread and tbh it’s put me off buying a sttng 😢
:) If things change I will drop you a message.

The challenge with STTNG is the complexity and age with it, which to be honest I very much underestimated. (Before I owned one I had never seen underneath a machine!) You will be fine if you purchase a clean, well maintained/restored/parts updated one. Although they will go wrong from time to time, as most pinball machines do. Expect to pay on here £3.2 to £3.5K for a good one. (possibily a little more) Altough I'm sure there will be people on here saying you can get one for £2k :) and you might, but expect to pay at least £1k fixing it!

A couple of tips if you still want one:

1) Make sure there is no battery damage on the board
2) Make sure the ball hopper assembly has the correct coils, most of them in the machine are AE-23-800. (they are printed on them)
3) Make sure the 3 flippers have the right flipper coils, FL-11629 (blue). From personal experience the wrong williams ones will work, however they will damage the fliptronics board over time.
4) Make sure the subway, the large plastic thing is clear and you can see through it, means its been taken apart and cleaned. I thought it was black!
5) Make sure the divertors have the right coils- AE-25-1000. These are attached to the subway.
6) Make sure the coils /selnoids are clean, means they where changed recently and not in 1998! See my pics of old ones I took of the machine
7) When testing the machine make sure all the flippers hold, this is holding the button down, the flipper will stay upright, if it jitters or misbahaves in any way its most likely a problem with the fliptronics board.
8) Look at the opto's if the white ones are yellow its likely they have never been changed. The white fades over time, they might cause issues. There are alot in the machine
9) Make sure all the lights work and are not intermitant, missing some lights for me general illumination means most likely a problem with the powerdriver board.
10) play a 10 ball game with the factory settings on Extra easy, multiball set to 50%, this will play through all modes and you will get to Final frontier (unless your really rubbish) it will quickly tell you if there are problems. Ball's won't come out of the hopper (holes in the table, flippers will start to misbehave, mission's won't be possible, it might even look for balls from time to time :) ) If all good then your less likely to have any problems and it likely to have been well/regularly maintained.

My personal opinion is there no such thing as a bargin STTNG :) (if you don't have the considerble time and expertise/blind luck/help to restore it) but being a newbie I might be wrong :)

If you do decide to get one, people on here are incredibly helpful and will normally point you in a direction to solve. I wouldn't have been able to fix mine without the kind help from people on here.

It is a fun machine, lots of modes and multiballs, however whats one man's pinball heaven is another hell :) Thinking about it I might make my next machine a Stern playboy 2002......

:) If things change I will drop you a message.

The challenge with STTNG is the complexity and age with it, which to be honest I very much underestimated. (Before I owned one I had never seen underneath a machine!) You will be fine if you purchase a clean, well maintained/restored/parts updated one. Although they will go wrong from time to time, as most pinball machines do. Expect to pay on here £3.2 to £3.5K for a good one. (possibily a little more) Altough I'm sure there will be people on here saying you can get one for £2k :) and you might, but expect to pay at least £1k fixing it!

A couple of tips if you still want one:

1) Make sure there is no battery damage on the board
2) Make sure the ball hopper assembly has the correct coils, most of them in the machine are AE-23-800. (they are printed on them)
3) Make sure the 3 flippers have the right flipper coils, FL-11629 (blue). From personal experience the wrong williams ones will work, however they will damage the fliptronics board over time.
4) Make sure the subway, the large plastic thing is clear and you can see through it, means its been taken apart and cleaned. I thought it was black!
5) Make sure the divertors have the right coils- AE-25-1000. These are attached to the subway.
6) Make sure the coils /selnoids are clean, means they where changed recently and not in 1998! See my pics of old ones I took of the machine
7) When testing the machine make sure all the flippers hold, this is holding the button down, the flipper will stay upright, if it jitters or misbahaves in any way its most likely a problem with the fliptronics board.
8) Look at the opto's if the white ones are yellow its likely they have never been changed. The white fades over time, they might cause issues. There are alot in the machine
9) Make sure all the lights work and are not intermitant, missing some lights for me general illumination means most likely a problem with the powerdriver board.
10) play a 10 ball game with the factory settings on Extra easy, multiball set to 50%, this will play through all modes and you will get to Final frontier (unless your really rubbish) it will quickly tell you if there are problems. Ball's won't come out of the hopper (holes in the table, flippers will start to misbehave, mission's won't be possible, it might even look for balls from time to time :) ) If all good then your less likely to have any problems and it likely to have been well/regularly maintained.

My personal opinion is there no such thing as a bargin STTNG :) (if you don't have the considerble time and expertise/blind luck/help to restore it) but being a newbie I might be wrong :)

If you do decide to get one, people on here are incredibly helpful and will normally point you in a direction to solve. I wouldn't have been able to fix mine without the kind help from people on here.

It is a fun machine, lots of modes and multiballs, however whats one man's pinball heaven is another hell :) Thinking about it I might make my next machine a Stern playboy 2002......
Thanks for this list I’ve copied it and added to notes, 👍

Picked up some new glass from Pinball Heaven!

Also got some foam cleaner, screws I lost from the left canon, 10 LED bulbs to replace the last of incandescent bulbs and the parts to rebuilt the bottom left kickback.

Cleaned and polished the playfield (again) had done it when I first got the machine, that time every plastic was black :))

Used the foam cleaner from Pinball heaven, then pinheadz cleaner, then pinheadz wax, looks great.

Took off the mission board and cleaned the plastic holes, filthy and fitted Comet Super bright from PInball Heaven. Missions now have gone from a horrible yellow colour to white!

PXL_20210313_130613748.jpg

7 months later and an empty bank account the machine is finally finished.

Thanks o everyone who has given advice that has allowed me to even get it working.

Site donation made.

Can now close this shop log!

Back
Top Bottom