What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Today I mostly played Willy Wonka \0/

Colywobbles

Banned
Site Supporter
Alias
Billy Big B*llocks
A disclamer before I start! I love JJP pins and currently own TH and recently sold WOZ (regrets) I have played DI and really enjoy the game but the theme was just not my cuppa T. I also like Lawler stuff due to his layouts and have owned most of his pins at some point and currently have TZ in my lineup.

My two-penneth for what it’s worth after 2hr of play in quiet surroundings.

1st game was wow the sound was pure ear candy to me but I could maybe see it annoying some it flowed well and I loved the skill shot, although I never quite mastered it I could imagine in a home use environment it would become pretty easy. That said there was a super skill shot which I managed once in the dozen or so games I had.
Once I started to get a feel for the table I really liked the flow and as I was in a 3 player game could glean some much needed info as these deeper ruleset games often leave me a little Confused in the early days.(for me anyhow)

I eventually managed a multiball or two and even a few jackpots and Paul got the umpalumpa multiball which looked and sounded fun. I also managed an extra ball which got tagged onto the end of the game like other JJP games which I quite like for a change and works well in a party game mode(2-4) players. While on that subject I liked the fact you could steal your opponents balls he locked on the back elevator thingamygig but not sure if this only on LE up. However I never actually managed to get a ball locked up there but did open up the shot near the end of my session but no cigar unfortunately.
Later games saw me actually trying for shots and getting a satisfying feeling when I actually made them and I watched as Chris was dialled into 15 Wonka bar ramp combo I never managed to perform so a lucky fluke I guess;)

I never really scratched the surface of the game and although the display was very busy and a little confusing it looked really nice and the Wonka vision was implemented far better than my Hobbit often pointing out shots and helping you along the way. Overall both screens were a hit for me and I’m sure if I owned one it would be obvious what I was looking at/for

My conclusion:
What did I like? pretty much everything, I want one and so does Paul lol.
I don’t usually get an instant like for a game as they usually grow on me, it was a year after release before I bought GOTG, IM & DP even though I had played them all. Same goes for WOZ & TH I warmed to them and now love them both for different reasons.
When I get a Wonka not “if” I will get an LE. The extra features of the rotating gob stopper lock and the upper wonkavator lock were really nice touches and even the implementation of the camera which I much prefer to DI one as it snaps a photo and sort of dissolves to the corner in a pixelated way which is hard to describe. The cabinet art was really glossy and the extra art of Wonka himself was welcome next to the basic art of the standard cab, this was all complimented really nice with lovely candy coated hardware that sparkled beautifully.
The light show was typical of JJP but not quite as in ya face bling of WOZ, used differently to TH & DI. The sound was nice and crisp in a wacky kinda way and suited the pin perfectly.
A+ from me, maybe Paul could tag his thoughts on the thread.

What did I not like:
I didn’t like heading off home as that was the end of my Wonka session till maybe I can make Tilt or either me or Paul end up with one which I think will happen at some point.
I remember watching Wonka as a kid but wasn’t really a fan unlike probably many on here so I can’t comment on whether it does justice to the movie or not and whether it should have had more clips, music, sounbytes ect, ect but the way they have supported WOZ & TH with updates I’m sure this code can only get better even though it’s already great IMHO. Even theme aside I think it could be this years best Pin so far and the only other pin on my radar is JP which I doubt will surpass this but we will see.

I’ve got to give a big Shout out to both Phil & Chris for letting me sample the delights of this splendid pin it was well worth the 5hr round trip.

Col

693963E4-AF2E-4470-81B3-3E1CBE8C949C.jpeg

Last edited:
I only just noticed it's now #3 on pinside 😳

Clearly the sounds aren't putting as many off as first thought?
Doesn’t mean much in it’s first week on the chart, TNA was also number 3 in it’s first week, now 44.

Doesn’t mean much in it’s first week on the chart, TNA was also number 3 in it’s first week, now 44.
It strange you mention TNA as that was another pin I played at Tilt that gave me instant satisfaction the very 1st game.

I do wholeheartedly agree with pinside ratings running hot & cold on the release of a pin but to be honest that’s not marker on whether a pin is good or not in my eyes as we all know pins are Marmite and the next person who plays Wonka on here may equally hate it but I personally couldn’t see what’s there’s not to like!
Oh and for the record I hate marmite hehe

Totally agree TNA is the nuts. Would love to see more games like it.

And you're right of course @mark9 there is only about 18 reviews so far and half of them are straight 10s from gushers. Not what I expected though considering the decidedly underwhelming reception it got initially.

I think TNA is placed about right on the chart now, thought it was amazing at first but now after owning one for nearly a year it’s not getting a lot of play. Sound and lights are awesome but there isn’t much to shoot for, safest shot is the lock for multiball so you end up shooting that over and over, otherwise it’s a drainfest. Anyway plenty of chance to play it at Daventry as I’m taking mine there and there is also one in the comp.

Sorry to derail the thread, back to Wonka, can’t wait to try one when I get chance, not sure if there’s one coming to Pinfest?

I found the shots pretty good until I played JP but the code is disappointing on Wonka needs a lot more.

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think Tilt will have one in the next few days.

Although after moaning about it they did add Oompa Loompa multiball!

Nice write-up. I got to play Wonka back in May at the German Open. I thought it felt and played just like Dialed In, so if you like Dialed In then it's a no brainer... :thumbs:

I agree Peter it’s got a very Dialed in feeling but I thought the shots where easier to hit than Dialed in (and it doesn’t have the theatre shot with the irritating magnet!)

The LE that I played didn't play like any other JJP machine and it certainly didn't play like a Dialed In.
I loved the game and shots on Wonker in fact the whole package was so good. I don't like Dialed In at all, played it a lot but it just leaves me cold. The only thing they have alike is they are both a regular width playfield, I feel Wonker is nothing like Dialed In but that's just my opinion and it's good that we all like different things.

wLoving Willy Wonka 😆

It is a theme of my dreams... There is only a handful of theme's I'd die for...

Blue Brothers
Big Lebowski
Tranformers G1
He-Man
WILLY WONKA

Starting off this is the machine going into Tilt on Thursday... Picked it up early from @CHRIS B PINBALLS who had it for a week or so!

As the name tag suggests its LE #0094 so this has the Wonkavator Super Lock... It is a big jump in price but its a great addition to the game and also the LE over the SE looks so much better with cabinet art and the sparkle blue legs, side armour and wire forms!

Like all Jersey Jacks its jam packed with toys...
Most Secret Machine
Spining Everlasting Godstopper
Oompa Loompa Camera
Wonka Vision

Not going to run through all the rules as like all JJP there is a lot going on but once you get going you get a feel for them

A thing I love is all the multi balls
Slugworth
Gobstopper
Kid
Wonkavator
Oompa Loompa Odyssey
Wonka's Office (not got to yet)
Pure Imagination (not got to yet)

Its definitely going to be a game that gets better and better! Hobbit and Pirates are perfect examples of this... I'm hoping for more videos and sounds being incorporated as its great now but will be amazing with further additions!

Highlight of the game for me is the Wonkavator Multiball... It was a great scene in the film but on the machine once you lock the final ball into it and the video starts playing and the light show on the play field kicks in along with the shaker motor rumbling in sync with the video its a thing of beauty!!!!

npZUMbpmSDiRr99ML4K90Q.jpg

Its definitely going to be a game that gets better and better! Hobbit and Pirates are perfect examples of this

We don't really know this as those were both Keith Johnson lead programmed games. Joe Katz might not be so committed to improving the code over the next year or so in the same way a Stern game coded by Lyman Sheats is a different beast to one by Dwight Sullivan.

Of course he might work on the code even more than Keefer - I guess we'll see...

Will there be a Wonka at Pinfest?

A big thumbs up to Chris B :thumbs: played the game on Saturday for a few hours with BK SOR absolutely loved them both. Wonka is DEEEEP and the more you played the better it got. BK SOR was awesome, brutal but awesome. Both machines are right up there and so different to each other. The animations on BK were brilliant and adding in the retro old BK as a mode is a great touch. Wonka has the usual feel of quality you get from JJP and flowed really well.

@myPinballs I’m very jealous of what you’ll be receiving soon you lucky man:clap: Anyone thinking of adding either into their collection will not be disappointed. Thanks Chris for another great evening:thumbs:

A big thumbs up to Chris B :thumbs: played the game on Saturday for a few hours with BK SOR absolutely loved them both. Wonka is DEEEEP and the more you played the better it got. BK SOR was awesome, brutal but awesome. Both machines are right up there and so different to each other. The animations on BK were brilliant and adding in the retro old BK as a mode is a great touch. Wonka has the usual feel of quality you get from JJP and flowed really well.

@myPinballs I’m very jealous of what you’ll be receiving soon you lucky man:clap: Anyone thinking of adding either into their collection will not be disappointed. Thanks Chris for another great evening:thumbs:

Just to echo the above many thanks to Chris b for letting me play these. Both really nice games, if I had the cash I would have a wonka as love the theme and the gameplay was good. BK was good also but a bit brutal for me. Was good to meet up with the usual friends. Thanks again Chris B

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Black Knight Sword of Rage is coming up to pinfest thanks to the Flipout London pinball club and electrocoin - it’s a fantastic game!

Cheers,
Neil.

Back
Top Bottom