What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinball heat warning...???

Ashbo

Site Supporter
Alias
Ash
With all the red heat warnings on the news, should we be doing anything to protect our beloved pins? Remove glass? Foil over the plastics? Refrain from playing ? In all serious, the heat can't be good surely?

When everyone goes to Florida or Vegas for holidays do they think they are going in the lions den?
The news reporters talking like it’s an earthquake or Tornado coming.
Peeps complaining we always get crap weather then when we eventually get some, …’OMG we are all going to get heat stroke and die’

Another question, how do I stop my expensive lurpak melting with all this heat outside?
Lol..

When everyone goes to Florida or Vegas for holidays do they think they are going in the lions den?
Peeps complaining we always get crap weather then when we eventually get some, …’OMG we are all going to get heat stroke and die’

Another question, how do I stop my expensive lurpak melting with all this heat outside?
Lol..
Re: lurpak....just eat it before it gets too hot. Mmmmm

Lol..
The difference being (apart from humidity) is the fact that when we go to Florida, or any other hot destination, we are on holiday. We can take it easy, sit in the shade, have a dip in the pool, etc. etc. whereas now the majority are working and going about their normal lives.

There is also the issue of infrastructure. Going on holiday to a hot destination generally means that the aircon is fit for purpose - again, the vast majority simply don't have that kind of cooling system for the simple reason that it's not needed 99% of the time.

Take the heat warnings seriously, it's not just scare tactics and sensationalism. By far the most important advice is drink plenty of water, and keep drinking it.

Sorry but IMO it’s a load of tosh from the media, they’re must be short of drivel to report!

I regularly work out in the Middle East, 45 degrees outside isn’t uncommon, in the NON AC factory it’s hotter still! I haven’t died yet! It’s hot, it’s unpleasant, but life hasn’t stopped AND the world keeps turning. I only spend a couple of weeks at a time, for the staff in these places it’s just the norm.

Anyway, back in my games room the AC has been set to a very comfortable 21 degrees, played more pinball in the last week than I have in weeks prior.

Enjoy the weather, keep hydrated and play pinball 😎

Chris.

The difference being (apart from humidity) is the fact that when we go to Florida, or any other hot destination, we are on holiday. We can take it easy, sit in the shade, have a dip in the pool, etc. etc. whereas now the majority are working and going about their normal lives.

There is also the issue of infrastructure. Going on holiday to a hot destination generally means that the aircon is fit for purpose - again, the vast majority simply don't have that kind of cooling system for the simple reason that it's not needed 99% of the time.

Take the heat warnings seriously, it's not just scare tactics and sensationalism. By far the most important advice is drink plenty of water, and keep drinking it.
Mid 1970s heatwaves were great.
Boatloads of Aircon around in the UK then, especially in our cars…lol A simple fan works great for cooling you down.
All kids including myself were out enjoying the sun, all day, everyday. When thirsty, we got an ice pole or a drink of water.
Vegas has extremely low humidity, it’s a desert.
Ain’t all tourists there, people do work too.
Construction workers in Vegas, all throughout the day.
But yes, drink loads of water and wear a hat 👍

580B316E-78F0-4EAE-8D18-0DD6F0BF5D7E.jpeg

Mid 1970s heatwaves were great.
Boatloads of Aircon around in the UK then, especially in our cars…lol A simple fan works great for cooling you down.
All kids including myself were out enjoying the sun, all day, everyday. When thirsty, we got an ice pole or a drink of water.
Vegas has extremely low humidity, it’s a desert.
Ain’t all tourists there, people do work too.
Construction workers in Vegas, all throughout the day.
But yes, drink loads of water and wear a hat 👍

View attachment 175947

I saw this image get torn apart on Twitter last night. Think it might be boll0cks see here;

Agree with the difference between holiday and working. My job pretty much involves working outside in the warm weather and indoors when it's cold and wet. A lot of my colleagues are working a show today in Builth Wells which I have previously done. The sun is on you from the start of the day right up until around 17:00, standing in this heat for 8 hours is seriously not good. I used an umbrella over the weekend and it really made a difference. Also everyone is different, personally I don't sweat much at all but I still find the heat very uncomfortable. By the way I'm now off work until a week Wednesday 😁

It's not even comparable to going somewhere hot on holiday. These kind of temperatures are just well outside the normal range we see here. That means infrastructure such as bridges, rails and so on buckling. Roads melting and so on. Much like when it rarely gets snowy/icy in Vegas it causes problems with uninsulated water pipes freezing and so on - because although here it would be normal, there it is not.

