What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinshack new build.

taz turbo

Site Supporter
Alias
Chris Tierney
So folks, for some time now my new build has been on the cards, the button has finally been pushed...

The existing area is just too small at 3.7M x 4.9M and to compound the pain it's in a conservatory, heating is on for 6 months of the year as winter time it can get ridiculously cold in there and it's to light to use in the daytime. At the moment it looking like a store room in there...

thumbnail (2).jpgthumbnail (6).jpgthumbnail (5).jpg

Then there's the overspill area, thats my RS that's tombstoned...

thumbnail (1).jpg

And a second Sega Rally 2 twin!

thumbnail.jpg

These ones all work, but never used, which really pains me not to play and enjoy the Rotation VIII, where they are is a workshop I rent about 2 miles from my house, it's heated and dehumidified so no concerns for their well being, but I really want them all together, why wouldn't you.

I have (had, more later on have) a garage at my house, but its a 1920's single garage so think Austin 7 size, like this, minus the shed/playhouse...

thumbnail (4).jpg

So the plan is a new build, that will cover the existing footprint of the original garage, project about 800mm further forwards, pretty much to the back of the garden, and wider, as per this draft plan...

Screenshot (6).png

This will give me a building of 20M long, 4.5M for the front 10M and widening to 6M for the back 10M, the plan being to have an internal stud wall to give the front area as a garage and the rear as the games cave, no fixed decision on the split as yet but likely to be about 50:50, so around 10M long, which should be more than enough space (for now...)

After a stalled start due to CV19, work has finally commenced, initially demolition by myself as I was shocked on the prices to take down the old garage, £1800 from one and £3600 from another, Myself and taz turbo jnr. felled the garage, 3-4 tip runs of timber and a local reclamation guy came and took away the bricks and tiles, child labour is much better, less legislation and much cheaper!

thumbnail (3).jpg

The building plot is now emptied.

thumbnail (7).jpg

The builders came Wednesday for the first visit to work, planning regulations insist all surface water from the roof need to go to a land drain (soak away), its sand here so all the digging is very easy and the soak away was inspected by the council building inspector along with the tapping into the main drain for the cave toilet, all good so far.

Builders return next week to take down the garden wall as the wall of the new building sits on the boundary wall, then the dig for the footings...

More to come in time, but I fear this isn't going to be quick.

All the best,

Chris.

Did you get planning for that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Did you get planning for that?

Yes, planning permission accepted.

It was originally supposed to be permitted development, or so the 'architects' told me, then they looked into it and told me as its built on a boundary wall, over a certain floor area and over a certain height, I'll have to make smaller/lower and away from the boundary, so no alternative than to get planning permission, that side of it was fairly easy and not so costly, very long wait though as the planning department were rammed with work and short staffed.

All accepted, no amendments required, HAPPY.

Chris.

Looks like it going to be a fantastic games room . :thumbs:

Ps. Wish we had your council policy we would never get away with building on the boundary line and having the gutter over the boundary you lucky lad :)

Wish we had your council policy we would never get away with building on the boundary line and having the gutter over the boundary you lucky lad :)

One of the reasons the planning was accepted was the neighbours garden it will share the boundary with is enormous, then some, so the planning department quoted it will have no effect to them.

Pleased to say I also get on with them really well, they were more than happy to sign the party wall agreement. Less stress, always good.

Chris.

Looks nice wish I had that space.

With the neighbors on side it always helps.

People are always surprised visiting mine that my garage that needed full planning but my full size extension didn't. Neighbor consent.

Attachments

• DJI_0027.JPG
    DJI_0027.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 107
Pleased to report some more progress....

The existing boundary wall is gone, seems whoever mixed the sand cement in 1927 may of got the sand and cement ratios mixed up! It was a bit of a pig apparently.

thumbnail 8.jpg

Digger and dumper arrived today and the guys commenced digging out the remains of the old garage floor and then moved onto the tree roots, lots of tree roots.

thumbnail (8).jpg

The grab lift lorry was tied up on another job so only arrived mid afternoon, taking one load of around 15T, two more loads planned for tomorrow and a further one on Thursday (hopefully)

thumbnail (9).jpg

Regards to all,

Chris.

More progress 😁

The builder boys have been continuing with the digger and dumper, 4 grab lift lorries later and 60 tonnes of mainly sand is gone, that’s a lot of dust dry sand!

715EDF10-9C95-4CE8-A07C-9747F55E4DD6.jpeg

They return next week to dig out the footings for the walls and shutter it up, its so dry and dusty it’s just going to cave in without the shuttering.

