What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern Indiana Jones Code Rewrite & Port Over Progress

myPinballs

Site Supporter
Alias
Jim
Here's a quick video of progress on my new extended Indiana Jones Project in case you have missed the thread on pinside. (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/indiana-jones-stern-software-rewrite-port-over-the-journey) Porting over my WMS Indiana Jones code base to this playfield/game. It will be in my hacking lab at NLP for all to see, play, discuss, enjoy etc. Software is early, so expect some crashes etc!!

Some good places to look at in the video are 4.10 in for Well of Souls multiball and 7.20 in for temple locks and main multiball. The temple lock is working well now. I have it set for 3 hits to lite lock then repeat etc. All adjustable via settings. Also, the jackpot on multiball is now working to though there is still much more to do.

Current p-roc board install looks like this:

IMG_4387.JPG

Looking forward to a game and a chat on this one.
If one game needed a new code writing its this one.

A few newer vids and pics. More code ported over and refined, features added. Now the embedded computer system with LCD screen and coloured graphics is in to. This is pretty much what will be at NLP now. I may make a few more changes to solve any bugs that crop up. Really enjoying playing it :)

With computer and LCD

Before LCD install

Who's starting their own rewrite project then??

That's really cool :)

Question, is there any plans to change the original stern code? I know I am in the minority but I love the stern game but obviously aware of how lacking the code is, especially all the crystal skull stuff. Could it be done or is it in your plans to make the stern one better maybe a mix of the both? Like use the soundtrack from the stern one and lose the old williams one, is it possible to mix the two together I suppose is what I am saying as in keep some modes from the williams one and some from stern that kinda thing, cause if that ever happens I will,want one in a heartbeat :)

That's really cool :)

Question, is there any plans to change the original stern code? I know I am in the minority but I love the stern game but obviously aware of how lacking the code is, especially all the crystal skull stuff. Could it be done or is it in your plans to make the stern one better maybe a mix of the both? Like use the soundtrack from the stern one and lose the old williams one, is it possible to mix the two together I suppose is what I am saying as in keep some modes from the williams one and some from stern that kinda thing, cause if that ever happens I will,want one in a heartbeat :)

The plan is to include more quotes and speech from the films so some of the additional quotes from the stern game will be included. These will also be back ported into the wms game to, so both games use the same asset base. The stern version will have additions and changes to make best use of the devices on this playfield as shown by the locking of balls for regular multiball into the temple scoop. The ark device will also be heavily integrated, though this won't be in for the show and i will have 4 decent modes for the 4th film in both versions of the game eventually to.

Come over and have a play on it and see what you think. That is the main reason for having it on the stand. I'll be there to chat about any of the features, the code, the assets, how it goes together and what will be done in future etc etc

Also, if anyone is interested in trying it out /converting their own game then we can talk about how that might happen to :) And finally if anyone wants to start their own rewrite project on a stern/wms game then i'll be happy to explain how to get started :D

Looking at options to add some AFM secret modes in to the rewrite after nlp maybe! I have an idea for using a mode from ccc as a basis for a mode called Jones vs Aliens! This could be a tongue in cheek mode for the 4th film , or more of a randomly added secret into the hand of fate mystery awards. Need to chat with Eric to make sure he's ok with me borrowing the mode, but i think it could be awesome :)

Last edited:
Looking at options to add some AFM secret modes in to the rewrite after nlp maybe! I have an idea for using a mode from ccc as a basis for a mode called Jones vs Aliens! This could be a tongue in cheek mode for the 4th film , or more of a randomly added secret into the hand of fate mystery awards. Need to chat with Eric to make sure he's ok with me borrowing the mode, but i think it could be awesome :)

Eric's cool with this, so 'Jones vs Aliens' will be added in as a new mode when I get everything set back up from the playexpo outing and demo, along with the continuing port over and update.

Have some time today to work on my afm homage mode 'Jones vs Aliens'. Will post another update later if i get the mode running. Currently going through the afm speech calls! One that is pretty apt for today is 'hey, look, your shoes untied!' !!

will it have the dub step music still on it ? ( like the cc at both the shows )

it was good at the nlp ,but it did fry my brain :hmm: :)

Got the basic of the mode running how i want it, hopefully will post a video tomorrow if time. The mode is more of an afm homage than anything, i've just borrowed some of the dmd animations eric did from his cvs mode, so i don't have to rework them. The rules currently are:

- hit ark to defeat ship forcefield then destroy ship
- left and right loops advance ship value
- jones targets complete to light smart bombs (and possibly extend time)
- mode is timed, so total is sum of all ships destroyed with the time.

The speech and sound effects for the mode are all arm calls. the mode music is the main afm play.

I am currently working out a way to pause the adventure letter spotting during this mode. I will also be adding some different sounds to inland,outline and mode start scoop for during this mode to enhance the afm feel of it.

Ok, here's a quick video of the mode so far.

