What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pin cars

Has anyone tried a 5 series estate or an x5?
I used to own an e61 5 series estate and it was about an inch or 2 short on height to fit a machine in one piece. I transported many machines home in it but had to completely remove the heads to do so. Consequently although they are great cars I don't recomend them for pinball moving!

An X5 will have no trouble transporting a pinball in one piece, but then you'd be stuck driving an X5 the rest of the time so I don't recommend that either! :p:rofl:

yeah agree on X5. I also had E61. F10 is not a lot bigger. I don't own these cars but can borrow them whenever i need too, but to be honest I think a van is a safer bet to some extent.

Yea vans are definitely the way forward, my current pin mover is a transit which could eat half a dozen machines at a time no worries. If you can borrow an X5 whenever then you'll have no worries moving a machine at a time though.

Anyone know if you can get a pin in a volvo xc60? Thinking about getting one of these in January.

The fact is has no boot lip is appealing but not sure if the boot is big enough / long enough for a pin.

Anyone know if you can get a pin in a volvo xc60? Thinking about getting one of these in January.

The fact is has no boot lip is appealing but not sure if the boot is big enough / long enough for a pin.
Pete the boot opening height is the key one and it's 29.5" on the xc60 - you normally need 30" so it should go in but will be tight!!!

Cheers

kev

Getting an EM in an XC60 is no problem

Getting a B/W in is easy - but you need to unbolt the hinges of the back box and slide it down about 6 inches. Then the pin will go in easily

Getting a modern Stern in is almost impossible. Even if you slide the back box down the body of the machine it won't fit unless you push very hard indeed, damaging the boot trim and possibly the back box too. I managed it once but would not do it again.

Lengthwise there is no problem - all these pins fit in with a little space to spare

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Getting an EM in an XC60 is no problem

Getting a B/W in is easy - but you need to unbolt the hinges of the back box and slide it down about 6 inches. Then the pin will go in easily

Getting a modern Stern in is almost impossible. Even if you slide the back box down the body of the machine it won't fit unless you push very hard indeed, damaging the boot trim and possibly the back box too. I managed it once but would not do it again.

Lengthwise there is no problem - all these pins fit in with a little space to spare

Hope that helps!
yeah Mfresh I have the same problem having to unbolt the heads on B/W machines - which I find a PITA !!! I have a Pug 2008 crossover for reference here.

I am looking for a car now that will take one without taking the head off !!! C3 picasso may be a choice - not pretty but very practical - 2 height floor and 31" boot opening

Cheers

kev

Urgh. Forget that then. I ain't unbolting diddly squat.

I'm more a sporty 2 door coupe type car person. Was after an Audi A5 and the only reason I was considering going over to an SUV was for moving pins, but the only one I like is the XC60. It's reasonanly snappy and has that aggressive sporty look.

Thanks for your help chaps. :)

Q7 has to be the ultimate pin transporter. No I don't own one...just too ridiculous. Thinking about an E Class Estate which would be perfect for pins, kids pushchairs, mountain bikes etc. But then the CLS Shooting Brake looks bloody tempting. Too tempting.

I cannot believe pins will comfortably go in the back of most estate cars but not in an XC60 SUV. Crazy world we live in.

So can anyone recommend a nice looking SUV that doesn't require dismantling a pin, and also isn't insanely priced?

Not really an SUV but since you were originally after an A5 what about an A6 Allroad?

Just had a look. The A6 All Road is a nice looking car but I think I'd prefer an SUV.

Gonna go car shopping on saturday. Think I'll be taking a tape measure with me haha.

yeah Mfresh I have the same problem having to unbolt the heads on B/W machines - which I find a PITA !!! I have a Pug 2008 crossover for reference here.

I am looking for a car now that will take one without taking the head off !!! C3 picasso may be a choice - not pretty but very practical - 2 height floor and 31" boot opening

Cheers

kev

Unbolting the head is a great way to damage the game in transit too - I've damaged cabinets having to do this - never again :(

Just had a look. The A6 All Road is a nice looking car but I think I'd prefer an SUV.

Gonna go car shopping on saturday. Think I'll be taking a tape measure with me haha.

I don't think the A6 will work @PeteB , unless the body shape is different in the All Road versus standard A6 Avant. My Avant (2013 model) has a 28.5 high opening - so basically hopeless as a pin car as far as I know.

I don't think the A6 will work @PeteB , unless the body shape is different in the All Road versus standard A6 Avant. My Avant (2013 model) has a 28.5 high opening - so basically hopeless as a pin car as far as I know.

Wow, I'm really surprised by that. Boot looks cavernous on the A6!

Wow, I'm really surprised by that. Boot looks cavernous on the A6!

So was I when I was sat outside Moose's house and realized the pin he'd offered to lend me wouldn't fit in it :( It's the slope of the roof that's the problem - it's deeper inside the boot, but slopes down to the opening.

Mitsubishi Shogun's are pretty nice and practical. Thats currently top of my list of SUV's. But I think I will end up with an E Class 7 seater as much as I do love the CLS Shooting Brake.

I currently have a Shogun and it's fitted everything bar a Gott System 3 without removing the Head. Anyone tried a Rover 75 Estate?

I cannot believe pins will comfortably go in the back of most estate cars but not in an XC60 SUV. Crazy world we live in.

So can anyone recommend a nice looking SUV that doesn't require dismantling a pin, and also isn't insanely priced?

uploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20161217_dfcf8b733662be16107a3705662ffef8.jpg

This one will take a pinball machine - Mazda CX5

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i had someone buy some cocktail tables off of me and turned up in a kia santa fe, the space it has is pretty impressive and we got 3 midway cocktail tables in it. downside is that its a kia but for moving pins I'd have thought perfect.

Hahaha I remember once buying a sitdown (cocktail?) galaxians and picked it up in the boot of a Mk1 Cortina and drove it home with the boot open

I remember picking up a TAF in a pug 206. Needless to say it was boot open all the way home, and was rather precariously balanced!

Been to the Volvo dealership today and we measured the boot opening on a brand new XC60. The opening is 76cm high from the floor and with the back seats down 176cm deep.

Measured WPC and Data East cabinets with the heads folded down, and they sit at 74cm high, 131cm long. So standard pinball cabinets should slide in no problem without dismantling and no danger of damaging the roof lining as it goes higher past the boot opening.

Looks like i'll be getting the car I wanted afterall. :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom