What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Longer Available PIN2DMD - 3rd round Group Buy Due Sept 5th 2020

Just throwing it in, but for Sam and Spike machines it's recommended to use Pinball Browser to colour, https://pin2dmd.com/pinball-browser/ it's a different perhaps easier approach that modifies the frames from the Rom rather than working from recordings.

I have no real experience of these, perhaps somebody can confirm if Pin2DMD Editor can still be used for basic palette changes etc

No knowledge from me on this @astyy - so would be interested to hear of any experience.

My assumption is that the custom palette approach would work - be good to know from anyone that has the ability to test.

Last edited:
Couldn't resist a tinker with Congo, not familiar with the movie but seems to be this colour vibe. (Credit to @slippifishi for use of his top tip dithering method.)
For reference this scene is nearly 200 frames.

Congo Splash.gif

Mate don't wanna step on any toes, but you're definitely giving the other version a run for it's money!

congotitle2.gif.250a135abc9af0e52fc550ed2aa574f6.gif

keep it up!

Attachments

• 1593172355077.png
    1593172355077.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 17
keep it up!
Ha thx, to keep things original I don't look at the alternatives but that scene is lifted straight from the DVD cover so was bound to be similar.

For me, Step 2 with an uncoloured game (Step 1 being set a decent default pallet) is to colour the score scene as this is visible a lot of the time so might as well go multicolour day 1 as it's easy. So from screen 1 to screen 2 below.

After that can play away and pick on the common scenes (ball launch, drain, game over) and colour as you can be bothered.

Hopefully within time one of the decent artists would have covered your game for a few beer tokens. There seems to be a lot of skillful work adapting the colouring to work reliably on "real" pinball.

1593174337235.png

1593174403110.png

Hey, the green with Congo looks really good! Would love to add that!

I got one of mine from a seller that recieved it on may30th from group buy (has an invoice with your name on it)

Hey, the green with Congo looks really good! Would love to add that!
You can set a "greens" default palette using the onscreen menu buttons on the back of the Pin2DMD (ref. 3.The onscreen menu at pin2dmd.com). However, if it's the same palette as in the editor the darkest Green needs brightening as it's almost discernible from black. You'll know as it'll look like below when set. I can email you some files for your SD card to try if you don't want to muck with the editor.

Default Green Palette in Editor
1593242338954.png

Tweaked Green Palette in Editor
1593242472105.png

You can set a "greens" default palette using the onscreen menu buttons on the back of the Pin2DMD (ref. 3.The onscreen menu at pin2dmd.com). However, if it's the same palette as in the editor the darkest Green needs brightening as it's almost discernible from black. You'll know as it'll look like below when set. I can email you some files for your SD card to try if you don't want to muck with the editor.

Default Green Palette in Editor
View attachment 111758

Tweaked Green Palette in Editor
View attachment 111759

That would be very kind of you if you can?
I use a Mac, does that matter?

That would be very kind of you if you can?
I use a Mac, does that matter?
Yes no probs PM me ur email, it's just 1 file on SD to set a new palette. I tested it yesterday on my Pin2DMD, I may write up the steps in a new thread as other new owners may benefit.

Quick update - almost at the target volumes. Need a further demand for 5 more Standard size DMD, and 3 more XL.

To update on price:
50 x EVO128X32 (Standard) = £145.00 each inc VAT
5 x EVO192X64 (XL) = £199.00 each inc VAT

Thanks
Mike

What’s the usually turn around time on these Mike? Obviously once you have ordered everything?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Normally 2-3 weeks from order date. Everything is ready to go once we get a few more interested members.

Cheers
Mike

Quick update folks - I’ve placed the order and will have an ETA once wired funds are received.

I have a couple extra for those stragglers, and one extra XL. First come first served.

Will contact those who registered interest shortly for shipping and contact details.

Thanks

Mike

Hello all - sorry for the radio silience - and thanks to those who have been in touch.

A quick update on the current status - looks like a few items for the Standard version build took a while to arrive in stock at PCBWay, the XL version have been complete for over a week.

Looking at progress as of today - the standard are now in Surface Mount fabrication, so last major step before Inspection and shipping.

I'll update again when the product has been shipped from PCBWay in China.

Best

Mike
Screenshot 2020-08-14 at 11.31.27.png

Hi Mike,
I replied to your message a few moons ago about wanting one, but how and when do I pay? Not had any info since the last confirmation message

Hi Mike,
I replied to your message a few moons ago about wanting one, but how and when do I pay? Not had any info since the last confirmation message

I have sent VAT invoices to all, which includes payment instructions. I see yours has not been viewed, so maybe have an incorrect email for you? Can you PM me your email address?

Cheers
Mike

Well - with a bit of too'ing and fro'ing there is now a surplus from the current group buy - so these displays will be made available to forum members first, and if any left I'll advertise them on eBay to recoup my cash.

Currently
1 x 192x64 (XL size - Sega type) display left at £199 inc VAT plus shipping (£8 UK)

I will leave them for sale here for 2 weeks and then move to eBay (at a much higher cost to cover eBay and PayPal fees). Please let me know if you'd like any of them.

Thanks
Mike

Last edited:
Hey Mike, does the standard Bally Williams do DE as well?

It depends on the machine - for example Lethal Weapon does take the Standard EVO board I believe.

Others like Batman and Hook need a ROM socket so need the Slim version of the EVO board (none of those in this group buy unfortunatley) - to take the ROM from the original display. @astyy is a bit of a DE PIN2DMD expert, maybe he has better info

Any Data East that takes a normal DMD can take a PIN2DMD. You still need the large PCB that is piggy backed onto the back of the old DMD (the one with the ERPOMS in).

So Star Wars, Lethal Weapon etc take a pin2dmd evo (you must set it to DATA EAST and turn the enhancer OFF).

Back
Top Bottom