What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinshed Build

I couldn't organise a p@@ up in a brewery.

My cinema club opens the night before. What could possibly go wrong ?

@carl lawrence , do you reckon you could arrive about an hour early so we can get 11 games out of the house. All need the head removing or sharks-finnning. Fish tales is in the garage so we can just sack barrow that one out.

Piece of p@@@

Haha, at least your pinshed is nearly finished... I've got to start mine yet and my league meet is only 5 months away.

Its looking good David, I bet you'll be glad when it's all done and dusted so you can just enjoy playing pinball in there though.

I couldn't organise a p@@ up in a brewery.

My cinema club opens the night before. What could possibly go wrong ?

@carl lawrence , do you reckon you could arrive about an hour early so we can get 11 games out of the house. All need the head removing or sharks-finnning. Fish tales is in the garage so we can just sack barrow that one out.

Piece of p@@@
If Catherine is having a good day , I will be there :thumbs:

I think the end is in sight.

I have fitted the mdf skirting and door frames. Caulked the gaps. Sealed the frames. Gloss painted the stuff. Oiled the oak pocket door....

This is the office side of the door

20180207_165432.jpg 20180207_165417.jpg

Fish tales was first to go in. And fired up first time.....

20180207_165408.jpg

The sink is being plumbed in next week, a pro will do a better job than me as space in the cupboard under the sink for the electric water heater is tight.

My shutter for the French doors arrives next week.

I will also install the storage heater when I have more games in place do so I can position it accurately. Banzai has a narrow backbox. The classic ballys need less length to remove their playfield glass ....

Then the inside should finally all be done

Well the dreaded day has arrived. The migration of the system 11, WPC and JJP titles from inside my house.

The classic ballys are a doddle in comparison as the heads slide off and you only need to replace about 8 connectors. They were designed to be easily moved

15181046471551723975478.jpg

Whirly was first up. I was going to remove the head but it is surprisingly complex. It actually looks worse than early wpc titles like fishy and Funhouse...
20180208_113126.jpg

So I went for the shark fin ...

20180208_115944.jpg

The door has to come off, even to get a cab through on my hydraulic truck

Then about 1 inch of clearance here ...
1518102687103465177998.jpg
20180208_120724.jpg
4 steps/ thresholds to negotiate ....

20180208_124213.jpg

20180208_124223.jpg
'er indoors ventured outside to stabilise and push from the back ...
20180208_124232.jpg

Banzai and twilight zone will be hellish to move. Classic examples of jobs that you really ought to get some other c+nt to do

IMG_20180208_1504243.jpg IMG_20180208_1504176.jpg

This lot to go ....

IMG_20180208_1516127.jpg

Then another door has to come off to get at these ones ..

IMG_20180208_1516456.jpg

Last edited:
Whilst I'll hate it I can't wait to be in the place where I can move my machines back in, Not being able to play them is killing me!

David, get yourself a folding wheelchair ramp. Mine cost about £35 off Ebay and I've used it LOADS of times for getting pins in and out over steps etc.

There you go.. a fair bit shorter than mine though so may make your inclines steep?

I will drag in some support from my mates in the village for banzai and twilight zone. The missus and I can shift the rest.

Centaur failed today. This really is a salutary lesson. It had too few cable supports in the backbox so gravity was pulling down on the mpu connectors. But it worked

So today I treated it to some new supports to take the weight off the board.

Then the damned thing would not work ! It transpired that the connector had a dodgy join. This took out a switch row, including trough switches. These old Ballys go into lock down if they think there are too few balls in them.

Never, ever mess with a working pinball

I am happy to play other people's sterns. I think that Stern has the best flipper mech in pinball. I love playing stuff like acdc, iron man, Sopranos. Great games, but they are not for me to own .

Classic Ballys have a unique charm. Amazing build. The artwork is the best in pinball. The drop targets alone are stupendously, ridiculously over engineered. They make 1980s Mercedes look cheap. The rest of a classic Bally is over engineered like you cannot believe. True works of art. Like a lambo miura - but one that works. Special .Built with love

The system 11s and wpc are the highpoint of pinball playing in my opinion. They do not have the beauty of Classic Ballys .But they are what I grew up on. I am not interested in 30 minute games, or tournaments getting bottle-necked on a long play spiderman.

My stern world poker tour had some poor build issues. It had a horrendous viral fault, destroying all the optos within seconds. Noone on the forum wanted to buy it, even at massive discount. Noone wants to mend the boards. You buy new ones and chuck the faulty ones .Surface mount components everywhere. Having been to two experts we traced the fault to a drop target reset bar rubbing on the wiring loom, appalling design. When I saw the way it was built, I knew I had to sell it.

Given this and the dot matrix art, node boards, fan layouts, questionable code .. it put me right off owning Sterns.

Very happy to play other people's, but I do not want to own one.

When you see a game fry about 10 pairs of optos in 30 seconds. You replace them, it does it again, noone will buy it, noone wants to fix the boards, it leaves an impression.

Very happy to play other people's, but I do not want to own one.

When you see a game fry about 10 pairs of optos in 30 seconds. You replace them, it does it again, noone will buy it, noone wants to fix the boards, it leaves an impression.
That seems very unlucky and can't remember ever reading about a fault like that here or or pinside.
Yes, Stern's aren't built like the 90's B/W's but they have produced some amazing games in the last 5 years or so.
As for over engineered, the Gottlieb woodrails were built to last 100 plus years!! Although David Gottlieb said if he knew how long they were going to last he would have reduced the BOM.

The heater is now in. I know that this is a luddite option compared to the other ones that are available these days. Heavy bricks, this thing weighs about 109kg. Mechanical time clock. Bimetallic strip type technology. A 1970s product really..

IMG_20180210_0914175.jpg

But
  • There are millions of these in the UK .They have stood the test of time. So many modern products break down within a couple of years .Noone can fix them. They are full of electronics ..
  • They charge at night, use no daytime electricity so you preserve your electrical capacity for other devices. We have no gas in my village so rely on electricity more than most
  • In a well insulated room, they do the job. DO NOT use them in poorly insulated placed. They are crap in such an environment - hot in the morning, cold at night
  • On an economy 7 electricity plan, they are quite economical.
  • North Koreans cannot hack into your bank account using this heater .
IMG_20180210_1920427.jpg

All in for now. My God, dialed in is heavy.

IMG_20180211_1624052.jpg

Scared Stiff is in pieces as I am doing a cab swap, but that should be done within a week or so.

Calling @ronsplooter . Calling @ronsplooter. Your play testing services are required .

David, get yourself a folding wheelchair ramp. Mine cost about £35 off Ebay and I've used it LOADS of times for getting pins in and out over steps etc.

I never thought of that, My Mum is in a wheelchair these days and I’ve got two sets of ramps to get her up a flight of garden steps. They work really well but for some reason I’d never thought of using them for moving pinballs.

I never thought of that, My Mum is in a wheelchair these days and I’ve got two sets of ramps to get her up a flight of garden steps. They work really well but for some reason I’d never thought of using them for moving pinballs.
I would suggest pinching them when she is in her house and not trundling round her garden...

I’m pretty sure I have a spare folding wheelchair ramp (like the one in the photo above but longer) in my shed if anyone wants to come and collect it, in return for a small donation to charity...

Back
Top Bottom