What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So Who's Coming To 8 Bit Flip This Easter?

Went along for a couple of hours earlier. Great show, much preferred this to the Play Expo.

Looked like a very immersive game and very hard, judging by the scores I saw. Good for home.

Did look a little clunky at times but there is a big difference between watching and playing.

Should sell well for sure.

Looked like a very immersive game and very hard, judging by the scores I saw. Good for home.

Did look a little clunky at times but there is a big difference between watching and playing.

Should sell well for sure.
It IS clunky even by widebody standards - but somehow, it's bloody good because of it. The Heighway cabinet is so heavy and tolerant of abuse that the entire game feels like such a physical fight to play. It really grew on me as I played. It's very well thought out.

So what games did people enjoy the most? For me number one by quite a margin was the Metallica LE. Huge surprise as I really aren't a Stern fan at all. The only game I got my name on too. Also really enjoyed the Bride of Pinbot with the speakers and colour display. Didn't really get chance to form an opinion on Alien. It ate my money without even chewing on it.

For me, the surprises were, well, pretty much everything I hadn't played before; as I'm still new back into Pinball.

My take-home favourites that I didn't know going in though...
  • Bride of Pinbot 2.0 was very good
  • Alien was my favorite thing there
  • The Shadow is an excellent game I hadn't really looked at before
  • I actually really liked NBA Fastbreak. Don't hurt me
  • Flintstones is awesome
While I will say that while I really like BSD, I really disliked the game with normal flippers. Really makes the game quite limp.

I'd be surprised if anyone put more coins in Alien than me, must have had 25 games on it over the 2 days. Thought it was great and some unique shots and layout elements to it. Only issue is the ruleset not being very intuative at this stage but this can only improve over time.

Nice to meet some new faces in the comps and in general, @PBrookfield, keep at it, you did very well for your first comp. @JMP is my hero for the weekend :D

And @roadshow16, thanks for the awesome 4th round games, it was amazing fun and just shows how good those elite players can be when the pressure is really on. Not only chased down a 1bn deficit on Dracula on the last ball but went and doubled it too, I doft my cap to you sir! :thumbs:

Great event and hopefully lots of money raised for the charity!

For me, the surprises were, well, pretty much everything I hadn't played before; as I'm still new back into Pinball.

My take-home favourites that I didn't know going in though...
  • Bride of Pinbot 2.0 was very good
  • Alien was my favorite thing there
  • The Shadow is an excellent game I hadn't really looked at before
  • I actually really liked NBA Fastbreak. Don't hurt me
  • Flintstones is awesome
While I will say that while I really like BSD, I really disliked the game with normal flippers. Really makes the game quite limp.

BSD for me has gone from an 'absolute next purchase' to a 'probably never purchase'. I played both machines and couldn't hear the sound FX on either as the volume was set far too low. The sound is obviously a HUGE part of the experience on BSD and without it I was completely turned off.

To look at, today's star for me was Circus Volitare, couldn't believe how nice that pin was. Absolute eye candy :thumbs:

Metallica was a game that I really enjoyed aswell that I never thought I would...

But the surprise game that I had loads of fun with, was Roller games.

Was great event none the less, can't wait till NERG now to get my fix.

Not long got home and I'm knackered! Flash Gordon is staying in the car tonight :) Huge thanks to the NLP guys for another awesome event, thanks and respect to everyone who loaned games and it was cool to see everyone :thumbs: Next up will be Play Glasgow I think but next for me is NERG.

BSD for me has gone from an 'absolute next purchase' to a 'probably never purchase'. I played both machines and couldn't hear the sound FX on either as the volume was set far too low. The sound is obviously a HUGE part of the experience on BSD and without it I was completely turned off.
The sound is critical for BSD. Such an atmospheric game, at times late at night I was genuinely creeped out playing it alone in my Shack.

A great game, though one I tired of sooner than others. Stacking the 3 multiball really is the only objective, and games become all or nothing affairs.

If you can own one for a time though I would say go for it.

The sound is critical for BSD. Such an atmospheric game, at times late at night I was genuinely creeped out playing it alone in my Shack.

A great game, though one I tired of sooner than others. Stacking the 3 multiball really is the only objective, and games become all or nothing affairs.

Yeah I don't want to write it off too soon. I really loved that game when we had it on hire in the office for a few weeks. The atmosphere really creeped me out and the difficulty was sublime. Probably the most generous ball save ever. That was a couple of years ago and I was surprised by how narrow and obscured the middle of the playfield felt. Definitely no longer on my non-lottery win list unfortunately.

Here here, BSD is not a game for the arcade, it is an atmospheric play in the dark machine - best played alone. Just you and the count ;-)

From the minute Dracula starts talking to you and mocking you, it's a real corker. Simple game but very cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here here, BSD is not a game for the arcade, it is an atmospheric play in the dark machine - best played alone. Just you and the count ;-)

From the minute Dracula starts talking to you and mocking you, it's a real corker. Simple game but very cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My spine is tingling just thinking about it.

Sleeping with light on tonight [emoji38]

The sound is a huge part of the game, but knowing it very well on Pinball Arcade I was forgiving it for that - but I will say that I was surprised how much I didn't like it with normal flippers. The game is built for the shorter lightning flippers, and while it's brutally hard for it, it really works for it. The scoring system you can take or leave, but it is also fair to say that it extremely weights multiball, and scoring Bats and Rats hard and early. It's also one of the few games I know where scoring a feature on ball 1 is paramount (Bats, Rats.) Personally I love that it makes it critical to score the features.

Just adding that I had a great time this weekend too, didn't do so well in the tournaments but I was happy with how well I did. It sure is nice being able to play a wide variety of tables, and it was usually easy to get on any of them.
Ones that I hadn't played before but enjoyed the most were: CFTBL, The Sopranos and Spider-Man, not sure why I hadn't played them before really!

Metallica was my favourite, along with Aliens and quite enjoyed Sopranos, Creech and Shadow. There were some very dark tables there, I think Judge Dredd was the worst one, couldn't see a thing on it besides not being able to hear much of any of the machines.

Also some strange lighting choices on some of them, not my cup of tea but each to their own.

The rumble on one of the Spiderman's was epic! I could feel it shaking the floor from the other side of the room!

EDIT: Many thanks to all the organisers and machine donors :thumbs:

Yeah I think all the GI and playfield lighting was out on that JD, it was completely unplayable in that dark room. A few of the machines in the other room were hard to play if they happened to be directly under a spotlight. Indiana Jones was difficult to play due to glare as were a few others.

Back
Top Bottom