What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Next new Stern announced this week!

If you change the speakers out the sound is fantastic on LOTR. Stock speakers it sounds like some trying to shout for help whilst being kidnapped!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Totally agree @Neil McRae .

Same with MOST games ever built - the stock speakers have always been notoriously bad to average.

I have not owned a pinball yet that has not been improved by better speaker drivers.

Most stern games are held into the 'eprom' at a fairly good bit rate.... not amazing but fairly good.

Chicago gaming LE/Premiums come out with good speakers, the Classics not so good (but at least now backbox has dual drivers both side unline MMrm did originally), but the sub is still average on the classic.

You do have to watch changing backbox speakers, as you should not really go under 4 ohms! Most dual driver car speakers are 4 ohms. One option is to wire in series which allows more power to go to the sub, or even restrict the speaker line via a pot to the backbox speakers.

Worth a look if you are uprading speakers on the schematic to the amp board to see if the sub goes thru a low pass filter before it hits the power amp chip. There is no point in putting in a crossover on the speaker if it has already been low-passed.

The new @new forest pinball kits are very good value for money, I would get those over Pinball Pro USA kits. Or do it yourelf if you have the knowledge and understand ohmage and speakers :)

I was trying to source speakers for TWD, gave up due to it wanting 8ohm back box speakers and didn’t want to mess about with 4 ohms plus the speakers I was looking at started to add up so gave in and bought Fidelity’s.
Happy with them but cheaper would be better! Much better bass, small improvement with clarity.
Need some for lotr, what are these @new forest pinball kits. Sounds right up my street😎

Also worth mentioning not all speakers actually measure the specified impedance. Some 16 ohm drivers measure as low as 10 ohm.

I physically check with a meter (after testing the meter leads first!).

I have fitted two sets of the new forest speakers for customers and I thought they were good options. I have the knowledge to use other speakers but are not a straight swap to fit. Normally have to mess with stuff. In the past I have put inline resistors to get the ohmage higher. This makes you crank up the volume more which improves the sub volume balance.

I cant see me selling my LOTR but it does feel dated compared to modern pins. It’s a good solid pin but not convinced it’s one of Sterns top 4. Good to see it’s not just the shiny new games that made it into the final brackets.

Saw someone on Sterns Facebook page was claiming it was a dreadful incorporation of the theme. Maybe he’s got a thing for ageing men but I love the way it’s taken from artwork/Eddie rather than stock photos of the band.

^^^^I thought the theme was very well done, just goes to show some folk are never happy. As you said, maybe wanted the spandex, bare chest and ......never mind 😂

Back
Top Bottom