Also, dry heat is different to humid heat.
My friend who served in Iraq told me it was regularly 50c over there but our 30c is way more uncomfortable, even considering all the gear he had to wear in Iraq.

Humidity really changes things.

At work so far I've seen warped rails and smouldering sleepers that are burning.

You would pay £1000 to have a weeks worth of weather like this abroad.
We survuved 1976, as we did drink lots of water, wear hats but had NO AC.

Sunlight anytime is the worse thing for a pin. I once went to TAF and you couldnt get it down the ramp as it was buckled with heat in a conservatory.

Put a towel over the glass and leave it turned off in the daytime.

People moan about the heat in the summer, then moan about the cold in the winter.

When you get your gas bill in at the end of the year you will wish it was like this more, than having to have the heating on.

Stop winging. Get on with it. Drink water. Turn off the media. Put on fans or AC if you are lucky enough to have it.

We survuved 1976, as we did drink lots of water, wear hats but had NO AC.
The absolute MAXIMUM that 1976 got was 35.9', the issue was it lasted for so long without any rain, forcing the creation of the Drought Act - we're likely to push 40' today or tomorrow. Chalk and Cheese.

People moan about the heat in the summer, then moan about the cold in the winter.

I hear this an awful lot but in my experience they're not the same people moaning about both.

I know plenty who moan when it's really cold and they're the ones who are out at the park with a beer right now.

My business partner has pretty much stopped working because he can't handle the heat but walks around in a T-shirt in November calling us all pussies.

The absolute MAXIMUM that 1976 got was 35.9', the issue was it lasted for so long without any rain, forcing the creation of the Drought Act - we're likely to push 40' today or tomorrow. Chalk and Cheese.

My car hit 38.5C on the drive home from work, and it's mostly shaded country roads.
I think tomorrow is due to be worse

How we measure air temperature​

A platinum resistance thermometer (PRT) is used for the measurement of air temperature at all synoptic stations and all supplementary stations that employ an automatic system. The thermometer is exposed in a Stevenson screen at a height of 1.25 m above the ground and aspirated only by natural ventilation through the side louvers. Below you can see an image that shows the arrangement of thermometers in the screen. Two PRTs, one for operational use and one for backup, may be seen at the end of the looping black cables.

stevenson-screen_small.jpg

In addition, there are four liquid-in-glass thermometers in the screen that are used solely for check readings. Temperature measured by a PRT is related to the resistance of the instrument's platinum wire, measured by means of high precision electrical equipment usually located close to the screen.

The thermometer is calibrated every eight years providing traceability to the national temperature standard. The long period between calibrations is justified by the excellent stability demonstrated by PRT instruments.

1658154009477.png

Attachments

• 1658153996439.png
    1658153996439.png
    144.5 KB · Views: 2
Agree with the difference between holiday and working. My job pretty much involves working outside in the warm weather and indoors when it's cold and wet. A lot of my colleagues are working a show today in Builth Wells which I have previously done. The sun is on you from the start of the day right up until around 17:00, standing in this heat for 8 hours is seriously not good. I used an umbrella over the weekend and it really made a difference. Also everyone is different, personally I don't sweat much at all but I still find the heat very uncomfortable. By the way I'm now off work until a week Wednesday 😁
Wonder if Andrew Windsor is sweating today 😉

After spending the day in a 1970s building with no working aircon and fixed windows I figured I’d have a lie down on the tiles in the kitchen at home to cool down.
Worked a treat until the dog decided to join me and now I have a very hairy dog lying on top of me. 🤬

After spending the day in a 1970s building with no working aircon and fixed windows I figured I’d have a lie down on the tiles in the kitchen at home to cool down.
Worked a treat until the dog decided to join me and now I have a very hairy dog lying on top of me. 🤬
True, happened to me too ...

Back
Top Bottom