What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stern Avengers 2020

@Ads Nems as @Neil McRae that is extremely rare... I've never had a CPU fail on any STERN in five years and probably 15 plus games

That's why you buy from @philpalmer best service around
Agreed. Phil was superb in quickly resolving it and it wouldn't stop me ordering another new pin from him. The game is back up and running and is brilliant which is the most important thing!

Love your entusiasm m8 and its nice to see another real life player playing their very first game from NIB which reminds me very much of my usual experiance when having my 1st game.
There are too many pinball gods who hit every shot 1st time everytime and lose me with the depth and complexity of what they are doing keep up the good work I look forward to your gameplay video once you are dialled in.
well done

oh and I love your camera angles better than the usual top down ones.

Col

Cheers mate, I'm pretty crap but enjoy it so much. Every once in a while I play well though and I feel like I can't miss. . . . that's pinball at it's best.

I do love it even when I can't hit a donkeys @rse with a banjo. Champion Pub really kicked my butt the other day but I couldn't wait to return for more.

Not everyone can be brilliant but it doesn't mean that it's less enjoyable. So I crank up the extra balls, lower the back legs and have some fun 😂

As for the video. The angles and lighting will be much better for the next one , that was a rushed job.

Gonzo,
You come across really well. Nice edit, quality video. Quite professional. If only you were better at playing pinball..lol
Pro looks ramptastic.

Thank you Kenny 👍

If I were any good then it would be a 2 hour video and as my wife will testify that's far too much time to hear me talk.

Hmm my subway so far touch wood has been fine - not had that problem you’ve had Martyn. Guess this is a time issue. JazzB that problem has happened to a few on pinside also and likely will happen to them all.

Suspect we will see a fix kit coming out of stern for it though.

What manufacturing dates have you got?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sept 22nd on back of backbox. Not sure if that’s an indicator of anything.

In other news - made it to black order multiball!! First game where things started to click a bit more. Awesome shots and combos on this.

Watch RayDay on twitch to see how to work the strategies on the game - staggering scores.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Has anyone got a rulesheet link for this game please?

Also does anyone know where the 'portal' is. Apparently it's open but I don't know where to shoot 😂😂

Great shots btw. The right orbit is as good as it gets but unfortunately as Eric Morcambe once said. "I'm playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order".

Elvira & JP doesn't have them (flipper lights) but not sure if they were before or after BK

As for Avengers. . .

I managed to get some combos going tonight for the first time and it was very good. There's no doubt about it, this is a tough game and you need to learn the shots (well I do anyway).

I'm not sure if the following statement makes any sense but some games just seem to have all of the shots in the correct position. It's something that's evident the first time that you play a machine, the shots just seem instinctive, the ramps just seem to be exactly where you'd place them yourself.

With the exception of the right orbit everything on this game seems to have been positioned incorrectly with very unnatural geometry.

I'm sure everyone is different but for me Elvira, ST, TOM, Stranger Things, FT just seem to have a natural feel about them.

Jurassic Park 2 is one of my favourite games but with the exception of the T-Rex ramp everything seems to be in the wrong position. It's a test and the shots have to be learnt and practiced (for me anyway). Like JP I did not find AIQ a particularly rewarding game after the first few games although I'm sure better players would. However now I'm getting used to the geometry I'm getting better and the combos are fantastic.

I'm still not sure what I'm doing and I couldn't tell you what order I hit the ramps in but all three flippers were in action this time and there were some very fast loops. I got 11 combos apparently which felt pretty damn good.

This is a very big game.

This must be the fastest game I've ever played. What a blast!

I had a decent long game then.

Still no idea what's going on but that was mental . Intense, crazy speed pinball. 😂

I got a crazy multiball mode. Far too frenetic to look at the screen and check but the 6 balls felt like 20. I'm not sure I've played anything quite like it.

It's really growing on me.

Still not done the code update but quite frankly I'm not prepared to switch the thing off to install it. 20201102_210511.jpg

Makes my decision to get a Pro final then.
I stand by the fact that I don't miss the subway, nor the Marvel/Vertical ramp - BUT what I do miss is the feed to the right inlane from both of these (along with the feed from the Antman scoop).
It makes the Pro so much faster with less chance to trap/catch the ball or make controlled shots.

Still an absolute blast though. Will fit the shaker motor over the weekend.

The other change I noticed from other Sterns is that all dip switches are set to 0, which means that the first time you power the machine on, you go to a quick setup menu, where it asks you for language, country, time, freeplay.
Is this a step away from machines being 'US frequency locked' ?

The other change I noticed from other Sterns is that all dip switches are set to 0, which means that the first time you power the machine on, you go to a quick setup menu, where it asks you for language, country, time, freeplay.

No, apparently it saves them time not doing it at factory

I got a crazy multiball mode. Far too frenetic to look at the screen and check but the 6 balls felt like 20. I'm not sure I've played anything quite like it.

Yeah multiballs on this game are mental!

This came in on Elvira and has been on games since then and yeah I thought that maybe this solves that but no it doesn't sadly and even though you go through all the settings it doesn't even save some of the things you set, so when I've set freeplay, it hasn't remember it on previous games. On avengers I just skipped it and went to normal settings.

So guys what's the vibe. Being the Elwin fanboy that I am I need to know, has he done it again?

So guys what's the vibe. Being the Elwin fanboy that I am I need to know, has he done it again?
I've only played a little of Maiden, and no JP yet. Avengers got me on theme, art, and beauty of the shot layouts. So far, I'd say it has an amazing number of shots (bear in mind my lack of experience with Elwin pins), incredible combo's and a deep ruleset that is going to take ages to fully explore. Downsides are that the subway is a cool feature (IMO) but a weak design and is constantly losing balls, bits breaking off etc.. for a lot of people (myself included). I'm expecting Stern to fix this and send out parts or updated mechs at some point. The game mechanics can be frustrating at times, as it's pretty brutal in that you only get one attempt at each stone (or mode) and I personally find the music quite sombre and could do with something a bit more upbeat or heroic (totally subjective, but I expected to be fine with the music but it's grating on me a bit). With that said, it feels like it has the most number of shots in any game I've played and generally they are pretty smooth and easy to find (Cap Marvel loop can be tricky, but I like a tricky shot in a game \*cough* Death star Ramp *cough/. I like it a lot, and I usually take a while to warm to a game as i hate feeling like I'm crap at it.

I've only played a little of Maiden, and no JP yet. Avengers got me on theme, art, and beauty of the shot layouts. So far, I'd say it has an amazing number of shots (bear in mind my lack of experience with Elwin pins), incredible combo's and a deep ruleset that is going to take ages to fully explore. Downsides are that the subway is a cool feature (IMO) but a weak design and is constantly losing balls, bits breaking off etc.. for a lot of people (myself included). I'm expecting Stern to fix this and send out parts or updated mechs at some point. The game mechanics can be frustrating at times, as it's pretty brutal in that you only get one attempt at each stone (or mode) and I personally find the music quite sombre and could do with something a bit more upbeat or heroic (totally subjective, but I expected to be fine with the music but it's grating on me a bit). With that said, it feels like it has the most number of shots in any game I've played and generally they are pretty smooth and easy to find (Cap Marvel loop can be tricky, but I like a tricky shot in a game \*cough* Death star Ramp *cough/. I like it a lot, and I usually take a while to warm to a game as i hate feeling like I'm crap at it.
Thanks dude, that's interesting. You should definitely check out J-Park. I need to play an Avengers asap. I've got a couple of invites from new owners so will have the chance at some point.

Not that you should listen to others but watch SDTM latest YouTube stream This or That I found quite an interesting take on elwins pins in there.

Back
Top Bottom