What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Wonka misunderstood?

huggers

Site Supporter
Alias
Andy Hug
Wonka is a big curiosity to me. It's a big telly JJP, the theme is superb, game looks beautiful. It's a Pat Lawlor but hey, not everything is perfect. No one on here seems to rate it but I frequently see the Americans bigging it up. SDTM love it, Buffalo on their latest podcast saying it takes time to appreciate the rules and ways to score etc but seem to love it. What's the deal? I might get one.

Only played a few games on site and couldn’t wait to get onto the next pin.
Looks great though.

I've been thinking about that and Hobbit recently mate. For single games or small collections I think they are serious considerations.

I have a Wonka CE.

The code is deep and complex- you need to get your head around it. Watch a few videos of gameplay/ rules..

Once you know the rules the game is addictive

Probably one of my favourite themes done by my favourite designer so I must love it, right? Er, no. Just can't put my finger on it. I get bored very quickly on this. I think it's probably the same as my feeling for all JJP games, love lovely, great light show, toys etc but the rules always seem too 'complex' and they have endless multiballs. They seem to drain the fun when you juggling 5 balls for 15 minutes and it seems exhausting. Just my opinion and I wished I loved them.

Mmmmm would you rather have a Wonka over a GnR?
I think the standard Wonka is far more stacked than the standard G&R so price comes into it.

I'm not sure I've ever seen anything quite like the G&R LE but at nearly 10k it's not even a comparison.

A second hand Wonka at around 5.5k is a lot of pinball machine for the money.

I'm seriously thinking of letting mine go as I just don't get the time to play it.
It's a decision I will come to regret as it's a beautiful game and the gameplay is challenging one you learn the rule set and understand what's what.
It will be going up for sale soon but for now if anyone is interested then get in touch.
D.

Probably one of my favourite themes done by my favourite designer so I must love it, right? Er, no. Just can't put my finger on it. I get bored very quickly on this. I think it's probably the same as my feeling for all JJP games, love lovely, great light show, toys etc but the rules always seem too 'complex' and they have endless multiballs. They seem to drain the fun when you juggling 5 balls for 15 minutes and it seems exhausting. Just my opinion and I wished I loved them.

I've heard this a few times about JJP games. I need to get out and play some but obviously quite challenging at present. Maybe I'll just take a punt on one at some point. Can always flog it

Wonka is brilliant but you do need to know how to play it to really enjoy it, I find this with most if not all JJP machines, steep learning curve but once they click boy are they addictive, really have that just one more appeal to get the x6 running in a stacked multiball!
They are ideal in the home as they can take ages to properly learn but this can lead to frustration as you can feel like your flailing around not really amounting to much.

Also sometimes you really just want to hit a ball and not think, so I turn to MMr or the like.

The rules are pants, the game is pants and basically everyone involved in it clearly never saw the movie.I had one on loan for a month, played it for the first week then didn't turn it back on. The use of the assets is terrible. No candyman, and not great use of the rest of the assets. Callouts make me want to get a sniper rifle and find the person that did them.

IMG_8938.PNG

I'm not a huge Lawlor fan- DI is the only game I've got of his. it does seem to be a marmite pinball machine.

The rules are pants, the game is pants and basically everyone involved in it clearly never saw the movie.I had one on loan for a month, played it for the first week then didn't turn it back on. The use of the assets is terrible. No candyman, and not great use of the rest of the assets. Callouts make me want to get a sniper rifle and find the person that did them.

View attachment 130890
So, you don't like it then? 😂

I know candy man isn’t in the game but are all the other songs in it ?

really enjoyed Wonka when I played it and played it loads so much so I was kinda obsessed with getting one :)
Still really want one at some point

I'm in the love it team.
Have played it almost daily since it arrived.
Still learning/perfecting. Not an expert but yes, the ruleset could be better. Trying to achieve 2 or 3 things at once isn't fun. Having said that it does keep the interest there.
It also appeals to visitors (when allowed) as everyone knows the film so has instant appeal - plus being in the wife's top 5 films made it an easy conversation.

I think is because it takes reviews across all models. A few more CE reviews have pushed it up.

Now Wonka is being discontinued, people scrambling to get one... CE’s have been snapped up

Back
Top Bottom