What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outbuilding to Pin Room Conversion

JustLikeMe

Site Supporter
Some of you might remember that at the very end of last year I posted a thread looking for advice on converting an outbuilding into a games room:

It’s taken longer than I’d anticipated / hoped to actually get underway, but work finally starts tomorrow morning and as a couple of people asked I thought I’d put up a build thread to track progress. Hope this is the right forum for this thread, mods please feel free to move if not.

Since my last post I got a few local firms in to talk it through and provide a quote and one really stood out - he seemed to really get what I was trying to achieve, understood how important the floor was and noted problems the others didn’t pick up on In terms of how the floor was done. The others all suggested installing a floating floor but after measuring he pointed out that given the height of the beams, the slant of the current floor, and the height that would be added if a floating floor was installed, there would be headroom issues with the beams and the floor prob wouldn’t be fit for the intended purpose. He instead said that for the best results they’d instead need to dig out the floor on the side of the room which is higher to make it level with the lowest point and build a solid floor from there.

He also had some good ideas / suggested changes to my original plan, so by the time he left I was convinced. As you’d expect, his quote came in the highest - but as I’d rather do this properly I decided to bite the bullet and go ahead.

So, the job starts tomorrow. First steps are going to be tearing out the partition wall and toilet, digging the floor out, and fixing a small exterior crack on the East wall of the building. After the exterior and floor is sorted, the doors and windows will be replaced, electrics / insulation installed, and finally interior fit out work will get underway.

The end goal is an entirely open plan room. I’m keeping the pitched ceiling and going for white walls and ceiling, dark grey support beams for contrast, and a light grey wood effect vinyl floor. Heating / cooling will be via a 5Kw Mitsubishi inverter heat pump on the East wall. I went with the black model of the below:

For lighting I’ve decided to go with Hue LED strips across each beam - these will throw light up towards the ceiling to avoid glare on the games. Here’s a short proof of concept video I did a while back using 3m of led strips across just one beam - the final product will have closer to 4m across all seven beams:

View attachment 31283665-44BE-4CC4-A963-3DCDC0993DA8.MOV

I’m also going to have three pendant lights dropped from the ceiling over the aisle in the middle of the room between the pins with filament hue bulbs installed, but those will mainly be for ambience as opposed to lighting the space. I’ve gone for these in black from John Lewis:

The toilet in the corner is being ripped out and a carpenter friend of mine is going to build me a small back bar unit with a sink, counter space for the Perfect Draft and Beer Blade, and room underneath for a double beer fridge. I may also add a little lean to coming off the bar and down the wall with a few bar stools depending on how it feels in terms of space when everything else is in. I’ve also decided to mount Sonos One SLs in each corner or the room which I’ll control via an Echo device.

There are other small details, but I think that covers the basics of the plan. I’ll do my best to update the thread with photos as work progresses. I’ve spent the past couple of hours clearing everything out, so here are the before shots:

10D2ED42-7D82-4706-8464-F6031404A73C.jpeg

009BEE42-A0BB-4289-BAE2-7E07153E3038.jpeg

B3C526F4-D3DC-45C5-B667-0B2BDEF0C8B2.jpeg

9F9DBA34-5E36-4B86-A4DF-9BE381EE29BC.jpeg
05EB324F-C238-4432-A04A-3D5ABDA74770.jpeg

90B48CF9-F9F4-4E1F-80BD-E166190D0B91.jpeg
78DFF13B-FD35-4E0B-B28C-86D2ABCE6976.jpeg

It looks like the whole project is likely to take four or five weeks. Unfortunately due to a family emergency my wife and I are going to have to fly to Hong Kong in three weeks time, so I won’t be here for the last week or two of the build. Not ideal, but my parents live close enough to stop in to check up on progress / send me photos etc and the director of the firm understands our situation and has kindly offered to do daily video calls to keep me updated / discuss anything that comes up. At least when we get back it should be finished and ready to start moving the pins in!

Last edited:
So jealous (of both the building, and going to Hong Kong - Sorry to hear about the family emergency :( )

So jealous (of both the building, and going to Hong Kong - Sorry to hear about the family emergency :( )

Thanks Paul - but believe me, no reason to be jealous of this HK trip. It’s not for pleasure, we have to do one week hotel quarantine on arrival - or worse if we test positive - and we’re going to have to continue working remotely. With the time difference this means we’ll be working from 4pm - 12am. It’s very much out of necessity.

Should be awesome! I have to ask though, is that traffic noise normal?

Yes and no. The outbuilding is next to a fairly busy road, but it does get much quieter in the evenings - that video was taken a few months ago when it was still getting dark early. The building also currently has no insulation, single glazed windows, and large gaps around the door. It will be much less of an issue once the proper doors and double glazed windows are fitted, walls and ceiling are insulated etc.

Last edited:
Road noise can be a blessing. My garden backs on to the busy A55 and I actually really like the road noise. It's very calming and sounds like the sea. It also means that I'm not having to worry about the sound of my kids shouting on the trampoline etc. Silence isn't always golden.

Look forward to following the progress of this. I love the flint walls. Best of luck with the HK trip. We’ve decided to delay until late autumn but will be very keen to hear your experience. My daughter in law says there are rumours of reducing hotel quarantine to 3 days soon.

Look forward to following the progress of this. I love the flint walls. Best of luck with the HK trip. We’ve decided to delay until late autumn but will be very keen to hear your experience. My daughter in law says there are rumours of reducing hotel quarantine to 3 days soon.

Thanks, appreciate it - I’ll be there when the build is coming to an end so I’m sure I’ll end up posting about my experience in this thread. Would be delighted if quarantine is reduced to three days by the time we land but not going to get my hopes up!

So, after months of waiting - and years of dreaming - work finally got underway this morning. The partition wall has been removed and the toilet block torn down, so the interior is pretty much gutted. They’ve also made a good start on the floor.

1321A792-3083-4CC2-AA68-7EBB7625B7B3.jpeg

B13E2A9F-9547-43E9-A8F8-DD852D7424E6.jpeg

0336A936-8BC4-4E1F-931A-F2AE536042DC.jpeg

254EE157-FA99-4A10-ACCE-F9431742F28A.jpeg

It’s strange how much bigger the space feels already. I also finally have accurate interior measurements of the room via a laser measure and I know approx how much space I’ll lose to insulation etc, and it looks like I may just be able to squeeze in 18 machines once all is said and done, along with the small back bar I mentioned before. Worst case scenario is 17 which I can definitely live with.

So, after months of waiting - and years of dreaming - work finally got underway this morning. The partition wall has been removed and the toilet block torn down, so the interior is pretty much gutted. They’ve also made a good start on the floor.

View attachment 170675

View attachment 170676

View attachment 170677

View attachment 170678

It’s strange how much bigger the space feels already. I also finally have accurate interior measurements of the room via a laser measure and I know approx how much space I’ll lose to insulation etc, and it looks like I may just be able to squeeze in 18 machines once all is said and done, along with the small back bar I mentioned before. Worst case scenario is 17 which I can definitely live with.
18 games is a nice sized games room :)
Love these games room construction threads

did you work out glass off space?

Working on the assumption that the length of each machine is approx 140cm (from feet of back legs to feet of front legs, not the cabinet) I should have approx 146cm between the front legs of opposite machines. A sheet of glass is around 109cm, so I should be fine. Worst case scenario I'll be playing Tetris.

For 90s bally Williams front of machine stands 148 cm off wall if skirting is 1 inch thick. Glass out plus machine makes it about 246cm. So if you have machines facing you need 394cm wall to wall and about 390cm if no skirting. Easy to remember as 2.5m wall to wall for single row and 4m for facing machines.

Paul

For 90s bally Williams front of machine stands 148 cm off wall if skirting is 1 inch thick. Glass out plus machine makes it about 246cm. So if you have machines facing you need 394cm wall to wall and about 390cm if no skirting. Easy to remember as 2.5m wall to wall for single row and 4m for facing machines.

Paul

Thanks, this is reassuring - I'm looking at approx 426cm wall to wall. This reminds me I haven't actually decided if I'm going with skirting or not yet.

the lighting will work perfectly and is similar approach (ambient) to what I've done.

Neil

Jealous. I'd love a games room. I've got a decent size garage I could convert but no money to convert it!
I'd go a half conversion were your place mine. Games in a row with plasterboard painted etc. Storage & bikes on the other side.

