What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

stern prices

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
Back when TAF came out beer was about £1.30-£1.50 a pint. Now it's £6 (there's a reason not to drink in London:mad:). Can I use that as the rate of inflation?

Out of interest what's happened to the price of a fruit machine over the same time period? Also do they still take the same kind of money they used to or have phones etc cut into the more casual players?

£6- LOL where are you drinking ?

That statement is incorrect.

When taf came out at I think £2100 + VAT (ish) they were 25p a game (£1 for 4 cred) now they are 4750 + VAT (trade) and 66p a game (£2 for 3 cred)

The residual value of the game is way more than they used to be too...

Phil
I'm still venue hunting Phil!! :thumbs:

If Williams were still making pins today you can bet your bottom dollar they would be on a par with Stern and JJP prices and no doubt they would have also cut build standards.

Have had dealings with SG Gaming recently who WMS merged with and I know first hand that they will rip you for every penny they can.

Very much depends where you go out. £5-£5.50 is pretty common in central London pubs. A few might be £4.50 ish. Had the misfortune to go out to a leaving do on Friday in Stratford and it was coming in at £35-£40 for a round of 6 drinks. I'm old enough to remember when I first went to pubs it was 73p a pint.
Bloody hell, I feel like a right tight git but I hardly ever go out now. Went out yesterday to a gig, so had to pay £50 for a babysitter before I'd even left the house. Drinks were £5 a pop. Some trendy **** hole in Hackney full of blokes with big beards. Probably could have saved money by staying in and buying a ****ing NIB instead;).

None of which is really relevant to Stern's price increase......

<Content Deleted>

that's the funniest thing I've read on this forum ever and btw I-can't-keep-it-cooldan - I have a message just for you:

"It's all paid for dood!"

Stick that in your ball lock and plunge on it!

Have a nice Christmas! And I'm looking forward to giving you that chance to play Batman still!

Mods please don't ban him - nothing amuses me more than when I've wound someone up so well as this!

BEST CHRISTMAS PRESENT EVER!

(Oh and the last picture is a photoshop obviously given ITS BUZZ ALDRIN'S APOLLO 11 WSS!)

Regards,
Neil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't like people looking down on others and pulling the I am considerabley richer than you card.
Dan has put it across in a way only Dan can. Mods don't ban him because it's not only Dan who don't like people like this, the bloke is new to the hobby and needs to learn a few things about the pinball community and what a cracking group of people they really are. We do not need people like this within our community. Everybody I've met and know are great people, we don't want another @Multiballs.

that's the funniest thing I've read on this forum ever and btw I-can't-keep-it-cooldan - I have a message just for you: "It's all paid for dood!"
Stick that in your ball lock and plunge on it!
Have a nice Christmas! And I'm looking forward to giving you that chance to play Batman still!
Mods please don't ban him - nothing amuses me more than when I've wound someone up so well as this!
BEST CHRISTMAS PRESENT EVER!
(Oh and the last picture is a photoshop obviously given ITS BUZZ ALDRIN'S APOLLO 11 WSS!)
Regards,
Neil.
you totally owned me, i'm so embarrassed. i thought that was you in space. i really thought that was you, passing the tests for intelligence and articulacy and dexterity and mobility and general human aptitude. i wouldn't pass you fit to stack shelves at Aldi, yet somehow you've turned over the cards and ended up a millionaire. i guess that means everyone here wishes they were you. i know i do.

"Why Can't I Be You?"

You're so gorgeous I'll do anything
I'll kiss you from your feet
To where your head begins
You're so perfect you're so right as rain
You make me
Make me hungry again

Everything you do is irresistable
Everything you do is simply kissable
Why can't I be you?

I'll run around in circles
Til I run out of breath
I'll eat you all up
Or I'll just hug you to death
You're so wonderful
Too good to be true
You make me
Make me hungry for you

Everything you do is simply delicate
Everything you do is quite angelicate
Why can't I be you?

You turn my head when you turn around
You turn the whole world upside down
I'm smitten I'm bitten I'm hooked I'm cooked
I'm stuck like glue
You make me
Make me hungry for you

Everything you do is simply dreamy
Everything you do is quite delicious
Why can't I be you?
Why can't I be you?
Why can't I be you?

This shiz is super funny. I'd offer a witty retort, but i can just about spell right now. (thanks red spellcheck line)

I

you totally owned me, i'm so embarrassed. i thought that was you in space. i really thought that was you, passing the tests for intelligence and articulacy and dexterity and mobility and general human aptitude. i wouldn't pass you fit to stack shelves at Aldi, yet somehow you've turned over the cards and ended up a millionaire. i guess that means everyone here wishes they were you. i know i do.

Wow not-so-cooldan in that paragraph you for one thing actually right - have a fat bastard cookie!

I can't wait for the day my life sucks so much I have to trawl facebook and find pictures of someone I don't like to try and bully them into my way of thinking - good luck with that no-so-cooldan.

Regards
Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The exchange rate in 1992 was $1.77 to the £ so that requires some adjustment compared to todays prices ?

Yes that's why I was using the UK inflation rate to avoid have to figure out what the exchange rate movements mean. But I'm happy with the theory that they would be roughly the same price - watching TILT the price for a PIn2K was $3500 in the end and yet WMS closed the company thinking it wasn't able to consistently make a profit - although it's clear that there was a lot of cost saving and efficiency opportunities in WMS (factory scheduling for example) factor those things in and I'm pretty convinced that they would be in the same price bracket and would also have taken even more cost reduction opportunities (standard cabinets for titles like MB, AFM, MM show they were on this path to some extent already).

Neil.

Not going to even begin to get involved with the 'actual ' debate but a word of warning to Dan as in this day and age you have got very close to a 'hate crime' and wouldn't want this to esculate.

We talk, play and pinball for FUN as otherwise what is the point?:clap:

It does seem a little bizarre criticising someone for buying things (toys) most can't afford and talking about it...
on a forum that's based around buying unnecessary toys most people can't afford? Or am I missing something here?

He's not criticising about what he buys it's the fact he brags about it. Such as dropping in to a thread that he had a 19k watch.

i was drunk and miserable and out of order, i overstepped the line in my personal comments. i apologise for that.

Stern prices are what they are, i'm reading the massive thread on Pinside about it now. over in the US, they don't like that a new game that last year cost them $6-9K .... possibly now may be $8-12K. here in the UK, we might be matching their numbers, but in £

reading this thread again makes me cringe and squirm. i may play the cocky confident fool on here, but in reality i'm a depressive self-destructive unpleasant person. my life is in the toilet right now, and i guess my anger, which almost never sees the light of day, is next door to my sadness which is continual but currently fine-tuned by circumstance, and this guy just was in the wrong place at the wrong time and got my nasty side on full beams. what else can i say. it's pathetic. someone please shoot me in the back of the head.

Last edited:
Stern are probably just profiteering, lack of proper competition, that's what happens I guess..
Most of the cost of a new machine will be labour anyway I would assume, but even that will be cheaper now due to more advanced/cheaper CNC techniques and better boards/less wires.

The secondary effect of all this is that B/W games are getting harder to find and those prices are rising.

Crazy really in that TRON LE was something like £5300 NIB and here we are at £10000 for Batman 66 LE. Any the difference is that a colour display has been added.

I am finding it hard to make my wife believe that this is a cheap hobby;)

Gouging by the investors. They put money into Stern and now they want their return.
The price for Batman 66 is obscene seeing as though it is little more than a re-theme of an existing game with a cheaper colour screen.

How many others here are getting priced out on the basis other life things are more worth the money? Just curious.....

How come Stern needed investors? Were they not making money/running at a loss? Or just wanting to expand to larger premises/more efficient manufacturing techniques?

Back
Top Bottom