What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Irish Pinball League ???

I'll get you a blaa for the next time you're down boy!
Well! Thanks for the kind, inviting words everyone. I should add that the great arcade(s) in Tramore had some fantastic flippers (as they were called then) down the years. The first one was World Fair and Rack A Ball in the early to mid 60s at 'Freddie's'. The final classic there was Theatre of Magic, but the flipper went a bit dodgy and I thought it was out of action for repairs but it never returned. I was planning to write an 'end of era' piece for the Munster Express under the title 'Tramore Loses Its FInal Pintable' after nearly 40 years since the first one arrived. Bit of lost history there! Great to hear that there are still a couple of Theatre of Magics in the 'Irish League'. Can't wait to play it again and get my name back on the Highest Scorers although the standard is going to be a lot higher than an amusement arcade.

There is still a few pins in Tramore.
The theatre of magic in the pictures is the same one from Freddies arcade

Yeah they still have a Simpson's and a csi out there, that Simpson's needs some tlc though, it's been through the wars

There is still a few pins in Tramore.
The theatre of magic in the pictures is the same one from Freddies arcade
You're right, of course. But there was a brief period where all the pinballs disappeared (possibly for repair at season's end) which was when I thought it was all over and I went for a nostalgic walk on the beach. As I said, the Theatre of Magic never returned. I intended to enquire if it might be for sale or what was wrong with it, but never did. Great to hear that Jack Burton has apparantly rescued it. I agree with him about the Simpsons which is still there. Never could get many replays, if any, from it. I wish I had documented all the machines that they had since the 60s onwards, but apart from Rack a Ball and World Fair the only other I remember with true nostalgia was 'Full House'. The rest are a blur but they kept many for years and years. Makes me wonder about all the other arcades and classic machines encountered, from Soho down to Battersea Park and beyond. Places like the Golden Goose in Victoria briefly brought in Rally machines from France, with their then futuristic plastic bumpers and super speed playing fields. Apologies for getting all vintage and retro on you....

Sad fact is that a lot of those machines are now rotting away in a dump somewhere.

It would be well worth enquiring around though and see if there are any machines in back rooms. Even if you don't have the room yourself I'm in Waterford and have plenty of space. Going to try and find some old Cabs this year as well, likes of Mortal Kombat etc

Sad fact is that a lot of those machines are now rotting away in a dump somewhere.

It would be well worth enquiring around though and see if there are any machines in back rooms. Even if you don't have the room yourself I'm in Waterford and have plenty of space. Going to try and find some old Cabs this year as well, likes of Mortal Kombat etc
Well said, Jack. I'll keep my eyes open but agree that many or most were chucked as arcades brought in more profitable machines. I recently read an article on all the lost pinballs in France where there was a thriving cafe scene but a combination of space, need for silence, difficulty in upkeep and repairs all took their toll. I often wondered about those old French rally pinballs I mentioned as I only ever saw them for a brief season and was always perplexed by them. Seems the parts wore out easily and weren't easy to replace and few survive. Dinosaur extinction!

Yeah the revenue earned by pinballs against the parts and servicing required by them is a lot less then a penny falls or video cabinet so not many survived if they had a fault that would have cost to fix.

The next meet of the Irish pinball league is on the 7th February at Skinworks on Oxford street in Belfast. The host for the day is Keith and we hope to have about 9 machines available.

1. Addams Family
2. Creature from the Black Lagoon
3. White water
4. Mary Shelleys Frankenstein
5. WWF Royal Rumble
6. Star Wars (DE)
7. Machine: Bride of Pinbot
8. Rocky & Bullwinkle
9. *Getaway: High Speed II or Roadshow*

There will be hot food served (Stew/Curry or the like) and drinks in the form of tea or coffee. Energy drinks can be purchased from the Skinworks fridge.
Practise is from 1pm until 3 when the league will run until finished (probably around 6) Entry to the league is £2 as usual and a voluntary donation of £2 to the host for supplying food and drinks is encouraged.
Please get in touch if you require or can provide lifts etc.

Parking: there are some on street parking spaces available near the venue and plenty of car parks. Tomb street is free on Sundays and is about a 2 minute walk away.
If anybody requires the address let me know.

Hopefully see you there
Ian

Hi

Great day yesterday at Skinworks (big thanks to D for the space)

unfortunately we had a few casualties in Star wars and Rocky & Bullwinkle before the weekend and then Frankenstein going up in smoke during practice (after getting the replacement LCD into it on Saturday) the sarcophagus coil locked on and burnt out.

Any way the winner on the day was Keith with Dave second and myself third. a few bonus points being scored by Keith, Jim and Myself.

Results as follows
1 Keith Boreland
2 Dave Butler
3 Ian Craig
3 Jim Brady
5 Ben Flynn
6 Karen Galway
7 Joe 45
7 Gary Hardy
9 DC
10 Leo Galway
11 Jessica Boreland
12 Autumn
12 Niamh Spain
14 Dylan
15 Daniel

Full results will be up on the league web site in the next few days hopefully...
http://ukpinballleague.co.uk/leaguetable-ir.php

A couple of pics from my phone..
Roadshow and a folded up Frankie
IMG_0417.jpeg
the rest of the line up.
IMG_0416.jpeg

Some new faces which is always good.
Also big thanks to Dave, Ben and Niamh for holding back their return trip to help with the shipping of machines back up to my house. Cheers guys you Rock :thumbs:

Yep good day out!
Hopefully Frankie is on the mend.
I didn't even get to see the colour screen!
Here's a pic of Ted .
He's in disguise for his trip to the North!
IMG-20160207-WA0006.jpeg

Hi there, just signed up after getting my first pin last week. ive a few cabs but never had a pinball before. Got the getaway off cryptkeeper (i think? based on posts here haha) loving it so far, havent stopped playing it. I was at the meetup in NAAS last year too. actually played the getaway at that and now its in my kitchen! Will definitely be picking up more pins id say! Will be at the next meetup too.

gamersireland.ie_wp_content_uploads_2016_03_1.jpg

Welcome along Keith!
I think I'll be hosting the next meet.neet to think about dates and talk to Ian.
Looking forward to it allready.
(not looking forward to getting all my games 100% at the same time tho!)

Welcome Keith, it's a slippery slope with pins! Just no way of emulating the experience of them and such a joy to play!

Cheers, yeh ill be getting another one for sure, every free minute ive had since saturday ive been playing it!

Hi, thanks a lot Ian, thats cool about the Getaway, so it was yours originally? Just wondering where it came from before yourself, would love to know its history as much as possible. Hope to make the next one alright, its only down the road from me so unless it clashes with something going on with the kids or that, ill be there. Need to start throwing a few quid to the side now to pick up another pin!

The ashtray is just so wrong it's 100% right..

I originally got the machine from the son of a guy that used to restore juke boxes. He also had a few pins and other bits and bobs. He supplied signs and stuff for themed restaurants and bars.

When his dad died a few years ago he started to sell of stuff to help out his mum.
Not a very happy story but it's a story. He still has loads of juke boxes and Coke machines, signs etc

I originally got the machine from the son of a guy that used to restore juke boxes. He also had a few pins and other bits and bobs. He supplied signs and stuff for themed restaurants and bars.

When his dad died a few years ago he started to sell of stuff to help out his mum.
Not a very happy story but it's a story. He still has loads of juke boxes and Coke machines, signs etc

I'd be very interested in some Coke machines and signs, send on his info if you could Ian :)

He doesn't really know the value of the stuff so it's all top dollar.

Was looking 5k for a broken Coke fridge, not even a particularly old one.
I can hoke out his details for you but be prepared to on the phone for a few hours !, He can talk, he is great crack but his prices are just crazy for most stuff.

He has some high end jukes but he seem to think all his stuff is high end (not sure if his dad thought it also) Most of the stuff is non operational as he managed to shift the working stuff. He has a load of stuff put through one of the local auctions here fairly regularly and nothing really sells as he has high reserves set on them.

Doh, pretty sad alright, think ill just tell my wife someone famous owned it ;)

yeah we'll George Best owned it before selling it to Liam Neeson who swapped it with Kenneth Brannagh for a Mary Shellys Frankenstein. The history got a bit hazy for a few years until I eventually bought it (without the beacon)

That better ? :wave:

Back
Top Bottom