What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern Led Zeppelin

I wonder where that authorised, well thought out art pack came from for the Pro + Prem 🤷‍♂️
Stern got inspired during their weekly shop for playfield toys at Walmart 😃
9E5CF5AE-E955-41C5-AB16-A54862B2C26C.jpeg

Some interesting discussion around the LZ pin on the Stern Insiders podcast. Lead engineer John Rothamel mentioned that they moved through “a lot” of design iterations around the back of the playfield and which were put aside due to complexity and cost. It seems that some of the complexity that Ritchie set out to achieve simply wasn't possible as it wasn't quite working out, shot-wise, within the production time.

On artwork, Stephen Jenson said that there was a limited style guide to work with due to a limited set of "drab" original artwork from which to take inspiration, as well as the licensing team having a view on the sort of look they wanted (on the cabs), but that there was a push from Ritchie and Gary to see colour on the playfield.

Myself, whilst the playfield art isn't what I was expecting, I like it and I get it. Jensom said it was about reflecting what a playfield might have looked like in the late 60s (just as the Beatles pins does for the early 60s). It works better for me than what's been done for Iron Madien and ACDC, but then I'm an old sod.

I do think that the 'burn your eyes' LE has rather clouded the overall judgment.

The 10 songs were approved by the licensing team, rather than the design team.

Anyway, we'll learn more from the stream.

Last edited:
Steve always seems to get the bastard licensors. This and Star Wars.

Neil.

I didn’t stay up for it and the DCMA flunkies have taken the video down so couldn’t watch it this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well, I'd be at risk at showing that I know naff all about pins but, then, I do know what I like (as Phil said - that's Mr Genesis Phil :) ). And I liked it very much indeed! The video is posted on the Stern insider page. Looked like they'd invested in the amination a fair bit.

It sure is a light show!
Just ordered a speaker/lights upgrade from James for my prem :excited

Some grainy shots.

1608378448809.png

1608378402118.png

1608378468213.png

1608378292314.png

1608378480239.png

1608378326135.png

1608378495008.png

1608378342290.png

1608378360098.png

1608378369769.png

1608378379744.png

1608379219221.png

Last edited:
thanks for the link Jon, didn't see that they had put it up - but yes I like the flow of it typical fantastic Richie flow - loving it. I'll probably pick this up next year at some point.

If you are getting speaker light kits make sure you are go the LE route and upgrade the speakers, the Premium speakers can barely outplay a ZX Spectrum.

Animations are fantastic for sure with the tour plane, album art and Zeppelin launch etc....
Love the concert footage with the psychedelic effect.
Electric Magic spinner looks great fun....
The English call out bloke a bit sh^t but better than expected.
This looks to be a much better shooter than GnR to me.

I still can't help think........
Just been playing my Luci Vault. It's ram packed with stuff to shoot for. For a rock pin, it has loads of stuff and the art IMO is superb.
The LZ has flow but makes you wonder, they have def cutting back on the materials here.
I do like LZ though..... love both the spinners + effects.

I still can't help think........
Just been playing my Luci Vault. It's ram packed with stuff to shoot for. For a rock pin, it has loads of stuff and the art IMO is superb.
The LZ has flow but makes you wonder, they have def cutting back on the materials here.
I do like LZ though..... love both the spinners + effects.
I don't think any Stern going forward will have as much as ACDC had in it :(

As I've said before, as a newbie I'm simply not informed enough beyond what I read and see on YT, rather than from experience, to provide a fully considered opinion. But my instinct is for quick shooters and an immersive experience from sounds and lights, rather than toys necessarily, though I would have loved even a set of inline drops. And there's no question that I wouldn't be buying this if it weren't for the theme. (I like the playfield art, btw). I keep going back to what was said on the podcast, about complexity being ripped out of it because it wasn't shooting right, and the mention about the challenges around production time. I reckon the intention was to have more in it, but the team blew too much time away on the R&D.

All that said, I can't wait, but I'd expect it would be a different matter if I had already more than 1 music pin.

Last edited:
Love Led Zeppelin but still think they have missed the mark by a mile

This is the problem with pinball too much old blood stalling innovation and progress

Nothing there makes me have to have it. Will wait for Godzilla.

Is there talk of Godzilla?! If it's proper Toho Kaiju then it's an incredible theme choice. If it's Mathew Broderick/Roland Emmerich Godzilla it's a disaster. If it's modern American monsterverse Godzilla it's got potential but I would want the official theme music and ideally King Ghidorah, Rodan and Mothra all involved. Massive potential with this theme!

Love Led Zeppelin but still think they have missed the mark by a mile

This is the problem with pinball too much old blood stalling innovation and progress

I agree... I love Led Zep but Steve Ritchie was the one of the last people I would have wanted to design it. I hate back-handed ramps (who cares which flipper the balls ends up at if you can make the shot from either?), and the only bigger disppointment is that the LE is signed... wow, signed by Jimmy right? Or at least Robert? Signed by who, sorry? Signed by Steve Ritchie? Are you actually kidding me? Who wants their Led Zep machine signed by the designer rather than a band member, not me :mad: I realise that's the Stern way, I just don't get the adulation over the same old designers that have been around for 30+ years...

I'd have liked the blimp to actually lock and hold the balls, I don't get why they didn't do that. The hermit shot from the upper right reminds me of the trainwreck on TAF, except of course on LZ that's the *only* shot it can make really. Which pushes you towards the Prem to get the ramp... that's a big increase in UK price for one ramp and the Electric Magic toy though. And as much as the artwork on the Prem is iconic as an album cover it pains me to say it's not the best on a pin... I'm wondering if the best option isn't a Pro with the Expression Lighting as an add-on :hmm:

My initial impressions were that it looked kinda crap but I have to say upon seeing a lot more footage it looks extremely crap. Who knows, I may shoot one and love it but I'm thinking possibly not.

LZ unfortunately is disappointing.
Stern know they have their dependable cult followers who will buy it to keep the coffers topped.

They need to get somone with more skills to play who actually knows what he is doing! But in all honesty that video is gonna put a lot of people off.
The music of this pin can shaw up a poorly made game but the blandness of the playfield and shots is where pinball is at where this has very little to give in this area IMO.
Nice Video and animations are not what people buy pinballs for its the shots, toys and layout. The bonus to that is if it has nice video, lightshow and more importantly Cab Art.
It may sell to Zep fans but it aint gonna cross boundrys like maiden did or GnR almost certainly has already.
I will wait till tilt has one and maybe spend a few quid with so many downers I think I may be pleasantly surprised but not enough to own that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom