What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Post your dogs!

All lined up to pick up my "new" boy from a friend on Saturday....... Been to visit 5/6 times...Deposit paid weeks ago... Got all the stuff ready (last time i had a pup was 7-8 years ago)...

View attachment 149422

Then had a message this afternoon. Last Vet checkup was today. Revealed a Heart Murmur (on a scale 1-6, 1/2 is tiny and not unusual for puppies and usually sorts itself, 3/4 isnt good... 5/6 is very serious).

Level 5.

Only one out of the litter to have any issues.

Friend is trying to get a refferal for an Echocardeograph, however unfortunately it's not looking good for the poor little Chap... or "Dave" as we were gonna call him (and has been called for weeks).

Not giving up home on him... Battle on little man...❤️

Sooooooooo incredibly depressed and gutted right now (Mainly for him, and possibly just a little for me) 😭😭
Oh no 🙁, as you said heart murmurs are generally benign in pups. My dog has one all her life and it always gets picked up on vet checkups.
She’s 13 now which is good innings for a GSP.
Hopefully the little one will be ok.
The level criteria can be open to interpretation.
Echocardiogram is best way forward to get a clearer diagnosis.

All lined up to pick up my "new" boy from a friend on Saturday....... Been to visit 5/6 times...Deposit paid weeks ago... Got all the stuff ready (last time i had a pup was 7-8 years ago)...

View attachment 149422

Then had a message this afternoon. Last Vet checkup was today. Revealed a Heart Murmur (on a scale 1-6, 1/2 is tiny and not unusual for puppies and usually sorts itself, 3/4 isnt good... 5/6 is very serious).

Level 5.

Only one out of the litter to have any issues.

Friend is trying to get a refferal for an Echocardeograph, however unfortunately it's not looking good for the poor little Chap... or "Dave" as we were gonna call him (and has been called for weeks).

Not giving up home on him... Battle on little man...❤️

Sooooooooo incredibly depressed and gutted right now (Mainly for him, and possibly just a little for me) 😭😭

After several discussions with the breeder, this happened......

pup2.jpg
pup1.jpg

They decided it would be in the best interests of the Dog if he stayed with them as their pet. Therefore we ended up with his sister instead!!!
(and then has followed a few nights of broken sleep and howling... as they do!)

Catching up. Pleased to hear the breeders will take care of Dave and you still got a bundle of love (=noises, smells, licks, nips and scratches) in your life.

Cheers to our Dougal Dog !

Attachments

• IMG_00000059.jpg
    IMG_00000059.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_00000230.jpg
    IMG_00000230.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_00000249.jpg
    IMG_00000249.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_00000095.jpg
    IMG_00000095.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_00000311_edit.jpg
    IMG_00000311_edit.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_00000318_edit.jpg
    IMG_00000318_edit.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_00000589.jpg
    IMG_00000589.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_00000339_edit.jpg
    IMG_00000339_edit.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_00000599.jpg
    IMG_00000599.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 15
  • 198.JPG
    198.JPG
    141.1 KB · Views: 14
  • P1010905.JPG
    P1010905.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 14
  • P1040902.JPG
    P1040902.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 15
  • P1040893.JPG
    P1040893.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 15
  • P1040876.JPG
    P1040876.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 15
  • P1040896.JPG
    P1040896.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 18
  • P1040900.JPG
    P1040900.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 18
  • P1040945.JPG
    P1040945.JPG
    116.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 110.JPG
    110.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 16
I've been thinking about getting the dogs neutered for a while now. What do you think? It's something I'd absolutely prefer not to do but when you're having to pull your nutcase dog off attacking a Cane Corso it starts to feel somewhat necessary.

I've been thinking about getting the dogs neutered for a while now. What do you think? It's something I'd absolutely prefer not to do but when you're having to pull your nutcase dog off attacking a Cane Corso it starts to feel somewhat necessary.
Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. I was told if you chop them off the dog might not not be as big or as powerfully built. When I had mine put down recently the vet told me this as he was pretty powerful and still intact.
My in-laws got their labradors nuts chopped off because they thought nobody would steal him then, WTF!

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. I was told if you chop them off the dog might not not be as big or as powerfully built. When I had mine put down recently the vet told me this as he was pretty powerful and still intact.
My in-laws got their labradors nuts chopped off because they thought nobody would steal him then, WTF!
Mine is mid size and won't get any bigger. He's pure muscle without the slightest bit of fat. In that regard he isn't going to change. But he is a massive handful when out. Just constantly on edge wanting to chase and kill anything that moves. That could be leaves, ducks, squirrels, seagulls and even aeroplanes. The Jack Russell Terrier Border Collie mix is too much dog.

Mine is mid size and won't get any bigger. He's pure muscle without the slightest bit of fat. In that regard he isn't going to change. But he is a massive handful when out. Just constantly on edge wanting to chase and kill anything that moves. That could be leaves, ducks, squirrels, seagulls and even aeroplanes. The Jack Russell Terrier Border Collie mix is too much dog.
Mine was the same, nearly 40kgs of pure muscle and a ‘crocodile’ mouth but hated most people as well. Went to the experts who could not help so had him put down before he killed someones dog or someone, a 10 year old boy was killed this week with a dog out of control. Glad I did it.
Was told cutting his balls off wouldn’t help and there was no way me or anyone could tend to him after anyway as he was very aggressive.
Training is the real way, I spent loads and tried for nearly 5 years but it couldn’t be done😔
Good luck as it’s not nice.

