What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is 2021 your first time at UKPinfest?

Is this your first time at UKPinfest?

• Total voters

Big Phil

Site Supporter
Alias
OTWBigPhil
Just wondering how many will be visiting for the first time in a couple of weeks? This includes all the previous pinball gatherings in the past.

Still not bought a ticket yet but me and a mate are planning to go on Sunday

This be my first Pinfest and my partners first too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Second!
First was 2019 only a month after rediscovering pinball. So I'm hyped to see how different it will be as I understand pinball better as a whole!

This be my first Pinfest and my partners first too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here, she has been harassing me about it unbelievably!
Ive seen the footage of the beer delivery failure and can assure everyone they can rely on me for safe delivery’s😂

Thinking about it as I lived in the town for 10years+ and am only 30 mins away now. If somebody had a Houdini or JJP POTC to play - I’m in!

For anyone else trying to work it out
There were 5 shows with Heighway at Daventry, from 2010 through to 2014
2015 was at Heighway's factory, and the last summer show until...
2018 when Big Phil resumed the Daventry shows (and 2020 was absent due to covid)

So... I believe I was at all those, though only a day visitor for the 2010 show. And I still feel like a newbie to the scene compared to some of the friends I've made along the way

Is anyone not going because of Covid? I am still undecided.
Most people have been double vaccinated, we need to start living our lives but obviously with a bit of precaution.
If you are very vulnerable then I can understand the worry.

My first one was the last Margate show. What year would that have been Peter?
Attended them all since then.
Not officially classed as the UK show, Margate was 2004 and 2005. Was at both of those as well. I remember the MM that was in the tournament was set up so steep that the ball struggled to reach halfway up the playfield when flipped..! :rofl:
http://www.pinballpalace.co.uk/pinball_extravaganza.htm

Now you're reaching the limits of my knowledge of the UK scene since 2002, before that and you'll have to ask @DAD or @steve brum

Is anyone not going because of Covid? I am still undecided.

I've already stated what procedures are being put in place. Here it is again: -

UKPinfest will have the following safety procedures in place during the event on 27th, 28th & 29th August.
External and internal doors will be open at the top and bottom of the venue to create a natural air flow.
Hand Sanitising stations will be in place around the venue. There will also be sanitising wipes readily available for you to clean machines before and after use.
Staff will be walking the floor to regularly clean the machines.
Although the use of face masks is not mandatory from July 19th, we would advise the wearing of them when in the main venue for the safety of others unless you are exempt.
Updates will be made to the above as and when required.
We all want to have a great enjoyable and safe environment!

For anyone else trying to work it out
There were 5 shows with Heighway at Daventry, from 2010 through to 2014
2015 was at Heighway's factory, and the last summer show until...
2018 when Big Phil resumed the Daventry shows (and 2020 was absent due to covid)

So... I believe I was at all those, though only a day visitor for the 2010 show. And I still feel like a newbie to the scene compared to some of the friends I've made along the way

Ah I’ve heard so many stories of the before times with incandescent bulbs, orange DMDs and plenty of BO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Not officially classed as the UK show, Margate was 2004 and 2005. Was at both of those as well. I remember the MM that was in the tournament was set up so steep that the ball struggled to reach halfway up the playfield when flipped..! :rofl:
http://www.pinballpalace.co.uk/pinball_extravaganza.htm

Now you're reaching the limits of my knowledge of the UK scene since 2002, before that and you'll have to ask @DAD or @steve brum

who runs the pinball classification department ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Pinball "shows" have been held pretty well every year since I joined the Pinball Owners Association in 1979, but they were far simpler and smaller back then.

For those who didn't see it previously, here's the official video of the 1990 show

38 minutes in, and that trophy looks familiar, @PUP
Pretty crazy, because we saw this trophy yesterday and were wondering over it's history!

Last edited:
I've already stated what procedures are being put in place. Here it is again: -

UKPinfest will have the following safety procedures in place during the event on 27th, 28th & 29th August.
External and internal doors will be open at the top and bottom of the venue to create a natural air flow.
Hand Sanitising stations will be in place around the venue. There will also be sanitising wipes readily available for you to clean machines before and after use.
Staff will be walking the floor to regularly clean the machines.
Although the use of face masks is not mandatory from July 19th, we would advise the wearing of them when in the main venue for the safety of others unless you are exempt.
Updates will be made to the above as and when required.
We all want to have a great enjoyable and safe environment!

Hadn't seen this before and completely understand your reasons on the masks, but it's grim playing in glasses with a mask so I'll give it a miss

If you don't want to wear a mask, that's your decision. I can't enforce it.

I get the impression not many will wear a mask anyway as since the restrictions have been lifted, fewer and fewer people are wearing them.

The simple answer to the poll was NO lol

I was compiling a history of UK pinball shows but got stuck about 1986 as I know longer have all my POA mags where someone always wrote a review in the next edition with a list of games. Maybe DAD or Gary Flower can fill in the blanks? Fishtales Addams Black Knight 2000 (well the SLAM had 6 of them at once) and Vector were doing well in the most seen at shows game but the earlier events could swing it for an older game. When the "project" is complete I think the interesting games will be the ones that have been seen just once like when Bazza brought along Black Sheep Squadron , Lee Buck took Mephisto or myPinballs showed his custom High Voltage game.

My first show was 1986 in Birmingham when I was in awe of Phil Crows restored Centaur and got to play Road Kings out the box courtesy of Deith Leisure.

I've took games to every show since 1988 apart from POA 1992 (ironically when pinball was at its peak commercially in the UK) and the Margate shows which I attended but didnt take machines. Northern Lights @ Play Expo 2016 was a close thing as I bought a game off eBay on the Thursday from a guy in Lancaster who delivered it to the show on the Friday and came back to Birmingham in my mates estate who was only up there for the Sunday! (it was a TAF not a Craig David machine)

Advise to newbies is to walk the line and play every game. Start conversations with everyone. Us British are notoriously reserved but not about pinball when we are in our element! Wear you geekness with pride - you are not alone! Enjoy the rackett. Nothing like the sound of a 100 pinball machines. Shows are a good time to buy machines because 1. you may have transport so convenient and 2. a game that can withstand heavy public play over 3 days is a good sign.

The last 3 pictures are from POA show 1988 and the Centaur is the oldest owned machine in my collection and sits in the Electric Circus arcade.

6 bk.jpgpoa 88 1.jpgpoa 88 2.jpgpoa 88 3.jpg

Last edited:
Some good memories reading through these.
My first event was 2011, as a day visitor. Have attended all further events as a resident.

Enjoyed them all in different ways - especially seeing the progress I made in the comps. Didn't qualify for the finals in the first 4 comps before doing better in each successive comp - maybe this year's the year 🤞

Used to enjoy the group meal and guest speaker on the Saturday night, but that would mean no VIP session or stall ball.

Each and everyone of the reports triggered different memories, and hoping to create more shortly.

Another thing I noticed is I still have all of the pinball t-shirts I'm photod in 😀

Back
Top Bottom