What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New members - say hello right here : )

Evening

Im kieron, been into pins since I was about 7,
Bought played and sold loads over the years with my dad. Joined the forum to locate a couple of grail machines (to me anyway) and to seek advice and gain knowledge from other likeminded individuals.

Hi all,

Just occurred to me I don't think I introduced myself here.

I joined after a recommendation from @Neil McRae. He helped me after a botched 1st time purchase on a ST Stern Premium on the UK pinball FB group.

His advice has been invaluable in helping me get my machine into a factory condition.

His willingness to help led me here and I'm definitely hooked on getting more pins!

My existing friend circle does not share my interest in Arcade Machines or Pinball machines and most think I've lost my mind with the amount I've spent on one pinball machine alone. 😅

Hopefully I can build relations on here with people who share my interest.

Hi all,

I joined after a recommendation from @Neil McRae. He helped me after a botched 1st time purchase on a ST Stern Premium on the UK pinball FB group.

His advice has been invaluable in helping me get my machine into a factory condition.

His willingness to help led me here and I'm definitely hooked on getting more pins!

My existing friend circle does not share my interest in Arcade Machines or Pinball machines and most think I've lost my mind with the amount I've spent on one pinball machine alone. 😅

welcome - glad one of our members has been helpful. That's the spirit, lend a hand.

Hi all,

My existing friend circle does not share my interest in Arcade Machines or Pinball machines and most think I've lost my mind with the amount I've spent on one pinball machine alone. [emoji28]

Hi [emoji2321]

I seen your post on the Uk pinball group. Did you get everything sorted in the end?

The group of people on here are superb and very helpful.

Welcome [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi [emoji2321]

I seen your post on the Uk pinball group. Did you get everything sorted in the end?

The group of people on here are superb and very helpful.

Welcome [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey!

So I've resolved the following:

- Repaired the broken roll over spring on TR(E)K channel.

- Replaced a broken roll over switch (away team).

- Replaced 4 PCB's to resolve the faulty/broken LEDs on the playfield (most expensive part of the repair bill)

- Replaced the old Pinball balls which had become magnitized. (part of the issue I had with balls getting stuck in the vengeance).

- Twisted the opto wires which routed close by to the magnet underneath the playfield (the other part of the issue with balls getting stuck in the vengeance).

- Found two wires in reverse order on board 5.

- Flipper bats were yellowed and lacked power. Replaced with new bats and coil sleeves.
Coil stops seem OK and solenoids also seem OK for now. Power is now back on all flippers.

- DMD is faulty, dead lines in sections of the screen. More lines appear over time as the screen is left on. Ordered replacement DMD (refurbished) from Cointaker but it arrived faulty... (DOA) awaiting response from cointaker but it's been a week..

- Rubbers need replacing on playfield. Have ordered some, awaiting their arrival.

- Rear leg feet were rusted. Treated and restored.

- Carriage bolts around the pin were rusted also. Treated and restored.

It's been a huge endeavour for my first pin but it's allowed me to gain a huge understanding of how they work. How to maintain them and what to look for going forward.

When everything is up and running I'll be sure to document it on the shop thread.

Hey!

So I've resolved the following:

- Repaired the broken roll over spring on TR(E)K channel.

- Replaced a broken roll over switch (away team).

- Replaced 4 PCB's to resolve the faulty/broken LEDs on the playfield (most expensive part of the repair bill)

- Replaced the old Pinball balls which had become magnitized. (part of the issue I had with balls getting stuck in the vengeance).

- Twisted the opto wires which routed close by to the magnet underneath the playfield (the other part of the issue with balls getting stuck in the vengeance).

- Found two wires in reverse order on board 5.

- Flipper bats were yellowed and lacked power. Replaced with new bats and coil sleeves.
Coil stops seem OK and solenoids also seem OK for now. Power is now back on all flippers.

- DMD is faulty, dead lines in sections of the screen. More lines appear over time as the screen is left on. Ordered replacement DMD (refurbished) from Cointaker but it arrived faulty... (DOA) awaiting response from cointaker but it's been a week..

- Rubbers need replacing on playfield. Have ordered some, awaiting their arrival.

- Rear leg feet were rusted. Treated and restored.

- Carriage bolts around the pin were rusted also. Treated and restored.

It's been a huge endeavour for my first pin but it's allowed me to gain a huge understanding of how they work. How to maintain them and what to look for going forward.

When everything is up and running I'll be sure to document it on the shop thread.
All that on a fairly recent Stern Star Trek?? Wow.

All that on a fairly recent Stern Star Trek?? Wow.

Yes, I was told the original owner had passed away and his niece had taken ownership. They had it in a garage when I arrived and didn't give too much information on where it had been previously. Given the rear feet were orange (rust!) and should have been polished chrome tells me they left it in a damp place for quite a while. I'm lucky the main circuit boards seem OK. It also looks like the guy who owned it never did any maintenance. The code hadn't been updated since 2015 and it likely still had the original flipper bats and maybe even the orginal rubbers on the playfield. Atleast it had all the keys :D

Yeah no doubt most of these are corrosion related faults the opto boards seem very susceptible to this. Glad you got the game working all ok!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yes, I was told the original owner had passed away and his niece had taken ownership. They had it in a garage when I arrived and didn't give too much information on where it had been previously. Given the rear feet were orange (rust!) and should have been polished chrome tells me they left it in a damp place for quite a while. I'm lucky the main circuit boards seem OK. It also looks like the guy who owned it never did any maintenance. The code hadn't been updated since 2015 and it likely still had the original flipper bats and maybe even the orginal rubbers on the playfield. Atleast it had all the keys :D
Was the red paint trim still ok? I had ST-LE for while, enjoyed it - fast and furious.

Was the red paint trim still ok? I had ST-LE for while, enjoyed it - fast and furious.
So one of the legs has some cuts/scuffs down it. Nothing too major. I used some T-Cut Colour Fast which reduced the visibility of them. Thankfully the red finish held up well against the damp conditions it was left in.

Welcome to the forum @s000m.
I used to have a pin like that you have, when it’s up and running 100% it’s a great game.
You should have put up a wanted ad for a DMD on here as a lot of people have upgraded to colour screens and have spares lying around.
That would be expensive importing one from Cointaker.
Hard to believe a modern stern got itself into such a state. Goes to show the importance of keeping them out of damp conditions.

it’s a slippery slope, pinball machines multiply and before you know it you are looking around for more space to put more :rofl:

Sounds like you have learned a lot along the way, it’s a great hobby and when we can start going to club meets again it will be better for everyone.

Hello All,

Long time lurker, thought I'd finally sign up as this seems the best place to discuss pinball online, with a friendly community.

Currently I own a Fun House that I've owned for 3ish years, looking to be inspired to make better use of it, as it needs a bit of maintenance and looking to purchase another pin in the near future as I clear some space.

Looking forward to getting stuck in!

Hello All!
Thanks for accepting me into the forums.

Been very much into visual pinball few a long while. Built my own virtual pinball table around 6 years ago and hoping to make my first real table purchase to stand alongside it.

Was recommended the website from a Facebook group and have found some cool stuff already.

Hello All!
Thanks for accepting me into the forums.

Been very much into visual pinball few a long while. Built my own virtual pinball table around 6 years ago and hoping to make my first real table purchase to stand alongside it.

Was recommended the website from a Facebook group and have found some cool stuff already.
Vpx, it's dangerous...gets you hooked on the hard stuff. I was you two months ago now I have no space, no money and I can never get rid of the kids!!!

Hi all

been a pinball fan for a long time and finally decided to make my first purchase of a TZ. Really enjoying it so far but it’s only got me thinking about what my next one will be!
Seeing fewer options to play around Southend where I live and so figured I’d sign up here and keep an eye out for new ideas of places to visit.

Afternoon all, based down in Ashford, Kent.. hot on the heals of a pinball renaissance in my household I'm still trying to come to terms with the current pinball prices of both old & new machines... Ouch!

I've only ever owned 2 machines, a Blackhole & Bride of Pinbot and I definitely miss having those machine's around (not so much the bride!)..

Ive been surprised at the quality of the more modern stern machine's, particularly startrek with its rgb's and overall amazing atmosphere, will definitely be looking at some of these Stern & JJP games to add to the mancave in the near future.

Hi

After hankering after a table for a few years finally picked up my first, a Demolition Man, so I thought I should at least finally post something and say hi!

Probably won't end up being my only table. Seems to be the way these things go!

All the best,

Sull

Hi all

been a pinball fan for a long time and finally decided to make my first purchase of a TZ. Really enjoying it so far but it’s only got me thinking about what my next one will be!
Seeing fewer options to play around Southend where I live and so figured I’d sign up here and keep an eye out for new ideas of places to visit.
Welcome! Big fan of TZ👍🏻 I lived in Southend a couple of years ago (southchurch) - could only find a few pins in the arcades; and Adams and a Stern IJ. Shame there aren't still more there - get yourself to Flipout in Croydon if you haven't been already!

Back
Top Bottom