I didn't manage to get a smart bomb lit or use it in the vid, but hopefully it gives a flavour. Need to add some animation to the main ship and some other sized explosion sprites, but all working pretty nicely so far. Note that its accessed from the first green mode lamp on the main panel

Lots of updates and tweaks to the game code recently. Haven't had time to post on both forums all the details, but you can follow the updates on pinside on the link below.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/t...ite-port-over-the-journey/page/2#post-2754420

In summary i have added another homage mode for Sega's Frankenstein recreating the 'Millions' mode as a random add in the the HOF mystery awards. Also, have been working through all the regular modes tweaking, fixing bugs and updating. Steal the stones has had a major update to fit in better, GI is now controllable and turns off for all video modes. Raven bar end scene totals and choreography have also been improved.

Screen Shot 2015-11-06 at 18.42.19.png Screen Shot 2015-11-07 at 13.26.13.png

Looking good :cool: do you know how much the kits will be? Just need to find a nice cheap ij4 pin for sale:D

The plan is to include more quotes and speech from the films so some of the additional quotes from the stern game will be included. These will also be back ported into the wms game to, so both games use the same asset base. The stern version will have additions and changes to make best use of the devices on this playfield as shown by the locking of balls for regular multiball into the temple scoop. The ark device will also be heavily integrated, though this won't be in for the show and i will have 4 decent modes for the 4th film in both versions of the game eventually to.

Come over and have a play on it and see what you think. That is the main reason for having it on the stand. I'll be there to chat about any of the features, the code, the assets, how it goes together and what will be done in future etc etc

Also, if anyone is interested in trying it out /converting their own game then we can talk about how that might happen to :) And finally if anyone wants to start their own rewrite project on a stern/wms game then i'll be happy to explain how to get started :D

Awesomness… Didn't get up to the NLP had a stupid wedding :( wanted to ask you ,now this is as a fan of the new stern pinball and a hater of the old IJ pin, the music from the Williams one in my opinion is dire and dull and irritating and the new one is awesome and sounds great will you be able to choose which score you have playing??? Jim also this is not me dissing it and I imagine you have bods putting in their tuppence all the time, just a genuine question from someone that will be buying one of these kits from you as soon as possible. Well after I get another IJ4, there is one in a pub in brighton and the op is gonna get a cheeky offer tomorrow morning ;)

Looking good :cool: do you know how much the kits will be? Just need to find a nice cheap ij4 pin for sale:D

Working out the cost for the kits at the mo. There are a lot of hardware items needed :computer system, Lcd screen, amp and the proc board

I want to price it reasonably though and not break the bank. The proc board is a high part of it and will most likely be a separate purchase. I'd like to do something similar to how ccc was offered.

Awesomness… Didn't get up to the NLP had a stupid wedding :( wanted to ask you ,now this is as a fan of the new stern pinball and a hater of the old IJ pin, the music from the Williams one in my opinion is dire and dull and irritating and the new one is awesome and sounds great will you be able to choose which score you have playing??? Jim also this is not me dissing it and I imagine you have bods putting in their tuppence all the time, just a genuine question from someone that will be buying one of these kits from you as soon as possible. Well after I get another IJ4, there is one in a pub in brighton and the op is gonna get a cheeky offer tomorrow morning ;)

The score is from the original 1993 game, though there may be an option for the re-orchestrated music from the Pin sound versions eventually. I am adding more speech quotes as things move forward.

That would be so sweet :)

Can't wait to see what you do with the crystal skull stuff as those modes stunk worse than the movie

That would be so sweet :)

Can't wait to see what you do with the crystal skull stuff as those modes stunk worse than the movie

I will be starting to work on the 3 remaining modes for the crystal skull after working through the changes needed for the 3 challenges mode. This is only one left that needs major tweaks front he original mode sets.

For the crystal skull i have a few ideas for rule logic. I fancy having another 2 ball quick multiball utilising the lock on the ramp, then releasing it along with another from the trough. I also fancy adding some with combos as progression or 2 shots in sequence, and one where you alternate between a set of left & right shots.

Having a total of 18 modes (2 hidden extras) plus the multiball & quick multiball rounds should keep everyone pretty busy :)

Sounds so fricking awesome :)
One of the best bits as a huge über Indy geek and what made the stern one so fanatatic was that in most of the modes each successful shot advanced a different dmd animation for each sceen so it felt like each time you made a shot you are rewarded with a bit more video from that certain movie ... Be great to see you keep that element in it as well Jim .....
Hey if ever fancy having a chat about another opinion from a huge Ij fan drop me a line .... As this project is soooooo fricking cool :)

Jim will all this hard work just be for the stern IJ or will there be a new awesome upgrade rom for the wms IJ that takes it up a gear whilst still ignoring the b*****d cousin that was the 4th film?!

Jim will all this hard work just be for the stern IJ or will there be a new awesome upgrade rom for the wms IJ that takes it up a gear whilst still ignoring the b*****d cousin that was the 4th film?!

As previously discussed this code project originated as a full rewrite for the WMS IJ game (started in 2011) and is now being ported over to the stern playfield and game with updates. There will be a back port to add all the recent changes back to the WMS IJ game to, so you will be able to play 'my' IJ game on both setups. Obviously there will be subtle differences due to the differing mechs and layouts, but the rules will be as close as possible on both. i.e you will be able to play 'Jones vs Aliens' on both setups

The Stern IJ port and update is the main focus currently.

Thats great news Jim, I love my wms IJ but like the Demo Time rom for DM it will be ace to have effectively a new game on an established layout. Can't wait mate! :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom