What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home leisure direct shocker

Ha, the way to boost PH would be to give the website a link every now and again (www.pinball.co.uk) on here or on Facebook etc, not over and over or it will be a negative, just a few mentions now and again would be nice and very much appreciated.

Fancy calling themselves UK's No1 Pinball Dealer! Makes my blood boil... I've only been doing this 25 years and kept my nose clean the whole time ffs! Not like I don't know 90's games inside out or anything is it?!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Phil

I've been researching the awards. They were awarded by ECMOD Direct Commerce, a body for the direct commerce multi-channel marketing industry:

http://www.directcommercemagazine.com/news/businesstobusiness/ecmod-awards-2015

http://www.directcommercemagazine.com/about-direct-commerce

This year HLD were commended again in the "Gifts, Gadgets, Hobbies, Home Entertainment" category. They have also won awards for website design.

More info here:

https://www.homeleisuredirect.com/company/

I also noticed in a news article about a £19k bill from Virgin Media to install high speed broadband to their premises that, as of August this year, they have 22 employees, so not a small operation.

HLD are top of the search results because they've paid to be, hence the little "AD" icon. You can't get higher from natural search results. Sponsored results always sit higher otherwise no one would pay for them!

They also sit number 1 organically for pinball machines. Sponsored results don't get as many clicks as organic though, well personally I skip sponsored ads tbh. Not sure about you guys?

They probably have a dedicated web monkey/seo guy making sure they are top of the list.

ah right. makes sense. they do dominate the search results for most of their stuff. Hope it all gets sorted. I'm off down the road to Tenby to play some pinball :)

They must have a big Google Adwords budget if they're always top of the ads. You set your own price per click, the ad with the biggest set price gets to the top.

If no-one clicks on their ad, it doesn't cost them anything, well that's how it works for me anyway.

And you can set a maximum budget per day.

Never bothered looking at the site before. Looks like the average game is roughly double the going price - lots of £1k games in the 2K price bracket
Some serious price competition with the £3 off discount for GOT Premium;)

However, their site does look slick and I suspect that the interest free payment plan would appeal to some people (although anyone who needs a payment plan for a 7k toy which will depreciate rapidly really should be asking themselves if they are doing the right thing in buying one in the first place)

Some people out there really must have a lot of cash to burn. a Guitar hero game for £3500:eek: Why not just buy a Wii etc with the game for £100? Arcade people must be mad unlike the sensible pinheads.

I'd be very surprised if they get many people taking up the finance option. To my mind Home Leisure Direct seems to be the sort of place that people with plenty of money would go - the likes of musicians and premier league footballers for example. They have so much cash that they don't care if they spend £5k on a £1k game.

I've been researching the awards. They were awarded by ECMOD Direct Commerce, a body for the direct commerce multi-channel marketing industry.

"Awards are like hemorrhoids. Sooner or later every ***hole gets one" - Billy Wilder

They also sit number 1 organically for pinball machines. Sponsored results don't get as many clicks as organic though, well personally I skip sponsored ads tbh. Not sure about you guys?

I checked that out on a couple of computers (as your own search history affects how you personally see sites ranked) but yes, you are right, it came up top for me both times for non-sponsored ads.

It's disappointing, as anyone in the know would buy a pin from @philpalmer over hld, for both price and service, but people potentially new to the hobby (and not just footballers with cash burning a hole in their pockets) might be convinced to spend more money on buying the same game from them just because they are bigger and maybe have more media presence.

I checked that out on a couple of computers (as your own search history affects how you personally see sites ranked) but yes, you are right, it came up top for me both times for non-sponsored ads.

It's disappointing, as anyone in the know would buy a pin from @philpalmer over hld, for both price and service, but people potentially new to the hobby (and not just footballers with cash burning a hole in their pockets) might be convinced to spend more money on buying the same game from them just because they are bigger and maybe have more media presence.

Would that be @philpalmer of Pinball Heaven? i.e. www.pinball.co.uk

:D

You'd be disappointed, they only have a ST in the showroom right now but they did say they were putting their TAF in soon.

Oh, I won't bother then, cheers for saving me the trip! :)

I'm not sure who you mean by Andy, is that still Pinball Heaven or another seller I should be considering?

www.pinballmania.co.uk and @pinballmania here on the forum. Basic website but top service with some hard to find parts e.g. I just nabbed a DE lockdown bar. Just find what you want in the big list then ping over an email to order.

Oh that Andy. Without him I doubt I would still be into pinball - brilliant chap. In my early days of struggling with my first, well-broken pinballs he helped me time and time again. I've twice written to him thanking him for his excellent service.

He can't sell me a NIB TWD though, and neither can Phil right now, it appears I just missed a shipment.

Phil also suggested I try to find a TWD and take a good look at it and play it before I commit: it does seem to be a bit of a marmite pin. I don't supposed there's anyone near Plymouth actually has one is there?

Last edited:
Thank you for the info and offers guys.

Ian doesn't have a TWD although he has kindly invited me to try his ST and MET - both great pins and still available as NIB. Its TWD Pro I'm most interested in though.

I'd very much like to take up your offer Greg. I have a brother-in-law near Poole and my son is in Portsmouth. I need to try and arrange a visit to the area which will give the whole family a boost while I slip away and try out your TWD.

I'll be in touch.

Thank you for the info and offers guys.

Ian doesn't have a TWD although he has kindly invited me to try his ST and MET - both great pins and still available as NIB. Its TWD Pro I'm most interested in though.

I'd very much like to take up your offer Greg. I have a brother-in-law near Poole and my son is in Portsmouth. I need to try and arrange a visit to the area which will give the whole family a boost while I slip away and try out your TWD.

I'll be in touch.
Take a few tissues, you'll need them when you see Greg's setup! :p

TWD rocks. :thumbs: First 6 months or so it was iffy with pretty crap code. Now ir's a great game. Plays hard and fast but when it clicks it's up there with Metallica etc

I really like TWD now too, played the one at Play Expo in Pinball Heaven's stand and really enjoyed it.
Quite agree - absolutely love the theme and the game has grown on me enormously. Didn't think much of it initially at all - feed from the pops was dire and, whilst that hasn't changed, there really is a great game in there!!

Back
Top Bottom