My old St Bernard Buster RIP and Dudley my lab that I had to give to my son as the Devil dog was trying to kill him, he is only 3 doors away from me and about 15 now!

Attachments

• 41BBDF92-D050-4D34-B8A4-B3BD9ECDADC6.jpeg
    41BBDF92-D050-4D34-B8A4-B3BD9ECDADC6.jpeg
    104.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 44141403-2133-4908-8F83-F69731387D81.jpeg
    44141403-2133-4908-8F83-F69731387D81.jpeg
    47.6 KB · Views: 17
  • C8E178A1-B74F-4C57-ADF9-C24D7D6C9D6C.jpeg
    C8E178A1-B74F-4C57-ADF9-C24D7D6C9D6C.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 17
Love St Bernards. ❤️ Even the drool is cool. I was trying to hold out for one but simply don’t have the space and way too many stairs I’m the house for their joints.

Love St Bernards. ❤️ Even the drool is cool. I was trying to hold out for one but simply don’t have the space and way too many stairs I’m the house for their joints.
Lovely dogs and mine lived outside in an outbuilding with a German shepherd then the lab, think he was about 7 when he died. Heartbreaking a dog that size as if it wasn’t bad enough with normal dogs. If you laid down he would automatically lay next to you keeping you warm.

Mine was the same, nearly 40kgs of pure muscle and a ‘crocodile’ mouth but hated most people as well. Went to the experts who could not help so had him put down before he killed someones dog or someone, a 10 year old boy was killed this week with a dog out of control. Glad I did it.
Was told cutting his balls off wouldn’t help and there was no way me or anyone could tend to him after anyway as he was very aggressive.
Training is the real way, I spent loads and tried for nearly 5 years but it couldn’t be done😔
Good luck as it’s not nice.
Ours absolutely loves people. He's constantly trying to get to complete strangers to say hello. If we are expecting visitors or going somewhere for the day with lots of people we have to sedate him as he gets massively over excited and can't calm down. We would never be able to leave him in a room with other people, not because he could become aggressive but because he just won't leave them alone and tries to jump up at them or climb on their lap. If we have family overto the house I have to keep him on a lead indoors for about 4hrs until he's settled down....otherwise it's like unleashing the Tazmanian Devil. A whirlwind of craziness. I did 3 or 4 months of dog training classes with him but it's made zero difference. I got the impression the dog trainer was relieved when I cancelled.

Ours absolutely loves people. He's constantly trying to get to complete strangers to say hello. If we are expecting visitors or going somewhere for the day with lots of people we have to sedate him as he gets massively over excited and can't calm down. We would never be able to leave him in a room with other people, not because he could become aggressive but because he just won't leave them alone and tries to jump up at them or climb on their lap. If we have family overto the house I have to keep him on a lead indoors for about 4hrs until he's settled down....otherwise it's like unleashing the Tazmanian Devil. A whirlwind of craziness. I did 3 or 4 months of dog training classes with him but it's made zero difference. I got the impression the dog trainer was relieved when I cancelled.
The first trainer I went to when Zeus (devil dog) was only 9 months old who was local and happens to be one of the best trainers in the UK did a consultation with me and wouldn’t take him on saying he wasn’t right and had strange reactions but they had never seen a Thai Ridgeback. They supply police/forces with dogs and also sent dogs to Africa for wildlife protection and have been in the BBC so really know their stuff and I should have listened to them at the start but im stubborn!

He then went off a few months later with another recommended training school for 3 weeks in house training, came out like a zombie and lost weight. He was ill for a few days and I’m sure they drugged him to keep him calm. His aggression after that ramped up to the point of me sometimes holding him back with a broom stick handle while he chomped on the end. He could just switch for no reason.

Contacted the original trainer who just turned their back on me, I took it personally so continued with him but our lives were basically ruined as we could never relax with him and nobody wanted to come in the house as everyone was scared of him. I got a lot of stick but had him from 9 weeks old so was tuff and I knew I couldn’t risk rehoming him.
He then went for me properly like he was the boss and that was that☹️

The other one that I bought for him hoping it would calm him down is amazing, ignores dogs out on walks, loves kids, no jumping, no pulling etc and never had any outside help with training but she came from top show dog pedigree so is in the genes and I think that’s half the battle.

Your dog might calm down with age hopefully or maybe getting his knackers chopped off, if it really is stressing you maybe try another trainer. One thing I have learnt is it’s not worth all the stress for a dog no matter how much you love it. Life is too short. I must have been mad trying for so long, actually everyone thought I had a screw loose🤯

Hope he calms down for you and it’s really good that he likes people👍

Sedation doesn’t sound good as that’s not teaching the dog anything.
When he’s going mental with excitement you should put him in a cage in the same room as you and your guests, once he calms down you open the cage door (may take hours but so be it). If he instantly shows high energy levels - straight back in the cage. If you repeat this constantly there will be a moment where the dog realises he must do something differently to stay out the cage. Another trick that worked with mine is NEVER come through the front door and great the dog first, simply ignore him, shoes off etc, kettle on and only then say his name and great him - he’ll learn that attention is on your terms and not his.

Back
Top Bottom