What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outbuilding to Pin Room Conversion

Quick mid-week update as things are moving fast now - the floor is finished, skirting is finished, access panels and electric cupboard are finished, and the decorator has been in for two days. The air con has had its first proper work out, think the guys in there this week are happier than I am that it’s installed!

Couple of pics from last night:

5146139B-D4A2-4523-8842-6C7FB345DBBC.jpeg

4A36406C-EAB2-4CB0-9CB2-76EEFF81F970.jpeg

It’s really coming together now, amazing what a coat of paint does to a space. They’ve started painting the beams this morning and they look great in anthracite - pics to follow this eve. Decorating should be finished this week and then the electrics will be finished off on Friday. Really close now.

Everything is booked to move the machines down from London on Mon and Tues next week. Sods law that it’ll be the peak of the heatwave - sorry @gopinball!

Looks fantastic, what a great space! Don’t think my family would see my again if I had this lolol

Looks fantastic, what a great space! Don’t think my family would see my again if I had this lolol

Cheers, really happy with how it’s turning out. I don’t have much of a visual imagination so I couldn’t quite picture how it would look, so I’m equal parts relieved and glad that it looks so good now it’s all coming together. Don’t think my wife is worried about not seeing me, reckon she’s just glad she has somewhere to kick me out to when she’s had enough!

The beams had their first coat of paint today and I think it looks great - photos don’t do it justice:

D2D08288-7830-4375-B539-461E37881B0F.jpeg

B11FDC8B-7687-4BF3-8AC3-F45F9DC23CF1.jpeg

CFCF684A-B45C-4F75-A09A-0E9FCAFF81A4.jpeg

Getting close now…

Decorating finished and pin room warming present arrived! Electrics being done tomorrow but luckily had one working socket in the electrics cupboard that was left to provide power for tools. Just had my very first game in the new pin room - can hardly believe it.

8EC9808A-8892-4B4B-B710-F60DDF4CAC48.jpeg

0F2681EC-9756-471A-A27B-1A73ED2DBFAF.jpeg

F2FA962A-F096-4FC3-9F59-396850B4D303.jpeg

444CF227-0810-42E3-B9FF-EEF06F1DFA0F.jpeg

Blinds won’t be ready for another week or two, so I’ve repurposed the stick up blinds we got when we first moved in hence the tear. Doesn’t look great, but does the job for now.

Looks awesome, you must be really pleased with the space!

Honestly can’t tell you how happy I am with how it turned out. I’ve dreamed of doing something like this since I started collecting pins 18 odd years ago. Still doesn’t feel real.

It never would have happened if we didn’t move out of London, and that probably wouldn’t have happened if not for the pandemic. Up until around a year ago, this was a total pipe dream.

Decorating finished and pin room warming present arrived! Electrics being done tomorrow but luckily had one working socket in the electrics cupboard that was left to provide power for tools. Just had my very first game in the new pin room - can hardly believe it.

View attachment 175685

View attachment 175684

View attachment 175686

View attachment 175687

Blinds won’t be ready for another week or two, so I’ve repurposed the stick up blinds we got when we first moved in hence the tear. Doesn’t look great, but does the job for now.
Looks fab that does, a lot of hard work has clearly gone into it and even more lots of money …

When it’s done how many pins do you reckon you’ll get in nicely ?

Honestly can’t tell you how happy I am with how it turned out. I’ve dreamed of doing something like this since I started collecting pins 18 odd years ago. Still doesn’t feel real.

It never would have happened if we didn’t move out of London, and that probably wouldn’t have happened if not for the pandemic. Up until around a year ago, this was a total pipe dream.
I love this - I know the feeling - superb execution - I am very happy for you; well played.

Looks fab that does, a lot of hard work has clearly gone into it and even more lots of money …

When it’s done how many pins do you reckon you’ll get in nicely ?

After I’ve installed a small back bar in one corner I’ll fit 17 comfortably, 18 at a push if I fill the long wall with Sterns as they have narrower backboxes. After moving pins down next week I’ll have 12 set up so will have a bit of room to fill. Might take some time as you’re right, it hasn’t been cheap.

I love this - I know the feeling - superb execution - I am very happy for you; well played.

Cheers Julian, appreciate it. Amazing feeling standing in there now it’s almost done! Can’t wait to see how it looks after lighting is installed tomorrow.

After I’ve installed a small back bar in one corner I’ll fit 17 comfortably, 18 at a push if I fill the long wall with Sterns as they have narrower backboxes. After moving pins down next week I’ll have 12 set up so will have a bit of room to fill. Might take some time as you’re right, it hasn’t been cheap.

Cheers Julian, appreciate it. Amazing feeling standing in there now it’s almost done! Can’t wait to see how it looks after lighting is installed tomorrow.
Wow 18 at a push that’s the dream , for many it’s not about the money that’s the problem it’s the space … your a lucky guy having that much room … only one problem where’s the 19th pin going ! You’ll fill it ! Congrats buddy great job with it

Wow 18 at a push that’s the dream , for many it’s not about the money that’s the problem it’s the space … your a lucky guy having that much room … only one problem where’s the 19th pin going ! You’ll fill it ! Congrats buddy great job with it

Yup that’s the problem, the ideal number of pins is always however many you own + one! But then again I figure that two pins folded up take up the space of one set up so that’s my backup plan for down the line if I keep accumulating without letting any go. It’s an addiction.

Yup that’s the problem, the ideal number of pins is always however many you own + one! But then again I figure that two pins folded up take up the space of one set up so that’s my backup plan for down the line if I keep accumulating without letting any go. It’s an addiction.
Yup there’s something wrong with us all 😂

As of Friday evening, it’s pretty much finished. I still need to install the blinds and bar down the line, but the electrics / lighting / speakers are all in and working great. Absolutely delighted with the outcome, more pics to follow after the rest of the machines are moved down this week!

143A1D73-FB50-4BA5-B6E8-E53DED27BD5A.jpeg

2FC6EEB6-8341-4B48-8C3F-D759CC96B0D7.jpeg

C2F6742E-EBC5-403F-BAD1-7CFEC45CBE5D.jpeg

F89FFE37-5812-486D-B224-9DA40A963C28.jpeg

Considering some acoustic panels on the wall but will see how it sounds in there when it isn’t so empty.

As of Friday evening, it’s pretty much finished. I still need to install the blinds and bar down the line, but the electrics / lighting / speakers are all in and working great. Absolutely delighted with the outcome, more pics to follow after the rest of the machines are moved down this week!

View attachment 175903

View attachment 175904

View attachment 175905

View attachment 175906

Considering some acoustic panels on the wall but will see how it sounds in there when it isn’t so empty.
Love the pin in there gives you a good idea of the size of the room looks fab

Looks fecking epic!!!!! Really great job. Love the wooden beams!

As a sparky glad you didn’t cop out with white plastic plates ;)

Overall a really nice finish and looks like it’s going to be filled with some awesome pins not least DP

Looks fecking epic!!!!! Really great job. Love the wooden beams!

As a sparky glad you didn’t cop out with white plastic plates ;)

Overall a really nice finish and looks like it’s going to be filled with some awesome pins not least DP

Cheers - had to go with nice outlets! I have two above the eventual bar that are the same but each has one USB-A and one USB-C port too

best be ordering the rubber shoes for your pin.

Hard to see in the pics but already sorted:

3F7338EB-6D2C-444D-AFB4-5419AE83189F.jpeg

I go with the plastic ones with felt underneath instead of rubber cups though, makes them easier to move when I need to

Out of stock now but luckily have loads of them.

If you’d asked me a few days ago I’d have said that this conversion was the craziest thing I’d ever done because of pinball. Turns out moving ten machines down from London to the South Coast on the hottest day ever recorded using vans with no air con easily surpassed that. Quickly learnt that having windows down when it’s 40 degrees outside really doesn’t help at all. Martin @gopinball really outdid himself today, although to be fair I did ask him if he wanted to reschedule when the forecast predicted these temps! Room is filling up…

D1E5F0BC-1703-400F-BFAD-B7EB85A7A991.jpeg

EDCD3459-39E1-4473-80F9-6203C35C2D11.jpeg

F035EA7B-E767-40C7-A665-45B237D16A65.jpeg

Martin is kindly heading back on Thurs to help me get the rest set up and move Elvira out from the house to the outbuilding. Blinds being installed on Friday and then we’re done.

Looking good, some lovely pins there😎 Martin is very helpful, even helped me jump start my van the old fashioned way☺️

Machines set up yesterday and blinds installed today - apart from the bar, the room is finished!

456B4F0A-575C-4D5F-AC24-FDEA0CE878E6.jpeg

4420BF27-5FDF-4E9C-B2EE-39C28462AC53.jpeg

58E99E8C-51D6-4744-8380-BEC2B1234984.jpeg

83E5FA2E-9209-48BA-8C36-37301E46A570.jpeg

Whilst I wait for the bar, I’ve come up with a temporary solution…

3D1F1A59-49D8-4C44-BD94-AEF8A95D3A75.jpeg

It isn’t pretty, but it gets the job done. Looking forward to spending some time in there this weekend!

Machines set up yesterday and blinds installed today - apart from the bar, the room is finished!

View attachment 176413

View attachment 176410

View attachment 176411

View attachment 176412

Whilst I wait for the bar, I’ve come up with a temporary solution…

View attachment 176414

It isn’t pretty, but it gets the job done. Looking forward to spending some time in there this weekend!
Beautiful games … proud moment for you right there … how many times you just casually walked into the room to admire your work ?

Beautiful games … proud moment for you right there … how many times you just casually walked into the room to admire your work ?

Yeah couldn't be happier with how it's turned out. The wife hasn't seen much of me this week!

To be fair though I can't really take credit for the work - all the guys who worked on it did an incredible job. I'm going to organise an evening to get them all over as a thank you - get a load of beers in, pizzas delivered, pins on etc. They all said that they enjoyed working on something that wasn't just another house build / kitchen / extension etc so only fair that they get to come and enjoy the result.

Back
Top Bottom