It’s looking rather large!

Still happy 👍

Looks like it going to be a fantastic games room . :thumbs:

Ps. Wish we had your council policy we would never get away with building on the boundary line and having the gutter over the boundary you lucky lad :)

yeah that doesn't surprise me, when you get close to the boundary what you can do without planning is very limited

Also two Sega Rally 2s!

Yep, 2 SR2 twins, bought the second one as a project machine from a guy I know, problem is it’s now sorted and don’t know what to do with it. I don’t have three friends 🤣 so a 4 player SR2 seems a bit daft and taking up precious pin space! Sell it on, but it’s sadly probably worth more in bits, some of the SEGA model 3 step 2 parts are getting a bit thin on the ground now.

Decisions, decisions and first world problems!

Chris.

Would happily play with! Though I really prefer the first one 😛
I'm aware you end up needing quite a few spare parts for Model 2/3 hardware, hence the value of them.

Re the model 3 parts, I bought a full and working SR2 stack last week, happy with that :cool:

The build continues, the footings have now also been dug out, the council building inspector has approved them and concrete is being poured tomorrow....

Chris.

Footings were poured and all good.

Steel work now in position, I'm giving it the final positional check next week and bolting it down.

View from the front.

steel front.jpg

View from the back.

steel back.jpg

Yesterday there were high winds, not much better today, lots of sand shifted, the steel work is actually on the footings not the sand.

Another grab wagon comes on Tuesday and will be taking away more material as the first 60 tons wasn't quite enough :oops:

So next milestone is the walls up to floor level and then work on the floor can commence, hopefully then there be less sand blowing about.

Chris.

The thing is, no matter how big you build it, it's never going to be big enough .

OMG is it me but that looks massive :thumbs:

See replicas above quote! :)

Was originally going to be split front 12M for garage and rear 8M for games room, but since thinking this out, 12M wouldn't get 3 cars in (only 2 to fit in there anyway 1@ 4.3M and 1 @ 4.0M), so now probably (almost certainly) going to be a 10M/10M split, could of made it longer in total, but like the fact I can get 3 cars on my driveway and get any one out without moving others. But also concerned 10M x 6M games room may not be big enough, first world problems.

Immanent job it to plan the layout on paper to get the definitive position of the doors into the games room, bar and position of toilet.

Regards,

Chrsi.

This is going to be incredible and looks as if it will end up being bigger than my whole flat 😂 Love seeing these pinroom builds

Update...

Steel work now bolted in final position, remainder spoil taken away by grab lift and walls now up to floor level.

thumbnail (10).jpg

Bit of a flap as the garage door opening was looking a little narrow, just deceptive, as car is just under 2.0M wide and door is just over 2.5M wide, so all good.

Bob the builder is back on Monday to make a start on the floor, also a visit from the building inspector. Hoping they start pouring the floor Tuesday or Wednesday, its in four sections with expansion joints so will be over at least two days anyway.

Now why do I keep looking at more machines! :)

Take care all,

Chris.

You're going to need a few more machines to fill it.
Looking really good. Very jealous.

Small update folks, Floor is now in...

View from front

thumbnail (11).jpg

View from rear

thumbnail (12).jpg

Missing gutter fitted to neighbours garage, downpipe still to fit, don't want water running where it shouldn't be.

Bricklayer starts this week, Wednesday I believe, getting a bit excited.....

All the best everyone,

Chris.

Update...

Good news was the bricklayer arrived Monday and did the full week, happy with that! All brick now laid, which is the outer leaf of the party wall and will continue with the blockwork next Monday, which is all inner leaves and outer everywhere except the party wall. Should see big progress this time next week, hopefully!

Also painted the rest of the steelwork, apparently it didn't need to be, but it would always be nagging me!

thumbnail(13).jpg

Chris.

Update...

Brickies have continued this week, rained of yesterday (Thursday) and only half a day today as the afternoon was a wash out, but progress looks good.

From just beyond half way point looking forwards
thumbnail (14).jpg

From back looking forwards
thumbnail (15).jpg

From front looking backwards
thumbnail (16).jpg

I like this detail, a Hilti gun that fires wall ties through the steel work, basically a nail firing through 6mm steel :oops:
thumbnail (17).jpg

Bob the builder (his name actually is Robert, so it fits) is here tomorrow to measure up and confirm for the windows and doors. Brickklayer and his mate are back on Monday, weather permitting all brick/block should be finished next week, hoping next weeks update will be a good one.

All the best everybody,

Chris.

Back
Top Bottom