What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Revenge from Mars - Newb takes on the Martians

The likely reason for the old one lifting is a combination of the damage under it and the posts holding it down being too tight (I had this on a WCS many years ago). I'd repair the damage on the left with some filler to give the new Cliffy something to sit on and then just put the new one on but don't over tighten the posts that hold it in place. If the damage is such that you can see it with the Cliffy on then you'll want to look at doing some touch up :thumbs:

Given it a light sand and smeared tiny amount of pva wood glue at the base to fill a crack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Am I the only person on here that spends more time looking for the tool I just put down than I do using feckin thing !!!

The new Cliffy in place - it still stands slightly proud but a better job than beforeuploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160508_9393d1851e46040585556418a8de6f8f.jpg

And the Cliffy that I recycled mounted in the trough area - fits better than the other one!uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160508_1d3f5024e4e90df98568ae310427af0b.jpg

A couple of plastics were splitting. Rather than buy new, I carefully glued and sprayed red. uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160508_14f9f8edd5f248812797ad3ed0825d1f.jpguploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160508_70ae72f5afce0dce115168682322bd63.jpg

That's the playfield done. All clean, corrosion removed and any areas of wear or potential wear sorted. The targets have had new foam pads - I'm hoping that they all work when the playfield goes back in.

The RFM is different from my TZ. The playfield has a lot less going on in it on the RFM. it's also a dream to sort the playfield because it pulls right out and goes on the work bench.
Some might say the RFM is different cos it's not a proper pinball machine ;-)

Next, is to take a look at the PC and CRT at the back. Totally new territory for me there - but for now it's beer time.

Yep ! That's what caused the cliffy to miss shape !
Make good the shape of the hole with 2 part filler /sand and then fit the cliffy :thumbs:

I decided to take a look inside the computer box. This is new to me. I've changed the one one battery. The other battery is harder to get at. The board will need to come out. Is it easy to remove/install ? Anything I need to know before I break something ?
Also, I bought a new fan which appears to just plug in. Not convinced it needs a new fan - I could be replacing a better fan with a cheaper one ?
The new fan sits on the power supply waiting for advice....uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160510_56de72a8ea81d1d0fc35b59aac36341a.jpg

I've googled the fans specs as below - any computer bods out there who can tell me if the replacement is suitable?: uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160510_e3403495dcd9f4d173cf9130ad460004.jpguploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160510_2f530cb7efb93dd2604e8690b23d7f34.jpg

And here is the selectable switch. Currently set to 115v. If I were to power up outside the machine I'm guessing that I would need to switch it to 230v? Don't worry chaps - I won't be doing it unless I'm sure.

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160510_e799cb0b2bbd2e8e8b0bc28d3f6af7b6.jpg

Don't adjust this! If you were plugging the computer directly in to your wall outlet then you would need to, but the output from the pinball's transformer is already 115v so leave it alone.

If I want to check if the new fan do I set it 230v if I want power up outside the machine ?

Many thanks guys and also to daveyd who posted a very helpful pic. The machine lives.

Brand new cpu fan and batteries sorted. I'll be sorting speaker grill, side rails and lock bar next. This shop log is a newb shop log people. It's going well and by that I mean it is showing that anyone new can sort their machine with some effort, some care and a lot of help from the pinball info community. Thanks again

The battery on the prism card is a piece of cake to change, you'll just have to buy the battery online somewhere as you can't find them in shops. It's a BR2325

The card pulls apart like this

imgur.com_In0fmC6.jpg

Yeah - although I said batteries I have only done the easy one. I already have the replacement battery for the prism board - I wasn't sure if it pulled apart - thanks for the heads up on that. I'll change it at the weekend.

Doing a great job here keep it coming!

As for the CPU and other fans, I found that as long as the voltage and mounting size was the same then any fan was generally ok. Most modern ones have a far higher air flow than the original, and they're quieter. So it's all good.

Take care with the PRISM card. It's the one piece of this game which is impossible (or VERY costly) to replace if you want to run it on all original hardware.

Found this sitting on the playfield today, the araldite and paint job failed to stop the crack. New plastic on order

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160516_bdddeb66b51de0f55c26e573ca0a8eab.jpg

Video amplifier fitted - thanks Davey D! The Reds look washed out in the pic but they are fine in reality

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160518_ebbca40b54c937190a6b4c4c06594e3d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom