What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stranger Things Pinball - now with Video reveal

Stern are always going to put games out early with unfinished code. It is not like the old days where Bally Williams could put 10 prototypes around in bars/arcades and get feedback that way. If they did that these days it would be on the internet in 10 minutes so its easier to do code updates when they get the bugs/feedback.

All the manufactures do it that way now - apart from CGC for obvious reasons.....

Stern are always going to put games out early with unfinished code. It is not like the old days where Bally Williams could put 10 prototypes around in bars/arcades and get feedback that way. If they did that these days it would be on the internet in 10 minutes so its easier to do code updates when they get the bugs/feedback.

All the manufactures do it that way now - apart from CGC for obvious reasons.....

Yeah no problem with that. It’s the 6 month or longer wait sometimes between updates that gets annoying.. regular incremental updates are fine and what is expected now with larger separated teams

It's just a general decline in the overall industry. Online patching has made shipping unfinished software the norm. Look at the number of video games that are unplayable at launch and take weeks/months for fixes to arrive. Not great, but not suprising as when you had to burn new chips there was a 'cost', but now, for Stern, late code updates to completed and sold hardware are actually costing them money, so I'm amazed they do it at all!!

Ok, back to the analogy of Boyzone pin has been released, gameplay is totally awesome, best so far.......... has a full montage of all your favourites Neil on the cab [emoji2] with their chests on show, pubes etc.... I take it you will have it take pride of place in your Domino arcade? [emoji23]

Dood - I’ve got Iron Maiden - boyzone is less embarrassing !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

It's just a general decline in the overall industry. Online patching has made shipping unfinished software the norm. Look at the number of video games that are unplayable at launch and take weeks/months for fixes to arrive. Not great, but not suprising as when you had to burn new chips there was a 'cost', but now, for Stern, late code updates to completed and sold hardware are actually costing them money, so I'm amazed they do it at all!!

Decline? Not sure I agree; I think you can’t compare software from one time to another, the complexity of what we have today is vastly bigger than before. And then think about something like Jet Set Willy back in the 80s or BSD. Both with game crippling bugs - Then look at GOTG; big refresh purely to sell more and it worked. TNA - co-op mode added after a punter suggested it on pinside - so good and bad things around patching but yes I’d love the software was better overall.

Jim is spot on - if we had predictability in code updates which should be possible it would make things a lot better. Batman 66 was a farce at one point and don’t start on GB! . Now we have BKSoR, JP2, Elvira, ImDN and Deadpool all waiting for code updates.

They are done; whether Stern release them is another question.

From Levi who I have a lot of respect for...

I played it. It’s fun. Leg levelers where about half way out in the rear and we had zero problems getting the ball to plunge deep in the orifice. The one set up a few blocks away I’m told that shot was impossible and the game was at max steepness, so that could be a clue for you forlorn no ballers.
Another fun game. It’s nice and fast and smooth.
Time will tell where it settles in the grand scheme of things.
I really had zero problems with the game. A couple in my party did; they were just repeating Facebook / pinside complaints they’ve seen about “cheapness” and “Plastic.” Kind of feel bad for them as the internet is slowly ruining their enjoyment of pinball.
My best games (over 100 mill) I was avoiding the center completely except for if I had it open by chance or during the lucrative upside down hurry ups. Every other shot is safer so why take the risk? Same way I play Afm. I played 5 or 6 games my best score was 270 mill (the GC. Game been on location only 1 day).
A friend of mine couldn’t resist the center strat and was consistently getting the second demo which is a 2 ball multi. He was getting decent scores but I wasn’t digging that style of play. In all my games I only opened the demo once, I was more focused on all the other shots.
I’d agree the big flat billboard looks a little funny at first glance but when it opens the lighting effect was really cool. I liked all the lighting and the way the game looks. It’s stranger things and has lots of stranger things stuff on it.
I think if you are looking for things to hate about it you’ll have no problem coming up with stuff to hate about it. If you bought it and want to like it, you’ll be really happy with it. It’s fun now, has an excellent presentation, and will get loads better as code matures.
So everybody’s happy!

Thet are obviously cutting costs and ditching decent artwork. Bring back Dirty donny and sorry Zombie Yeti!
To be honest who cares. ?? I love stranger things !! The bitching and penny pinching over what you get is silly 🙄if you can’t afford it don’t buy it !! But don’t moan about the price if it’s out of your price range
That’s why they offer pro premium and le pins

To be honest who cares. ?? I love stranger things !! The bitching and penny pinching over what you get is silly 🙄if you can’t afford it don’t buy it !! But don’t moan about the price if it’s out of your price range
Good point Lee
Nobody has put a gun to anyone’s head
Play it - then if you like it. can afford it. Buy it!
simple.

Have a great 2020 all

To be honest who cares. ?? I love stranger things !! The bitching and penny pinching over what you get is silly [emoji849]if you can’t afford it don’t buy it !! But don’t moan about the price if it’s out of your price range
Ah the old 'I don't like what you are saying so you should be quiet ' argument [emoji3]

Well what you call 'bitching' or 'moaning' many others just call 'discussing' or voicing an opinion, a thought.

I guess we could all just say nothing but that would rather defeat the purpose of a forum. [emoji3]

forum

(ˈfɔːrəm)

n, pl -rums or -ra (-rə)

1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

And then think about something like Jet Set Willy back in the 80s or BSD. Both with game crippling bugs -

The change is that those are no longer the exception. The ‘ship it on date, we can fix it later’ attitude is now standard, each release bringing new issues

A published cycle would be good, but when games sell anyway, where’s the incentive to revisit and finish the game

Stern have got no real competition in the area that they do business - volume selling multiple new themes per year.

JJP is the only other game in town really and they don’t crank stuff out at anything like the same volume.

And people keep buying them in spite of the prices going up and quality & quantity of toys etc going down.

I guess it’s understandable - if you don’t buy Stern who are you going you buy the latest theme from? Problem is because of this they have absolutely no motivation to change course. People complaining about playfield clear pooling and artwork chipping, but then Stranger Things gets announced and it’s futurama_fry_take_my_money.jpg

Tis what it is though I guess.

Stranger things have happened!
Looks like this playfield is going to get a bashing from those high air balls.
1578217141931.jpeg

It’s an Eddy game. Fast and furious! I remember AFM when it came out. Was covered in dents within weeks!

I must be lucky then because my original AFM has no dimples and it’s pretty well used with usual insert and sol wear.
Just checked it with a torch and honestly can’t see any dimples from any angle. Seen the the repro AFM playfields peppered with dimples though.
Probably different batches of playfields then?

Attachments

• 3EA3830C-E610-47D1-BEB7-9BBA895410F9.jpeg
    3EA3830C-E610-47D1-BEB7-9BBA895410F9.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 24
I must be lucky then because my original AFM has no dimples and it’s pretty well used with usual insert and sol wear.
Just checked it with a torch and honestly can’t see any dimples from any angle. Seen the the repro AFM playfields peppered with dimples though.
Probably different batches of playfields then?
The clear is thinner on the older pins compared to Sterns so no so deep.
Plus Like Phil said has flattened out.

Take a closer picture at an angle and you will see them.
Not a problem as every machine has them regardless of what people say.

Back
Top Bottom