What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new STTNG

With the out lanes closed up and lane extenders it still drives you crazy when it drains 🤯

I can imagine. I can't wait to play the thing but the more I remove the more dirt I'm taking off so I may as well get it right now and enjoy it in the long run.

I wouldn't call myself a Trekkie as such but I watched all of Next Gen, Voyager & Enterprise so I'm looking forward to exploring the theme hitting some shots. . . .

ENGAGE!

This will wet your appetite while you are getting it together, one of my favourite sounds/tune is at about 5:25 🤑

This will wet your appetite while you are getting it together, one of my favourite sounds/tune is at about 5:25 🤑

That's not a game . . . that's a work of art!!! The absolute dogs bollox.

Honestly, the way that theme builds up is wonderful, the call-outs are sensational . . . poor old Popeye's not going to get a look in 😂

I like the cube mod too!!!!

Thanks for posting that, great to see it from that angle.

Cheers for the input folks.

I did buy some LEDs for my Popeye but three have stopped working already so I'm reluctant to use the same supplier.
If an LED has stopped working doesn't mean the new LED is defective. Worth checking it elsewhere.

A bit of a video update and general ramblings.

Nice to watch a video from a new collectors perspective, you can feel the excitement. Great to hear your son is helping clean it up to. I had many great years working on games with my dad many moons ago. Your video reminds me of our first twilight zone clean up in the mid 90’s :)

Looks like you are tackling the right parts to start with. Don’t try to do too much at first and take a lot of pics from all angles! New posts, rubbers, balls, flipper rebuild should make a difference

Also check the cannon optos and looms. Ph makes new looms.

When you come to wire the head back up drop me a message if you need any help. Checking of all opto devices is key on this game to especially the main ball trough and left staging trough

On the Popeye’s backbox gi query, check the gi header and driver board pins. Most likely burned up and needs repair

Nice to watch a video from a new collectors perspective, you can feel the excitement. Great to hear your son is helping clean it up to. I had many great years working on games with my dad many moons ago. Your video reminds me of our first twilight zone clean up in the mid 90’s :)

Looks like you are tackling the right parts to start with. Don’t try to do too much at first and take a lot of pics from all angles! New posts, rubbers, balls, flipper rebuild should make a difference

Also check the cannon optos and looms. Ph makes new looms.

When you come to wire the head back up drop me a message if you need any help. Checking of all opto devices is key on this game to especially the main ball trough and left staging trough

On the Popeye’s backbox gi query, check the gi header and driver board pins. Most likely burned up and needs repair

Thanks so much, that's really kind of you. I do appreciate all of the help that I've been offered on here.

I am incredibly excited. It's all gone so quickly since deciding to finally purchase a pin. The buzz of getting the Popeye was brilliant and all of the family got involved.

Having since purchased the Jackbot from somebody who clearly looked after their machines I've come to realise how poorly maintained the Popeye is. The flippers are weak, and there are broken parts all over the place and the balls are ancient. That being said it served it's purpose and proved to me that Pinball was a hobby I'd like to pursue.

As for the 'head box/back box thingy' on the STTNG, I was going to try and copy the wiring on the Popeye and use it as a guide.

Thanks so much, that's really kind of you. I do appreciate all of the help that I've been offered on here.

I am incredibly excited. It's all gone so quickly since deciding to finally purchase a pin. The buzz of getting the Popeye was brilliant and all of the family got involved.

Having since purchased the Jackbot from somebody who clearly looked after their machines I've come to realise how poorly maintained the Popeye is. The flippers are weak, and there are broken parts all over the place and the balls are ancient. That being said it served it's purpose and proved to me that Pinball was a hobby I'd like to pursue.

As for the 'head box/back box thingy' on the STTNG, I was going to try and copy the wiring on the Popeye and use it as a guide.
In the future, label the connectors as you remove - either sharpie the number on the white connector itself or a label and write the connector number on it,
Most of the cables are relatively straight forward but as per @Toxteth O'Grady above, get the manual from ipdb.

Found these for you, from years back. May be useful reference later on. The 8 driver board in the upper right hand side isnt in popeye so you need to be careful with the connections here and the extra ribbon cable.

IMG_6880.jpgIMG_6881.jpgIMG_6882.jpg

Found these for you, from years back. May be useful reference later on. The 8 driver board in the upper right hand side isnt in popeye so you need to be careful with the connections here and the extra ribbon cable.

View attachment 96669View attachment 96670View attachment 96671

Thanks for digging those out, very decent of you.

I have contacted Martin to come over to help me put it all back together so hopefully we'll manage.

I'm going to make a start first though as I want to utilise his expertise with the flipper rebuilds and a few extra lights on the general illumination circuit.

Martin at Gopinball? let him know if he wants to look at my star trek to compare anything I can give you guys access.

Neil.

Martin at Gopinball? let him know if he wants to look at my star trek to compare anything I can give you guys access.

Neil.

That's the very chap ..... you're a true gent Neil.
Thank you.

Keep those videos coming, it’s great to see your progress.
I started like you about 10 years ago and I knew nothing about the Fish Tales I brought. I’m still learning bits and bobs as I go.
Good luck with your refurb, I can’t wait to see the video of you playing it for the first time.

