What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MMr has its ticket booked! :-)

Oops small newbie error

It turns out my staircase is narrower than I thought (and the backbox is wider than I thought). So the backbox is going to have to come off....(or I leave the machine upstairs!). Wish me luck....(and any tips gratefully received!)

PS It looks lovely

Oops small newbie error

It turns out my staircase is narrower than I thought (and the backbox is wider than I thought). So the backbox is going to have to come off....(or I leave the machine upstairs!). Wish me luck....(and any tips gratefully received!)

PS It looks lovely
Well it should be easier than almost any other machine as there's hardly anything in the backbox.

Yes, it looks fairly straightforward (touch wood); just the one PCB with about 7 connectors to it, a speaker connection and a connection to the "knocker"

Backbox taken off (very easy job). Machine moved downstairs. All reassembled. Power cable stolen from a loudspeaker. Plays perfectly straight from the get-go!

(Only thing to do now is disconnect the knocker, the first time it triggered my kids all jumped 3 feet!) :)

Now if I can just work out how to post a picture or two....

Was the flipper angle correct? I upped mine a touch to be in line with the slings?
Enjoy, got my name on the grand champ tonight, had to set it on 14 balls per game and a free ball every time it hit the pops!

Haha, I guess that's one way to get a high score. At the moment even my 8 year old is beating me on the game...

I've not played with the flipper angles yet - it feels like all the shots, hitting the castle etc, are relatively easy. The things I might change are the flipper strength (up a bit) and possibly tone down the catapult strength. Oh and I toggled the "match" setting off so that it doesn't scare anyone. But I want to put a hundred games or so on it first before I really start tweaking the settings

I have to say the game feels incredibly solid. Even the backbox when detached has got a fair amount of heft to it.

Oh and the wife tells me that the next one I buy has to have a backbox that fits down the stairs without being detached :)

Looks and plays amazing straight out of the box, we set the angle at 6.75 degrees, possibly could go steeper to decrease ball times.

Flippers take a bit getting used to with being a weird angle.
Main thing is they make the ramp shots quite easily at factory settings.

We both manged to rack up some good scores with thinking we should increase the difficulty by reducing extra balls and increase the playing field angle.

I am still torn wether I prefer the gold rails or the black, they both look really good and I think personally I would opt for the gold if given the choice. The matching gold ball guides are a very nice touch, even the tilt bob has been gold plated.

I am sure @Julian can chime in with more thoughts on the machine in good time.
image.jpeg

A few more pics of the #551 MMr with Chris P, thanks for the help setting up.

Machine plays very well indeed, I used to own an original whilst that was a while ago I think this remake is spot-on, they took their sweet time but got it right.

IMG_20160127_183452.jpg
IMG_20160127_185008.jpg IMG_20160127_194808.jpg IMG_20160127_194907.jpg

Backbox taken off (very easy job). Machine moved downstairs. All reassembled. Power cable stolen from a loudspeaker. Plays perfectly straight from the get-go!

(Only thing to do now is disconnect the knocker, the first time it triggered my kids all jumped 3 feet!) :)

Now if I can just work out how to post a picture or two....

Disconnect the knocker are you serious? That's sacrilege first thing I do when I get a game is reconnect the knocker if it's been undone

The knocker on mine is the loudest I have ever heard, scared the hell out of Donna when she was on it (got a match not a high score!) she did put 4 games in a row on it so I think she likes it.
Her favourite features are the shaker motor and the trolls.
I think I have mine set up ok now if not a little easy on the pitch, I did put a cable tie in the grove on the drawbridge linkage arm which took away the slack and made the drawbridge straight up (happy days!).
First hit on the drawbridge I got an air ball which hit the glass and missed the moat, so removed the cable tie (bo****ks!).
There may be a sweet spot but the drawbridge needs to be slightly open!
I sometimes get an air ball shooting the dragon ramp which keeps hitting the underside of the plastic dragon, worried I may break it so will keep my eye on that.
Removed the tilt weight because you only had to fart near the machine and it tilts, I don't nudge mine but did get a ball stuck behind the right hand troll a couple of times.
Other than that all good, I will make the angle steeper in time but at the moment just want to have good ball times.
The side drains are brutal enough to keep it being too easy, I found it even more important on this to hold the ball and aim your shot than on TZ!
Flip at random and goodbye ball!
Really need the colour DMD update as I can't really find a colour I'm totally happy with but not tried too many.
Great fun though and it really has got that one more game appeal to it, understanding the rules more now helps which draws you in.

maybe game has a soft knocker option? or the old trick of a inch of carpet to the backbox to dampen it. traditionally the knocker coil was the first one robbed by ops for repairs .

Other than that all good, I will make the angle steeper in time but at the moment just want to have good ball times.
The side drains are brutal
The shallower any machine is the more outlane drains you get as the side to side movement of the ball is less hindered by gravity.

Just because a machine is steeper does not necessarily reduce ball times, sometimes it increases them.

Aye what Wayne said is very true, less pitch means more time for the ball to move side to side with less gravity effect. Personal preference is the most important thing over anything else

The shallower any machine is the more outlane drains you get as the side to side movement of the ball is less hindered by gravity.

Just because a machine is steeper does not necessarily reduce ball times, sometimes it increases them.

..................Crawls under machine and lifts it on my back to jack the back end up!
Thanks Wayne.

Didn't disconnect the knocker in the end, just disabled the "match" option instead.

As a first time owner I'm amazed at the number of options you have in the set-up menus, including being able to play around with the "match" percentages -all that time I shoved 50ps into machines as a student thinking there should be a 1 in 10 chance of a match (and that I was just being unlucky when it worked out far worse)!!

Back
Top Bottom