What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

stern prices

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
I was never priced in lol

LMAO. Me too. Fortunately, i got into pinball back when you could get most machines for well under a grand. I built a collection early, then sold them (TAF and SS to be exact) to fund my Tron purchase. Doubtful if i will ever buy a new pin outright, so letting go of my other pins to fund them is always hard.

We all know it all boils down to sales. If batman bombs and sales are not as forecast then will they return to a previous pricing strategy.
But in reality can you see batman not selling?
It is a hell of a lot of cash.
Just have to wait for the pricing on the next big stern release.

Batman is sold out from and LE and SLE pov.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most uncomfortable thread I've ever read.

On the actual point of the post, prices, exchange rates, inflation adjusted etc are irrelevant. Things in life sell for what people are willing to pay for them. If people think Stern are charging too much they will not buy their product. Prices will drop to a level people are happy to pay. Usual supply and demand, no need to over think it.

How many others here are getting priced out on the basis other life things are more worth the money? Just curious.....

I was seriously considering getting a hobbit but instead ended up getting a tron and going on a 3 week florida holiday instead. Having said that, the combination of tron mods and disney prices are starting to make the hobbit look more like it would have been the sensible choice :confused:

How come Stern needed investors? Were they not making money/running at a loss? Or just wanting to expand to larger premises/more efficient manufacturing techniques?

According to an interview recorded in Pinball Magazine:

Stern was going under in 2009. An investment company headed by Dave Peterson stepped in and rescued it. That company must have had to put a lot of money in, and they now own Stern. They therefore now call the shots.

But it has to be a good thing for us that they did step in - how many great pinballs have Stern produced since 2009? AC/DC, Metallica, Tron, Star Trek, Walking Dead...

And I'd guess @stoptap is right, the money men control Stern, they took the gamble rescuing it, and now they want their due profits.

Sadly I think they're in danger of killing the goose that's laying golden eggs. Pinball prices are rising way too fast to be sustained.

Last edited:
I was seriously considering getting a hobbit but instead ended up getting a tron and going on a 3 week florida holiday instead. Having said that, the combination of tron mods and disney prices are starting to make the hobbit look more like it would have been the sensible choice :confused:

Wise choice. Don't think all the mods are worth the money tbh (like the Flynn arcade cab). You can't get enough Florida holidays !!

Have you been to Disney yet or are you going ?

Interesting! Didn't realise that, businesses will charge what they can get away with, can't blame them for that, with little competition that's what happens.

Plus Neil, if you do have a P1 you’re a legend, my favourite of the current batch of hyper cars ;)

According to an interview recorded in Pinball Magazine:

Stern was going under in 2009. An investment company headed by Dave Peterson stepped in and rescued it. That company must have had to put a lot of money in, and they now own Stern. They therefore now call the shots.

But it has to be a good thing for us that they did step in - how many great pinballs have Stern produced since then? AC/DC, Metallica, Tron, Star Trek, Walking Dead...

And I'd guess @stoptap is right, the money men control Stern, they took the gamble rescuing it, and now they want their due profits.

Sadly I think they're in danger of killing the goose that's laying golden eggs. Pinball prices are rising way too fast to be sustained.
A lot of these investment companies leave firms in much worse positions than when they 'rescued' them.
They have elevated their prices putting them much nearer JJP but with lower quality. If Homepin or even Heighway can step into the market at a much lower price with readily available games Stern may well just find themselves having no market place.
I think JJP dropped a monumental bollock with the price of Dialled In. Had it been priced cheaper they could have seriously damaged Stern's sales next year.

Have you been to Disney yet or are you going ?

Been before but not on this trip just yet, today is a universal studios day. The outlet malls aren't as cheap as they used to be either and I have had plenty of time loitering outside shops to reach this conclusion ! I've still managed to put on an impressive amount of weight though.

Been before but not on this trip just yet, today is a universal studios day.

Transformers ride ROCKS ! Better than Spider-Man.... and that's ace. :D

Sorry....., back on topic grumbling about pin prices and show-offs.

Last edited:
Been before but not on this trip just yet, today is a universal studios day. The outlet malls aren't as cheap as they used to be either and I have had plenty of time loitering outside shops to reach this conclusion ! I've still managed to put on an impressive amount of weight though.

The new hulk is cool also!

Don't forget Kennedy Space Center! December 18th has a launch - Delta rocket - worth seeing!

Oh you're there now ! How nice.

Did you know that most Disney hotels have pins in them ? You can get free buses to any hotel from any (Disney) theme park.

I don't go back until July next year. :(
Love it over there and would emigrate if the Mrs would go.

Don't forget Kennedy Space Center! December 18th has a launch - Delta rocket - worth seeing!
Would loooove to see that. Is that the new generation one, almost on a Saturn V kind of scale?

One of my biggest regrets is missing one of the shuttle launches by one day when I was in Florida a good while back. If I'd have thought ahead I'd have timed my vacation differently. Did get to visit the Kennedy Space Center though. Absolutely awe inspiring stuff

Edit: No it's the Space Launch System I'm thinking of - scheduled for initial launch around November 2018. That would be an epic timing for a trip to Florida :)
http://www.space.com/26015-nasa-space-launch-system-orion-capsule.html

Last edited:
And the space shuttle they now have at Kennedy on display, wow, boys own stuff

Oh you're there now ! How nice.

Did you know that most Disney hotels have pins in them ? You can get free buses to any hotel from any (Disney) theme park.

I don't go back until July next year. :(
Love it over there and would emigrate if the Mrs would go.
The only thing about getting old that I'm actually looking forward to is the possibility of emigrating to Florida!

Would loooove to see that. Is that the new generation one, almost on a Saturn V kind of scale?

One of my biggest regrets is missing one of the shuttle launches by one day when I was in Florida a good while back. If I'd have thought ahead I'd have timed my vacation differently. Did get to visit the Kennedy Space Center though. Absolutely awe inspiring stuff

Edit: No it's the Space Launch System I'm thinking of - scheduled for initial launch around November 2018. That would be an epic timing for a trip to Florida :)
http://www.space.com/26015-nasa-space-launch-system-orion-capsule.html

No SLS Is 2018 and I'm definitely going to be at it!

Delta is the biggest rocket the US can launch right now and it's military. I saw 4 shuttle launches but would trade it all in to have seen an Apollo Saturn V launch.

The Atlantis attraction is fantastic as is the Saturn V centre - so awesome VR stuff their too!

Neil

Managed to see a Launch and a Landing at the Cape.

Landing was much more impressive than the launch I thought, Radio contact with the shuttle, every time it came back around on its orbit, was played over the tannoys

Tripple sonic boom as it broke through the atmosphere and a million birds taking off across the flats and beaches... awesome sight and sounds.

But yeah Sterns are expensive :rolleyes:

There is a great pinball app in the USA called pinball map (has a pink app logo) you download each region and it lists all the pinball machines locally, only has USA data in so I thought I'd post it - it's crowd sourced so data is uptodate include in many cases what version of the code and any problems with the machines.

I know that I am just another @@@@ in a field of @@@@s. I am under no illusions as to my irrelevance in the grand scheme of things

Regardless. With @cooldan , @replicas and with @chris b and others who quietly feel revulsion and disgust, but do not want to get involved; I do find the continual stream of look at me, I am so loaded, loadsamoney, I made a packet, look at me in the usa, loadsa rolexes, flash the cash, buying all these new Sterns ..... disseminated by @Neil McRae tasteless and crass.

I would invite him to tone it down and recognise many on this forum have a very small fraction of the financial resources he has. There is a world outside the South East, the little people in provincial UK, struggling to make ends meet, doing what they can to get by. To whom a grand on a machine is a very, very big decision.

If @Neil McRae cannot contain himself, and act with a degree of humility and modesty, might he like to post somewhere else, like the rich kids of Instagram or a similar bragfest where folk want and expect stuff like he disseminates.

Last edited:
Don't do it David. I was plastered and I was out of order. I apologised and wish I hadn't done it, but we all let ourselves down sometimes. I'm sure it'll all work itself out in the end.

Sorry again people.

Back
Top Bottom