Keep those videos coming, it’s great to see your progress.
I started like you about 10 years ago and I knew nothing about the Fish Tales I brought. I’m still learning bits and bobs as I go.
Good luck with your refurb, I can’t wait to see the video of you playing it for the first time.

Thanks mate, I will.

I've had the Hoover in there too 😂.

My wife wasn't aware that I could use one.

Great video @Gonzo keep up the good work. Your enthusiasm for pinball and the knowledge required to understand them is obvious, and also very relatable. Really love TNG too, probably my favourite widebody. That loop launch is just so satisfying.

Great video @Gonzo keep up the good work. Your enthusiasm for pinball and the knowledge required to understand them is obvious, and also very relatable. Really love TNG too, probably my favourite widebody. That loop launch is just so satisfying.

Thanks mate, I'm looking forward to launching it for the first time.

Martin is coming on Thursday, I might try and order a colour dmd later so as I have it in time.

My latest update.

A massive thank you to everyone who has offered advice both on the thread and via pm.

Great vid 👍🏻

The word you are looking for for the under playfield ramp is ‘subway’ . Sttng is a complex beast under the playfield. Lots of ball staging and ways for the ball to exit. Most games don’t have that much metal underside either!

Great vid 👍🏻

The word you are looking for for the under playfield ramp is ‘subway’ . Sttng is a complex beast under the playfield. Lots of ball staging and ways for the ball to exit. Most games don’t have that much metal underside either!

Thanks mate ..... all hands on deck at the moment.

20191109_184448.jpg

Probably best not to remove the ball in the subway. STTNG has a system to get the balls back onto the playfield quickly. See this from ipdb;

There are three cellar holes in the upper half of the playfield. They lead to three VUKsbelow the playfield that will kick the ball up to the left habitrail or to either of the two cannons on top of the slingshots. To reduce the time it would take for a ball to fall into a cellar hole, roll down under the playfield to a VUK, and resurface back into play, a patented below-the-playfield multiple ball delivery system was developed. In this system, other balls are already positioned below the playfield, one in each of the three VUKs. As soon as the playfield ball falls into a cellar hole, the corresponding VUK kicks its ball into play. The playfield ball then rolls down to remain in the newly-vacated VUK. Game play is continuous, and time has been saved.

Probably best not to remove the ball in the subway. STTNG has a system to get the balls back onto the playfield quickly. See this from ipdb;

There are three cellar holes in the upper half of the playfield. They lead to three VUKsbelow the playfield that will kick the ball up to the left habitrail or to either of the two cannons on top of the slingshots. To reduce the time it would take for a ball to fall into a cellar hole, roll down under the playfield to a VUK, and resurface back into play, a patented below-the-playfield multiple ball delivery system was developed. In this system, other balls are already positioned below the playfield, one in each of the three VUKs. As soon as the playfield ball falls into a cellar hole, the corresponding VUK kicks its ball into play. The playfield ball then rolls down to remain in the newly-vacated VUK. Game play is continuous, and time has been saved.

Thanks mate ...... alas I removed it on Friday 😬

Thanks mate ...... alas I removed it on Friday 😬

It’s ok, because you want all new in there anyway. When you first start it up and all balls are in the bottom trough it will shoot and load all ‘staged’ balls itself as part of the initialising

It’s ok, because you want all new in there anyway. When you first start it up and all balls are in the bottom trough it will shoot and load all ‘staged’ balls itself as part of the initialising
And it’s quite fun to watch the ball fly around that wire form one after another

Looking good. Nice work on the clean up. Blue star posts sound nice, even maybe teal to?

If you are looking to add powered mods to the game and run a colour dmd then i would suggest consider getting one of my mod power boards,
available here:

https://mypinballs.com/electronics/store.jsp

as this will off load the extra 12v draw from the power driver board. This game needs all the help it can get with the 12v load (just like most other wms super pins), as the optos on the game run from 12v to and there are alot of them plus all the extra motors and such. Any tiny issue with an opto, plays havoc with the running of the game. Also it will be interesting to see how the trough opto boards stand up once its powered back up and also if the cannons function correctly.

If you want any more info etc drop me a pm.

Cheers

Jim

Looking good. Nice work on the clean up. Blue star posts sound nice, even maybe teal to?

If you are looking to add powered mods to the game and run a colour dmd then i would suggest consider getting one of my mod power boards,
available here:

https://mypinballs.com/electronics/store.jsp

as this will off load the extra 12v draw from the power driver board. This game needs all the help it can get with the 12v load (just like most other wms super pins), as the optos on the game run from 12v to and there are alot of them plus all the extra motors and such. Any tiny issue with an opto, plays havoc with the running of the game. Also it will be interesting to see how the trough opto boards stand up once its powered back up and also if the cannons function correctly.

If you want any more info etc drop me a pm.

Cheers

Jim

Cheers Jim.

I must admit that the electronics fill me with dread & horror. I have zero understanding of any of that side of things.

That being said I'm happy to spend £60 if it will help things run better. Does it come with instructions for idiots?

Back
Top Bottom