What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Complete Making my own dream theme

WCS 94/ Hammers game incoming?

I'd love to mate but I'm a bit scared of trashing a pin that's loved by so many.

I'd really like to make Quadrophenia out of something but it would need the music so that probably rules out some of the early SS games. I don't want a DMD though because it would be too much work.

I'd really like to make Quadrophenia out of something but it would need the music so that probably rules out some of the early SS games.

Not necessarily, if its the type with a separate sound card where the sounds are triggered by grounding inputs (williams Sys7, Bally etc) it could be replaced by an aftermarket or custom board using a raspberry pi to play the music/sounds you want, much like the Tilt! audio board being discussed on another thread recently.

Not necessarily, if its the type with a separate sound card where the sounds are triggered by grounding inputs (williams Sys7, Bally etc) it could be replaced by an aftermarket or custom board using a raspberry pi to play the music/sounds you want, much like the Tilt! audio board being discussed on another thread recently.
Are you offering Chris? 😉😂

I'd love to mate but I'm a bit scared of trashing a pin that's loved by so many.

I'd really like to make Quadrophenia out of something but it would need the music so that probably rules out some of the early SS games. I don't want a DMD though because it would be too much work.
I wouldn't worry about trashing a pin your be in safe design hands, I'd be more worried that it was west ham themed 😏 who would want that 😜 still when the moving goalie breaks it would be hyper realistic 🤭

Hey,

So Holly has a 27" Wacom Tablet. She pulls inspiration from in game art and assets supplied by CD Projeck Red (the game designers). She learnt alot of drawing through a Wacom from personal training from Aaron Blaize (ex Disney 2D Artist/Director). Drag and drop wouldn't really work here as we're working in the confines of the existing playfield design.

Some drawings from JM I asked to remain such as the lady throwing the Ninja star as its a nod to the original design, whilst other elements have been built to fit around the world building. The top left Arasaka for instance is a pivotal point in the game so I wanted that represented somewhere.

The game has had an effective re-release quite recently, when the time is right i'll present this all to CD Projeck Red, hopefully they like the results.

I'd get it on PS5 over Xbox.

Some part of the struggle for Holly was realising what's in my head to end up on the playfield. I have great idea's but translating them all to paper with my stick diagrams is a nightmare. You should have seen my early drawings for my Creech topper ><
Thanks that's really interesting. my daughter starting to get interested in drawing on her tablet, useful to know what a good one to use.

Thanks PS5 at some point.

I use the WAVTRIGGER robotsonics.

It is a clever device - can start random triggers that loop when a switch is pressed (say a shooter lane) and then end the same file when it goes into trough....

Also as it is polyphonic - it can also play sound effects when other things are triggered - either momentary or loops etc.

So I'm still waiting on the ramps.There stuck in some customs hell at the moment.

I originally was hitting a bit of brick wall with my DMD animations. No one really has tried to do it the way I'm doing it. Most people would either use a P-ROC or FAST Pinball and build the Code, Animations, Call outs and Music from scratch.

For me I wanted to re-use the existing code as there's nothing wrong with it.

Call outs and Music can be easily handled through Pinsound and I have those already completed.

That left the animations.

Pinball Browser exists for Stern machines but unfourtunately there's no progress on a WPC variant.

Someone has made a program that lifts images out of the ROM code, but has no editor to amend or input new frames. This is known as WPC Edit.

This left me with Pin2DMD editor. There's very little in the way of knowledge transfer on how to get the most out of Pin2DMD Editor. Its usually designed to act as a colour editor so you can take standard DMD animation and convert it into colour.

It does however have the ability to 'replace scene's' this effectively allows me to replace a scene with my own when a keyframe is displayed in the hash of the code.

After a lot of experimentation I finally got myself into a position where I had built out the title and some other key animation.

However it wasn't loaded into my Pin2DMD. After talking to @slippifishi it dawned on me that my Firmware on the Pin2DMD was heavily out of date (3.5 when the latest firmware is 4.25).

Once I finally knew my animations would work I got to work on some scene's. My wife keeps pulling faces at my artistic skills but at the same time she refuses to draw them soooo...

View attachment 239597

View attachment 239598

I won't spoil the rest. I'll save them for the final reveal.
Fingers crossed the pin2dmd can handle it for you.

I am working on a mod that works a lot like pin2dmd but uses a full size monitor (28") instead of back glass, more like a Jersey Jack. Sadly work is so busy - I simply do not have time. My thing is like the pinsound xl but needs a SBC as well. It is a shame pinsound won't sell you the Pinsound XL board in less than 100 units. Totally no good for rethemers who want to do the 'one' game or a handful. It is absolutely perfect and allows videos/animation.

I use the WAVTRIGGER robotsonics.

It is a clever device - can start random triggers that loop when a switch is pressed (say a shooter lane) and then end the same file when it goes into trough....

Also as it is polyphonic - it can also play sound effects when other things are triggered - either momentary or loops etc.

Thanks mate, it seems quite daunting but maybe one day I'll get around to doing something. It's definitely on the to do list

The curse of the lost packages continues. This time my parcel is lost at Adalaide Airport... FFS

Pinsound Plus arrived finally, the ramps are well and truly lost I'm actually a bit worried about them as it had the harness and switches, I kept getting assured it would be fine through Australia Post. I bloody knew it wouldn't be and still I decided to choose it...

All well, here's hoping they'll arrive in the new year.

Scott
PXL_20231214_210953059.jpg

PXL_20231214_210946899.jpg

all of this looks hard work but you have made it look easy. Hopefully the ramps turn up so we can see it in action.

Well done Scott

all of this looks hard work but you have made it look easy. Hopefully the ramps turn up so we can see it in action.

Well done Scott
Thanks mate, I could say the same to you about the work you've done on TZ!

I do hope the ramps show up sooner or later...

Scott

So the ramps have been returned back to the sender!

Some 25 days later they decided that they didn't want to bother to complete the journey.

We're trying again this time with DHL.

Fingers crossed!

So the ramps have been returned back to the sender!

Some 25 days later they decided that they didn't want to bother to complete the journey.

We're trying again this time with DHL.

Fingers crossed!
I’d personally wait till after Christmas when all the mad rush has died down and postal services are back to normal.

Ramps arrived during the Xmas/New Year period. But I had to wait for the Powder coat to arrive.

Games costing me a fortune! :D

Will be a further 3 weeks for the powder coats to complete then I can finally test the game.

I've been working on the sound effects in the mean time more fine tuning to the music etc.

The left ramp wasn't produced at the time of the centre ramp and right ramp. So I bought the last left ramp on the market. Its an old NOS ramp which had no metals or decals.

Sourcing the decals was equally hard. I wanted to produce my own but gave up as its pretty hard to do a small run for reverse printed with transfer tape.

For now this ramp will do, funds are currently being transferred to TZ so I'll get the custom Wireform for the left side at a later date.

Put on new switches and cleaned up the metal work.

IMG-20240112-WA0002.jpg

After 6 long weeks I finally got the powder coated parts back.

I've been speaking with David Morrell who designed the new metal variant ramps for me. He's finished the left ramp now so after I finish burning money on TZ I'll get it ordered.

PXL_20240207_122755828.jpg

PXL_20240207_165252768.jpg

I spent yesterday evening drilling off the old rivets, done used pop rivets which required mini bolt cutters to rip through!

PXL_20240211_195212010.jpg

PXL_20240211_195215625.jpg

PXL_20240211_195227281.jpg

PXL_20240211_195229987.jpg

Had to mess around with hex spacers to get these to fit right but I'm damn pleased with the results!

PXL_20240211_225131901.jpg

PXL_20240211_225136919.jpg

On the home stretch now!

So I put on the other metal work today.

Did the support rails in pink, because why not? :D

PXL_20240212_180238253.jpg

PXL_20240212_180825052.jpg

PXL_20240212_194641429.jpg

PXL_20240212_194755564.jpg

Machine is all wired in now and operational, I had to put a handle on the coin door as the powder coat is so thick (triple coat) it would get stuck in the frame ><

I've got to dig out my latest DMD animations and Pinsound improvements, then its at the dialing in stage.

I'm relieved that the ramp shots flow like silk so no issues there!

Bit more progress tonight, mostly changes to the audio balancing, ducking and gain on call outs, music and sound effects.

For the life of me I can't find the spinner sound in this game, does it even have one? Seems off just having the spinner go with no sound effects behind it.

If anyone with a JM can confirm that would be great.

PXL_20240213_211753533.jpg

PXL_20240213_211759587.jpg

PXL_20240213_211804529.jpg

Back
Top Bottom