I'd go a half conversion were your place mine. Games in a row with plasterboard painted etc. Storage & bikes on the other side.
This is what I did in my garage, one side is pins on carpet and the other side is metal shelving and push bikes and crap. I could remove the shelving and fill that side with pins as well if i wanted to :D but not much for sale at the moment without spending a fortune!

Day two is done - they’ve finished digging out the floor, but nothing particularly exciting visually. Here are the general progress photos:

367E5D2B-7497-439A-B3A6-20D7C074B16C.jpeg

9CBA2981-22C5-4567-9FF8-75D30BF45707.jpeg

I did however have one unexpected surprise - the smaller partitioned area on the side of the building that previously housed the toilet cubicle had a small ‘mezzanine’ type storage area above head height. It was ripped out today and we discovered that it hid a shelf beyond the lower part of the wall which I could either retain or hide:

46028390-B4A1-4F73-882C-E757E08A0F3F.jpeg

Likewise, given the fact that the flint wall at the other end of the building protrudes from the main structure, there was the opportunity to create a similar, but slightly less deep shelf at the same height at the opposite side once the internal walls are built:

81D5EBE6-6E34-4932-922B-BCF28C0B71E5.jpeg

Given the opportunity, I thought it was worth doing - I can always use them to run a further two LED strips if necessary, or alternatively use them as display shelves. Not something I‘d planned for, but I’m happy they’ll be there!

The replacement doors and windows arrive tomorrow, and it’s been so long since we ordered them that I can’t remember what they look like. Looking forward to finding out.

This is fantastic - well played you !
I'm also intrigued by the corrosion map (?) on the wall

Thanks - when we first viewed the property and we got around to the outbuilding I immediately saw the potential. I’m just lucky my wife liked the house!

As for the corrosion map, it was more of a corrosion stain…

9BF116A5-49CE-4034-AF8E-BDB1F77477F7.jpeg

Day three update - the old floor is now covered in insulation board and black plastic sheets have been laid over, almost ready for the screed to be poured on Monday. Good progress has been made on the structure of the interior stud wall. Not much to look at, but standing in the room you can start to feel it taking shape.

1AD93BAE-7081-494F-AFE3-61EAACAF2C39.jpeg

2E69A277-BE9C-403F-864E-8233FEE83176.jpeg

9918A65E-8DC2-4B65-AA76-253FC4FEB6B5.jpeg

1E57B4A3-2A05-46F7-AEFF-4B41446FE205.jpeg

Day three update - the old floor is now covered in insulation board and black plastic sheets have been laid over, almost ready for the screed to be poured on Monday. Good progress has been made on the structure of the interior stud wall. Not much to look at, but standing in the room you can start to feel it taking shape.

View attachment 171087

View attachment 171086

View attachment 171089

View attachment 171088
Looking great, what’s your plan with those electric fuse boxes, will they stay in same location? Or will you move them?

Looking great, what’s your plan with those electric fuse boxes, will they stay in same location? Or will you move them?

I’d move them if not for the elec meter above them which I can’t relocate without a ton of hassle. The internal wall will hide quite a bit of their depth, and a box with access panel will be built around what’s left protruding.

Given that the rear legs of the machines extend at a slight angle which means the back of the cab isn’t against the wall, it shouldn’t be much of an issue in terms of how far back against the wall I can position a game. I hope.

Day four, and the final update of the week. More progress on the frame for the stud wall, and the floor is prepped and ready for concrete screed to be poured on Monday afternoon. Very impressed at how much they’ve got done in just four days given that it’s only two guys on the job so far.

D89DFEB2-9856-4ECA-B5E7-615B853B12B0.jpeg

EA3256A6-1DBB-41C0-8B4A-1D3846097D8B.jpeg

The sparky will be coming next week to discuss electrics - from chatting to the guys they think this job will be the most sockets he’s ever had to install in a single room. Not sure he’s going to be a fan.

The previous owners who designed and built the main house ran a cat 5 cable to the outbuilding which is helpful, but they left it cut at both ends with no RJ45 connector / socket. The end of the cable in the outbuilding was on the opposite wall to where I’d like the socket to be placed, but fortunately there was enough excess to run it under the floor to the right position. Until I can test it I can’t be sure that it’s in working condition, but I’ve decided to be cautiously optimistic because it’ll be a real ball ache if it doesn’t work. I‘m hoping that the sparky will be able to fit the connectors so that I can test next week as I’ll have to come up with another solution if the cable is damaged.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom