What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this a good deal for a funhouse

2 things. When looking for a 'keeper' ( whatever that is ;), then take extra time to find nice one. But, tons of games just go in and out. So, as long as you buy around market price, condition matches that price, you are fine. Play for a few weeks, months, tart it up and move it on. When I first started buying I bought what became available. Now, I am more picky and hoping/waiting for certain titles to hit the market:)

Hi Rudedog,

Where abouts are you based? I have a few pins available at the moment, come round, have a play on a few and see if any of them are what you want?

I have a varity of condition machines that will cover most of the options you have when buying, for example:

Project WCS - has chipped and cracked plastics, playfield needs new mylar fitting (supplied) but otherwise works fine, will need stripping, cleaning, re-rubbering etc. £650
South Park - Fully working game straight off location, popular site machine, wear around flipper buttons, worn target decals, needs a clean £900
Indy 500 - Used in Surrey Pinball league meeting without issue, faded cab (better than most, but they are all faded) needs a wipe. £1000
Judge Dreadd - Fully Working, with topper, not mint, but perfectly good machine £1100
Grand Prix - Newer Stern machine, pat lawlor game, with a clean would be lovely, £1950
LOTR - Bigger name title, recently given 'The Beans' by Stan the modman, a lovely example (even a european version with no playfield holes or skill posts) £3100 (or £3250 with spare nos plastics)

I know prices are each persons opinion, but you have a fair spread there. I also have Freddy, The Shadow, Stargate, Corvette and Playboy as well. Give me a call, I could use some cash as i'm getting the patio done next week.

Matt

I'm in north Devon to far from most people

That all depends how much you really want a pin? I'm in Surrey, so a good couple of hours drive, but most of those pins i bought from just as far, it is what is required to obtain a pin at a better price. if you pay for a courier (around £80) then you won't see with your own eyes or play the game to test it. If you are serious about buying a pin, either get there and collect or pay a little more and find out what you've bought when it arrives. I am happy for you to buy from me either way, but if you buy with a courier, you cant then bleat about what the pictures couldn't tell you. (unless is major, mis-representation)

Matts given you some great choices there. Wish I had some cash and space myself. And I can vouch for the mileage Matt puts in to view a pin.
JD sounds good. Plenty to do, widebody, has the topper, great first pin.

What condition are the shadow and stargate in? Obviously like alot of people id like the lotr but thats out my league at the mo

i've bought from Matt before, he's an honest dude and sells for good prices.
with your budget you should seriously think about buying his SP, I500, JD, Freddy, TS, SG, or Corvette

you have it here on a plate - a selection of titles, a known and trusted forum member with selling history, he'll probably even help you load it in your car (heh! i hope you like steps).

then if you later decide you want help with modding it or shopping it or fixing the stuff that always needs fixing ie switches and bulbs for starters, you have this place and the yahoo group. or if you go off the game, sell it for the same as you paid for it. none of Matt's prices are inflated, i promise.

pussy wind.jpg

Oh man i really want that LOTR. I wouldnt even haggle i want it that bad...."gimme gimme GIMME!" hehe....

i've bought from Matt before, he's an honest dude and sells for good prices.
with your budget you should seriously think about buying his SP, I500, JD, Freddy, TS, SG, or Corvette

you have it here on a plate - a selection of titles, a known and trusted forum member with selling history, he'll probably even help you load it in your car (heh! i hope you like steps).

then if you later decide you want help with modding it or shopping it or fixing the stuff that always needs fixing ie switches and bulbs for starters, you have this place and the yahoo group. or if you go off the game, sell it for the same as you paid for it. none of Matt's prices are inflated, i promise.

View attachment 1222

Lol would be like crypton factor trying to get a pin in my sedan. Prob be a job for Martin

What condition are the shadow and stargate in? Obviously like alot of people id like the lotr but thats out my league at the mo
The Shadow is decent, all the rings and figures, has had a sanctum repair and overlay, (most have) came out of the Pipeline with a couple of niggles, swicth needs adjusting or replacing, top playfield opto housing came loose and wall drop down infront of lock spring has come off. I just replaced it with another machine and have it in storage. £975

Stargate was John Whitfield's came out of 'Pinball at the pipeine' show with a broken flipper linkage, been in storage since, Think it was £900.

A flipper linkage is the plunger shaft and the bit of plastic that connects onto the flipper shaft.

a-15847_lg.jpg

couple of nuts to loosen the solenoid and one holding the link to the flipper shaft.

Rudi, Matt is one of the good guys he will sort you out and most of those prices are very reasonable, even very cheap in today's market, rip his arm off before they are all gone. (the machines not his arms)

drive over to his and look at the machines, pick one, pay him and organise a courier if you can't get a loan of an estate car or van for a day...? Possibly cheaper to rent a van for the day than pay a courier.

Don't actually think it's the flipper link. After 4 days of the being played solidly at the Pipeline the flipper stuck in the up position towards the end of the final day. This happened once before and the metal switch leaf itself just needed to be bent down again slightly. Should be a 10 second job and no costs involved.

Only reason I didn't mend it was that it never came back here from the Pipeline as Matt fell for the "do you want to borrow it for a few months" line so I had one less pin to shift back into the house. Naturally this then left me with a space for another machine that I promptly filled with 2 different ones:bounce:

What took the time was actually raising the funds from selling gear. I've only actually been looking to buy for 2 weeks grumpy git :0p

What took the time was actually raising the funds from selling gear. I've only actually been looking to buy for 2 weeks grumpy git :0p

You have not been looking to buy for only two weeks at all.
You where looking to buy when you first put the fish stuff up for sale , that must have taken forever to sell ( well if felt like forever ) then loads of people give you great advice for your first machine , which you totally ignore and put out a list of "A" list machines to which your budget won't cover.
Anyway this saga of looking for a machine has gone on since you first joined, around three months ago, so please for all of us on here who want to see you buy your first machine. Please do it sooner rather than later.
AKA Grumpy Git.

1: nearly everyone has overpaid for a machine at some stage, wether its their first one or whatever

2: If you buy a decent machine at say £1600 and then play it for a year before selling it at £1200 because you overpaid for it, have you really lost £400 or have you had £400 of fun on a machine ? Also would you rather pay £400 more for a machine now or get one at £1200 in a years time and have nothing in the meantime ?

Basically don't get hung up on fearing you will overpay and end up not getting anything. Also you don't need to tell everyone what you paid if you don't want to, the deal is between you and the seller.

Totally agree. In some ways doing tons of research can cause you more headaches than not as you will get so many diff opinions.

I prob overpaid back in 2002 for my first machine ,Tommy. Bought a shopped one from Swallow Amusements (still going by the way, and Steve is a good guy) , but I knew nothing about any web based forums, and nothing about pinball really beyond loving playing it and knew I wanted a Tommy. I was happy to pay what he was asking.

So I overpaid ....do I regret it ??? ...not for one minute EVER. Partly because I lucked out and got one of the nicest condition Tommys I have seen ;) but mainly because it has given me and lots of others loads of pleasure over the years, and it got me into the pin hobby big time ... made some great friends and had some great adventures along the way. Worth every penny.

Matt Vince, a much trusted community member, has given you a choice of great machines, at good prices.
I hope you find one you like, offers like that don't come along often.

Its *totally* up to you what you want to get and when you want to get it, its your money after all,
but your search has overrun into several different threads. If you aren't sure, then hold off for a bit and have a think, or save up for a machine you really, really want.

:boink: Fingers crossed rudedogg picks up a table today from Matt or we'll never hear the end of this. Any bets or guesses what he'll get? :couch2:

If you don't get one today you'll be renamed the tyre kicker ! Har, good luck.

He should get the simplest machine, as its his first and he needs to be able to repair it

if you don't get anything RD, then that's cool and totally your decision. But don't come back and continue to go on about it daily.

Good luck and listen to Matt when he advises you, he knows what he's talking about.

Back
Top Bottom